[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between "i was born in the wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: images (6).jpg (12 KB, 256x380) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
12 KB, 256x380
What's the difference between "i was born in the wrong body" and a somatic delusion?
>>
>>5211243
Fuck knows, all I know is gender dysphoria is what I have been diagnosed with and it cannot be treated with anything other than transition
>>
>>5211243
Delusion implies that they truly believe something to be reality. For example someone with anorexia nervosa actually thinks they're over weight.

Trannies are more aware than anyone else that there bodies are the sex they don't want to be.
>>
>>5211342
But they believe they're trapped in a different gender's body when their chromosomes obviously don't agree. Isn't that a somatic delusion?
>>
>>5211347
>trapped in a different gender's body
Only fag tumblrites say that. My brain is fucked and causes me to feel gender dysphoria, nothing more. I'm aware I am male and will always be male, but at least I can pass IRL and live as a girl without having to deal with society's shit.
>>
>>5211372
But you can choose who you identify as and who you fuck.
>>
>>5211378
I can choose to do whatever I like, but I desire to live as a female. I don't want to live a life doing something I don't want to do.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 436x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 436x425
>I am in the wrong body
>I am in the wrong age group
>I am the wrong gender
>I am the wrong species

What's the difference?
>>
>>5211391
You can take pills and change how you look to make you appear more as the gender you want to appear as. You can't reverse aging yet, or make yourself into a tiger.

But by all means try, that's the beauty of free will.
>>
What a shit thread. How could you miss the point by so much?
>>
>>5211347
>when their chromosomes obviously don't agree.
here we go again...

There are over twenty known genes that control what sex we are. There is one that if you have two copies of it you will be female even if you have XY genetics. There is another that will make you male, even if you have XX genetics. The system is also unstable enough that outside forces can cause the system to switch sex/gender/orientation paths part way through. It works properly most of the time, and the times it fails don't really harm the species much so they haven't been selected out.
>>
>>5211391
You lack a brain or you are and uneducated dumb fuck because you can't figure that out.
>>
>>5211347
Trannies do not literally believe they were born in the wrong body. They have a strong desire to have a different body, like how an amputee might have a strong desire to have his arm back
>>
>>5211243
Both are mental retardation, they should be locked in a psych ward jail.
>>
>>5212393
But an amputee wants to return to his body's normal state.
Trans people want to go to another gender. Its not the same
>>
http://debunkingdenialism.com/2013/12/06/being-transgender-is-nothing-like-having-a-psychotic-napoleon-delusion/

Transgender people are not psychotic, they know that they were born male and are supposed to be male. Unlike psychotic individuals, they have an insight into their symptoms and are aware that their feelings about their body are abnormal.

Also, transexuality? Waaaaaaaay more common than psychosis.
>>
>>5212382
That's very interesting, could you name the genetic disorders that causes this?

Are you suggesting that all transgender people have a genetic mutation?
>>
>>5212496
Maybe, but neither of them are "delusional"
>>
>>5212499
Yeah
I'm not the same person but I would consider transgender to be a mutation. I, like a lot of trans people, have no other members of my family that are transgender, therefore I conclude it isn't hereditary.

Also I don't consider being transgender to be a mental illness because transgender people can live healthy and normal lives once they go through transition. I consider gender dysphoria a mental illness and transition its treatment.
>>
>>5212499
I can't remember the genes but I've read a few research papers, and general articles on the current state of sex genetics. They have learned a huge amount in the past thirty years.
>>
>>5212541
My brother is transgender too. Just not as badly effected as I am. He doesn't need to transition, but I was suicidal before I started transition.
>>
>>5211243
Here, read the research: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tsOmDzA5fRX2EH5Mg11kqIg/htmlview?pli=1
>>
>>5212588
Any sources?
>>
>>5212541
But then why do so many trans people commit suicide after transition?
>>
>>5212516
I never said they were. I was just trying to understand the difference. A lot of people who live normal lives have somatic delusions
>>
What's the difference between body dysmorphic disorder and gender dysphoria?
>>
>>5212690
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/06/22/3672506/transgender-suicide-rates/

They don't. At least, not much more than the average population. Even if they do, it's more due to discrimination than anything else. Transgender people who live in accepting environments can live very happy lives.

https://www.skane.se/Upload/Webbplatser/USIL/Dokument/Sjukhusbibliotek/Johansson,%20Annika.pdf
tl;dr
In a 2009 study,95% of transgender people who went through with transition reported positive outcomes.
>>
>>5212739
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2009.03625.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20461468

Here's some more studies, all coming to the same basic conclusion that transitioning is an effective treatment for transgender individuals, and that transgender people can lead normal lives after transitioning.
>>
>>5212713
Body dysmorphic disorder is perceiving your body in a (usually negative) way that is different from what other people perceive. People with BDD usually exaggerate perceived flaws and believe themselves to be uglier than they actually are.

Gender dysphoria is similar only in that it also has to do with how one perceives the body. It is a real true sense that the body you have is not the body you were meant to have. Gender dysphoric people may be disgusted by their genitals, ashamed of their gendered features (facial hair, breasts, muscles) and instead desire some or all of the features of the opposite gender. This occurs REGARDLESS of whether or not the individual believes themselves to be attractive or not. Some very handsome men can still be extremely dissatisfied with the way testosterone affects their body.

Sometimes these are comorbid. For a while I was looking in the mirror every day, picking out all my "tells" that I was trans, all my supposedly manly features. Realizing that women have a lot of variety in their appearance and that society's perception of what a woman should look like is warped really helped me with this.
>>
>>5212773
I have BDD, I don't feel like my body is the way it's supposed to be. I should be taller, not have lean muscles, wide hips, weird voice, ugly unmanly face. I want to be a real man.
How is this different from your gender dysphoria? Because you want to be the different gender and not the same only better?
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 616x416) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 616x416
>>5211243
Neurology, endocrine biomarkers and study upon study showing its a disorder of sex development.

What's the difference between an armchair who thinks he knows more than doctors and delusions of grandeur?
>>
>>5212788
It speaks for itself really. You want to be more manly, and your assigned gender is male. These are all things that will make you more attractive.
I want boobs, and my assigned gender is male. I am fully aware that I'm gonna be a manly af looking woman. I can't help it though.
>>
>>5212802
I'm not an attractive male, I'm really short and there is nothing that a regular joe have that can make you taller. You can get boobs, shave off, hormones. I have a condition that makes putting on muscles nearly impossible I don't get hormones for that.
I'm balding, there's no cure for that. Just because I feel like my assigned gender doesn't mean I feel like I'm fully the assigned gender I should be.
Science prove how taller men have more success. I really don't see a difference to be honest family, the only difference is your body dysmorphic disorder makes you hate your body and be a woman.
>>
>>5212832
>>5212832
I see no problem with low T men getting T. I dunno why this is trotted out against trannies every so often, most of us who aren't crazy antimale radfems would absolutely support such a treatment.

>I'm balding, there's no cure for that
Actually there is it's reducing testosterone and blocking DHT.
>>
>>5212541
I think gender dysphoria actually has reasonably high correlation in twin studies
>>
>>5211383
>I want to choose the life of delusion
alrighty then
>>
>>5212899
Well, I'm not blaming you for the problem, I've been to four different physicians now and they all say that this is not the common practice and will not happen. I should learn to love and accept myself no matter what and keep going to CBT.

It's just weird to me, because I know of ftm that get testosterone and the results are results I which I could get but apparently a cis male can't get the same treatment.
>>
>>5212936
>>5212936
What exactly do you think we are deluded about?

We know we are male. Perhaps some of us believe we are woman, but that's predicated on the definition and social category of woman being changed to allow males. A disagreement of terminology rather than delusion, as obviously under a female-only definition of 'woman', yes, we are not women.
>>
>>5212954
>>5212954
I'd keep looking for a physician, to be honest familia. At a glance it seems like some doctors will do it.

Maybe you should try getting a psych to back you up on this impacting your quality of life?
>>
>>5212974
I am speaking with a psych right now, they aren't much help to be quite honest. Most of them just spout be yourself nonsense.
>>
>>5212541
>>5212594
>>5212924
The current working idea is that it's some kind of epigenetic cause though there may be genetic interactions, same with being gay.

>>5212899
In most cases I've seen of that the people aren't actually low-T but simply dissatisfied with their features and wanting to be free to dope like a body-builder without regulation.

>>5212957
Obviously disagreeing with what anon feels is right must be delusion.
>>
>>5213003
That kind of baffles me, considering t treatment for low t has very little risk of negative side effects.

Maybe you need to up the ante, act crazy and make it seem like testosterone therapy is going to prevent selfharm.

>>5213017
Well if this guy is being honest it sounds like he has something like hypogonadism or klinefelters.
>>
>>5213029
It's possible, I'm just saying what has been the case in like every instance of that sort of thing that I've personally seen.
If they have a specific condition like that then they could get tested for it and a diagnosis would make a much easier time of getting on T.
>>
>>5213053
both men and women have e and t produced, what you are saying is that someone that wants to be ftm should get more t even though they already produce t themselves (though not enough) and vice versa. but cissies should not get that, because it's so easy for them. to me that's double think.
>>
>>5213090
I can only assume that you're trolling since that is not at all what I said or think.
>>
>>5212746
"Very low quality evidence..."

Would you trust very low quality evidence on medical treatment?
>>
>>5212773
So then the steroid addict with bdd should be given more steroids too?
>>
I never felt like I was in the wrong body. I felt like there were parts of my body I needed to change in order to feel correct. And I changed them.

I've also never regarded myself as anything but female either. Other people have their hangups, but I don't rely on others for my self-actualization, so there is that.
>>
>>5213288
Works for /fit/
>>
>>5213357
Being pre-everything, whenever I try to think of myself as a girl I feel like a fucking joke.
>>
>>5213288
No
Body dysmorphic disorder can be treated in a healthier way than steroids.
There have been therapy regimens, conversion camps, pills, electroshock treatments, etc. all trying to "cure" gender dysphoria.. they all fail. The only treatment for gender dysphoria is transition.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.