[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are references to HIV and AIDS still used as a homophobic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
Why are references to HIV and AIDS still used as a homophobic scare tactic in conversation in the 21st century?
>>
>>5296215

Because:

>In 2013, in the United States, gay and bisexual men accounted for 81% (30,689) of the 37,887 estimated HIV diagnoses among all males aged 13 years and older and 65% of the 47,352 estimated diagnoses among all persons receiving an HIV diagnosis that year.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/

Not to say a huge proportion of gays have HIV/AIDS, but it is mostly an issue with them.
>>
Still tiring to hear the same shit about the "gay plague" in the 2010s
>>
i met a guy not long ago who thought he'd get aids just from shaking hands with a gay man
>>
I can understand the fear. You realize AIDS is an exceptionally painful condition to die of, right?
>>
Because there's only two groups of men that are likely to get HIV, statistically- men who have sex with men, and IV drug abusers. Black women tend to also have a good deal of the HIV going around because if all the HIV that gets passed around in prison by their men, then brought home to them.

Knowing the epidemiology of diseases is incredibly important for prevention and control efforts, period.
>>
>>5300759

There are still people who use it as justification to bully perceived "fags". That's the problem
>>
>>5300759
This is correct.
>>5300925
But this is also correct.

What we need is a synthesis of both positions:
1) Prevention requires that we target specific groups.
2) Education has to emphasize that just because a characteristic correlates to a particular group (AIDS & MSM, poverty and black people, global terrorism and muslims) this does not mean that one necessarily causes the other.
>>
>>5296215
Because it works.
Just like shouting "GET CANCER" to someone who just lost his mother to cancer works better than "go fuck yourself".
>>
>>5296215
It's basically unheard of for straights to get hiv unless they do IV drugs or fuck prostitutes.
It is the gay disease. But I have no problem with it. It's entirely preventable with a chunk of latex. It's almost surreal how so many gays get it. No sympathy on my end to pos guys.
>>
>>5300925
fags are aids carriers. sorry, bro
>>
>>5300925
And a cure for aids wouldn't solve it.
Not even the total eradication of aids.
They'll just find something else to justify their bullying.
>>
>>5296337
We got thousands of reckless insane nympho drug addicted novelty seeking narcissists here with HIV. What should we put on the form?
Did they have any gay stuff in their history?
Some, yeah.
>Bisexual it is!
>>
>>5306160

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/news/20100329/gonorrhea-getting-harder-to-treat

>>5306165

So you're saying straight men have sex with men? Quite a revelation.
>>
>>5306174
>gonorrhea-getting-harder-to-treat
This is the fault of ignorant pople who don't understand medicine, even when the doctor explicitly tells them everything they need to know.
>>
>>5306174
Are you saying your pedantic autism blinds you to the many more relevant risk factors buried under the gay narrative?
>>
>there are ppl in this thread who think straights don't get and die of severe STDs and STIs
>>
>>5296215
At least in my country despite being less than 5% of the population men who have sex with men account for 75% of new cases of HIV infection.

Accordingly its still a farily effective tool even though HIV is no longer as deadly as it once was
>>
mum and dad mostly used this to scare me out of being with another bloke after i came out as bi, said even with protection i'd probably catch something and die

they also said most homosexual men would want to rape me when i was young and told me to stay close to them in shops so the homosexuals wouldn't grab me, they said this even after i came out
>>
>>5306403
this thread is specifically about HIV and AIDS not every STI and STD.

straights proportionally do not contract HIV or AIDS as much as gay do. everyone knows this.

but no one said anything about straights never getting STD's and STI's.
>>
What's your opinion on the play RENT? I thought it was one of the worst ways possible to portray an AIDS crisis.
>>
>>5308231

>not every STI and STD

Has ANYONE ever caught them all?
>>
Gay black men, while making up only about 13% of the gay male population account for almost 73% of HIV in the gay male population. Black men are more likely to have HIV, less likely to use condoms, less likely to know about their infection and less likely to be on meds to manage their HIV infection.

I bareback with whites and Asians but will never bareback a black or mexican.
>>
>>5308299

Not using condoms every time ain't the smartest move
>>
>>5308318
B-but Asians are so cleeean!
>>
>>5308318
I am exclusively a top so the risk of me getting aids in the first place is pretty low. I avoid dirty blacks, which also keeps me safe. I was tested in October and I am clean.
>>
straight here

if a gay touches you do you get the aids?
>>
>>5308183
eerily similar to what my mother told me growing up.
>>
>>5312130
your parents know what's up. you should have listened to them more.
>>
>>5312247

About what? Predatory homosexuals or STIs?
>>
>>5308241

That's what that's about? Kind of interesting my teacher made us sing seasons of love back in elementary school then.
>>
>>5306185

It doesn't matter how MSM have such a high HIV incidence rate when your objective is to not get HIV, what matters is that they do have it. If your purpose is not to stay free of aids, but to decrease the infection rate then you would be interested in how they have the rate they do.

>>5308299

Just so you know, just because you use condoms with the blacks and Hispanics you fuck, doesn't mean your white and Asian partners do too.
>>
>>5312511

It literally has the nickname AIDS: The Musical.
>>
>>5312247
I've never had sex or even hold someones hand romantically. so I guess I did listen.
>>
>>5296215
Because straight dudes don't want women to tell them, "don't stick it in my pooper!"

Letting a dude fire his proton torpedoes up your thermal exhaust port is one of the most effective ways to transmit HIV from him to you.
>>
I'm obsessed with AIDS. Obsessed because it terrorfies me
>>
>>5306185
>gay narrative?

numbers you dont like = narrative

numbers you do like = science

got it, thanks
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.