[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Esperanto Language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: 2015 esperantists.jpg (539 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
2015 esperantists.jpg
539 KB, 2048x1152
I have a crush on this Esperanto speaker:
https://youtu.be/1PlbYCIhqsk

Should I learn the language to get closer to him?
>>
>wanting to learn a shitty conlang

No fuck that, stick to natural languages. They're far superior and more useful.

Cool video though.
>>
File: lel.jpg (12 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
12 KB, 180x200
>>5250309
>language superiority'

They're just systems of communication brah.
Esperanto is just as valid as Italian, Tongan, or Guarani.
>>
>>5250412

Was being mildly facetious, but it's objectively not as 'whole' as they are. Conlangs just can't measure up or have all the features of a nat lang. And esperanto is weird as fuck syntactically/morphologically.

I love that you mentioned Guarani tho.
>>
File: esperarantistoj koreaj.jpg (80 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
esperarantistoj koreaj.jpg
80 KB, 960x720
>>5250512
I agree that most conlangs are not whole.
What makes a language whole is not its grammar, but its community.

Even the most detailed grammar books will not be able to describe/teach a language accurately.

Esperanto, like other natural languages are complete whole languages simply by the fact that they have relatively large communities, with native speakers.
>>
>>5250512
Esperanto has been around awhile, evolved, and has native speakers. It started as a conlang but at this point it is getting closer and closer to being a natlang.
>>5250299
I've learned languages with and for people. It is fun, challenging, and rewarding in it's own right; plus, you do get closer just because you enter into the same community as them for speaking a language that isn't everyday around you. I would do it but I love language.
>>
File: pepemontage.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pepemontage.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>5250558
I actually already started a couple of days ago on Duolingo.
I am not sure how long it will take me.

I feel a little foolish because I am doing it over a crush. He's openly bi, but a bit older than me.
>>
>>5250558

Where does it have native speakers? I hadn't heard about this at all. That's fascinating.
>>
>>5250299
If you have to use alt-codes to type the language on a standard 101-key keyboard, it's not a language worth learning.
>>
>>5250604
I don't know if there is a town or somewhere but there are areas with nunerous speakers, they tend to flock together, and they speak to their kids in it so they pick it up.
>>5250648
Not true. Annoying but not true. Also, the way you can tell native Germans from English speakers who learned German: ae, oe, ue, ss.
>>
Who else is a linguistics major in here?
>>
>>5250825
I minored in philology
>>
English is the only language anyone should learn. Anything else is white people being privileged.
Esperanto sounds like a spic language anyway.
>>
>>5250299
you'll spend over 100 hours learning to speak a language so you can get to know a guy? dedication.

>>5250825
my brother did
>>
Esperanto estas bela lingvo! And while I love it and am learning it it is not a good idea to learn a whole language for someone you have a crush on. You will have no motivation and probably won't stick to it if that's the only reason. If you do learn hit up Duolingo, lernu, and Esperanto- USA and do it for yourself. There are also many people in other countries that provide free lodging for young Esperanto speakers and will gladly show you their culture and language and food. We also have lovely literature and music. There are many people to meet when you learn Esperanto. Good luck.
>>
>>5252048

Also Esperanto, Edzperanto
>>
>>5251214
Could replace that with 1st world privilege since I'm learning jap moon rune speak.
>>
File: babel.png (37 KB, 1499x927) Image search: [Google]
babel.png
37 KB, 1499x927
>>5250299
Yes.

Also, join us on /r/QueerConlangers.
>>
>>5250648
Use the h-system or the x-system.
>>
>>5250299
He has a picture with a girl his wall.
>>
>>5250858

That's like the archaic name for it, isn't it. Or is that just historical linguistics?
>>
>>5251309

Ah cool. I'm getting my BA in it now. My program is heavily theory based tho, which I don't like as much to be honest.
>>
>>5250299
his mouth looks like a butthole
>>
>>5253175
Kind of an old name for it but it focuses on dead languages and more in general just on the cultural uses of language; i.e., works of literature, speaches, songs, and plays.
>>
>>5252048
Esperanto sounds like a Mexican getting raped by a Pole.
>>
>>5253315
Sounds a bit like linguistic anthro. Huh, interesting.
>>
>>5250299
For some reason knowing a language that only you and your boyfriend know sounds romantic as fuck.
>>
>>5261720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqiBHRJUAkg
>>
>>5262625
That is so adorable!
>>
>>5261720
Maybe if you want to socially isolate him and abuse him.
>>
Esperanto isn't even a good conlang. It doesn't achieve its goals at all.
>>
>>5263480
To be fair, it is the longest lasted conlang ever made. It's the largest in terms of speakers, music, literature, by a lot. Also the only conlang to ever have a native speaker.

What's the goal of Esperanto? For a grassroots hippy language to displace the politically and economically powered lingua francas?
>>
File: slavs with hats.jpg (85 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
slavs with hats.jpg
85 KB, 500x667
I read about this language a while ago.
It's a good idea.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8672371/learn-esperanto-language-duolingo-app-origin-history
>>
>be me in middle school
>took spanish instead of french, which I really wanted to take, because I learned my crush was taking spanish
>he was never in my class
>mfw all of the friends I made that year took french
>mfw hearing them all talk about their french class hijinks and feeling left out
>mfw spanish was boring and full of
>mfw had to continue taking it into high school to meet graduation requirements
>mfw that class was always living hell
>mfw the guy was only at our middle school for a year anyway before being transferred to a school for gifted children

Don't ever learn a language so you can get closer to someone you don't even know

Not unless you're genuinely interested in learning it in the first place
I often wonder where the butterfly effect-like ripples of time would have led me had I taken french
My bonds with others could have been strengthened
I might not have felt so isolated
Always consider the consequences of your actions
>>
>>5262654
Enjoy!
>>5263480
>implying
>>
>>5263574
To "create an easy-to-learn, politically neutral language that would transcend nationality." It did this by becoming a huge circlejerk of eurocentrist trash monsters and hobbyist "linguists." What a complete and total failure. Like base10 metric, it was doomed from its very foundation because of a fundamental ignorance of the necessary systems.
>>
File: togo.jpg (70 KB, 720x477) Image search: [Google]
togo.jpg
70 KB, 720x477
>>5271202
Esperanto is successfully spoken by people all around the world for the past 100 years.

https://youtu.be/0xgWd2PIxcM?t=12m20s
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.