[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people fighting to make LGBT culture mainstream when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: PPG07.jpg (42 KB, 630x473) Image search: [Google]
PPG07.jpg
42 KB, 630x473
Why are people fighting to make LGBT culture mainstream when we all know that it can't be sustained in any long term sense?

I mean, you all realize that LGBT life inherently must always be a fringe/alternative lifestyle right?
>>
>>5218476
Why was HIM so damn swishy gay?
>>
File: 1360985302280.png (304 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1360985302280.png
304 KB, 500x375
Actually, a lot of time I see 'gay culture' become 'mainstream' just a couple years down the line.
Look at how far shade made it, and that used to be for queens only.
>>
>>5218476
>I mean, you all realize that LGBT life inherently must always be a fringe/alternative lifestyle right?
Yeah fucking a hundred dudes a week and pozzing up negs at bathhouses, sure. Good thing we're not all fucking retards
>>
>>5218533
It's not even about that. It's about sustaining a culture in the long term sense over generations
>>
>>5218554
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics
>>
>>5218570
How do you intend to pass on your memetic lineage throughout time? How will you stop your population base from shrinking?
>>
to the best of my knowledge, there never used to be an officially recognized lgbt culture, gay culture in the 1800s were composed of isolated and disparate one-offs where "gay" people would meet up in the forests to do whatever because sodomy, etc, was condemned by the official culture of the time, otherwise "gay" people lived otherwise normal "straight" lives. then later on in the early 1900s when other dissenting movements (rallying for greater freedom emerged in society) people were spurred to also consider sexuality, people began coalescing in small groups in secret gay bars that society was aware of, etc, etc, and black matriarchy + the blues culture at the time also produced some small groups where blacks celebrated queerness

eventually all the different histories coalesced around 1960s when the movements reached their peak force and set into momentum a culture that was officially recognized

tbqh i think its not about making lgbt culture mainstream bc "lgbt culture" is an alternative culture, to "sustain" suggests that gay people want to remain separate from heterosexual culture, i think assimilation involves negotiations, compromises and sacrifices

like, i don't know, i think lgbt culture is destined to remain alternative until heteros significantly understand the gay struggle, or until gay people give up fighting for their rights and decide that they're okay with what they've accomplished

really it could develop in like 50 different ways because feminism, civil rights, the disability movement, etc, aren't the only factors that influence whatever it is that's fueling lgbt culture, it also has a lot to do with neoliberal politics, capitalism, surveillence, etc

but i mean, i don't really know if anything what i said is exactly accurate
>>
>>5218601
Assimilation only requires sacrifice and compromise from the dominate culture, as the alternative culture seeks to supplant it.

Historically, people who hold pride marches for their cure don't seek to assimilate into other cultures.
>>
>>5218598
>How will you stop your population base from shrinking?
nigga what

Homosexuality and transgenderism aren't hereditary in the first place but they keep popping up generation after generation. There's always going to be a sizable amount of LGBT people in the populace because it's just a naturally accurring aberration in human development
>>
>>5218476
>Why are people fighting to make LGBT culture mainstream when we all know that it can't be sustained in any long term sense
Because straight people don't like giving up their progressive cash cow.
>>
>>5218502
>look guys straight people use a word that they invented a thousand years ago
>we're really mainstream now
>>
>>5218476
>alternative
wat
>culture
wat
>>
>>5218639
I'm talking about LGBT culture as a lifestyle that is approaching mainstream institution within the next few decades

>>5218717
You don't know what alternative and culture mean anon?
>>
File: retarded.jpg (254 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
retarded.jpg
254 KB, 1224x1445
>>5218703
>>
>“LGBT culture”
>talk about sense
>>
The idea isn't to make the majority gay, the idea is for the minority not to be persecuted. It's about acceptance, not taking over.
>>
>>5218832
What the fuck do you idiots think "gay lifestyle" is? There are gay neets, gay junkies, gay sluts, gay policemen, gay artists, gay scientists, gay teachers...

The ONLY thing that we have in common is that we're males that like other males, that's it, there's no "gay lifestyle" you dumbfuck.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.