[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would trannies still exist if gender stereotypes/gender roles/gender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: hmm.jpg (12 KB, 112x138) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
12 KB, 112x138
Would trannies still exist if gender stereotypes/gender roles/gender norms weren't a thing?
>>
It would stop meme trannies from existing

>Oh I only want to be a girl cause they get better clothing options tee hee
>>
Social dysphoria might mostly disappear (people wouldn't feel uncomfortable about being treated as the "wrong" sex if both sexes were treated the same to begin with). Body dysphoria would still exist, but transitioning (specifically the social aspects) would probably be easier.
>>
It is literally impossible to have sexual dimorphism and not have gender roles
>>
>>5262338
What do you actually mean when you envision a world in which everyone is treated the same?
>>
>>5262379
Basically a world that has no concept of gender in the social sense, people aren't treated differently because of their sex (except in things like reproduction or medical care where sex actually directly matters) and sex differences in mental and physical ability would be regarded as an individual thing, like being left-handed or right-handed. And of course acceptable clothing options wouldn't be restricted based on one's sex.
>>
>>5262318
The people that would have become trannies in this world would mostly end up rather differently. I think at least 95% of them would no longer feel like they can't be themselves without transitioning, and would only really feel very uncomfortable in sexual situations where genitals come in play.

Basically, gender dysphoria is the main motivation to transition, and in a world like that, there would be much, much less reason to experience unhappiness about your sex/gender.

Maybe 0.1% to 1.0% of trannies would still transition. The rest would likely not feel miserable enough for that (due to being able to fully express themselves and people not having incorrect expectations of their personality based on their sex) and would just live as mostly asexual individuals because they're too uncomfortable with having sex with others due to their bodies.
>>
I believe this state of mind of feeling like you don't belong to your body can be viewed similar to a case of OCD. with the difference that you are born with the latter and it develops at an early age. and the former is more like something that's set on your mind also at an early age but according to the ways you correspond with your first experiences about a variety of things. that said, I believe people can help themselves overcome that condition cause in reality you can't be born as something that in all aspects you are not
>>
>>5262412
No, like how do people live and behave in a world where everyone is neither male or female? What do you replace the structure of male and female as human identities with?
>>
>>5262432
We already have plenty of other identities, they'd just become more important in the absence of gender. I mean we already have single-gender communities (not long-term of course as they wouldn't be able to reproduce) but like even though everyone is the same gender a sort of social structure of dominant and submissive still appears. I would think something similar would occur in a society with no concept of social gender.
>>
>>5262447
What identities do you mean? How would a family unit be comprised in this world?
>>
>>5262482
>How would a family unit be comprised in this world?
Probably the same way it is now, you'd still need a male and a female for reproduction, but whereas we generally assume that the father will be the dominant partner, it will be decided more on the basis of things like personal preference or relative social status or things like that.
>>
>>5262567
So what are you going to do when the vast majority of people end up as a masculine and dominant male and a feminine and submissive female?
>>
>>5262599
#rekt
>>
>>5262599
Not that anon but you are making an assumption that by the time gender is abolished that everything will remain the same. This isn't necessarily true. What made you say that?
>>
Ive always wondered this
>>
>>5262599
It's likely that's how our gender roles were formed in the first place. It's not like a bunch of people one day sat down and arbitrarily decided them.
>>
>>5262764
How do you plan on abolishing gender?
>>
>>5262764
another anon. you are making the assumption that men and women don't decide how the want to act and that everyone wants to behave gender neutral secretly. children pick up their behavior from role models they want to identify as and most people are comfortable within their behavior.
what makes you think that gender can be "abolished" and why would that change anything?
>>
>>5262318
No one would exist because that scenario is impossible.
>>
>>5262861
Your whole argument is inconsistent. If children pick up their behavior from role models, then if those role models are gender neutral than those children will be gender neutral. There's no logical reason to think they're assuming that men and women don't decide how they want to act.
>>
>mfw the amount of armchair psychology/pseudoscience in this thread
>>
>tfw too retarded to understand jack shit about whatever people talking about
>tfw still genuinely interested in a discussion I don't understand
>>
>>5262916
Psychoanalysis is inherently a pseudo science. The entire concept of these post modern identities are built upon pseudo science
>>
It might stop the people who only transition for social reasons (the kind people would immediately make Tumblr jokes about or call transtrenders), but I really doubt that the people who feel like they're in the wrong body wouldn't still transition. If blind people can still be trans, then people in this hypothetical society can still be trans, too.

I think people really have to stop acting like they understand the workings of transgenderism. We don't know why people end up gay or trans and probably won't for a while. People just feel like they're justified in forming their own retarded hypotheses about these things because they're not the norm and are thus under the spotlight.

No matter how many hypothetical situations you create, you're not going to deconstruct these things, just stop trying and accept it as it is.
>>
>>5262420
>>5262318

Hard wired body Dysmorphia and endocrine disorders don't care about your social engineering.

It just cause you dislike medicine doesn't mean it's valid.
>>
>>5264178
Fuck you asshole. You're the kind of dickhole who blames trannies for not making sense while not being willing to do a quick 2 second google search for "gender dysphoria"
>>
>>5264537
Not them, but I don't see the point of your hostility, especially when they showed none. They didn't even state any opinions on trans people.
>>
>>5262318
Nope. The only reason trannies injected exogenous hormones and major cosmetic surgery is because they want to wear pretty frilly dresses without being mocked by society. If men could where pretty dresses without being seen as an abomination no one would transition any more as there would be no need.
>>
>>5262329
oh god im trans but more on the andro side but jesus my roommate is the biggest meme tranny. (complete coincidence we were roomed together btw)
>>
>>5264891
That will never happen though. Real men don't want to wear dresses.
>>
>>5264961
>tfw scotland
>>
>>5262318
yeah it would actually be more widespread, im sure thare are loads of guys out there who would prefer to look like women physically but it's the role and social stigma that puts them off. If there were no gender roles or stigma they could just take estro and go on about their daily lives.
>>
File: 1428109663831.png (401 KB, 961x686) Image search: [Google]
1428109663831.png
401 KB, 961x686
>>5264891
>Body dysmorphic conditions and hormonal abnormalities are all an evil science lie cause muh feels
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.