[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there an association between autism and trans? picture related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 8
File: 1431068331097.png (173 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1431068331097.png
173 KB, 320x320
is there an association between autism and trans?

picture related
>>
>>5180428
Only autists actually think they can become the other gender
>>
>>5180457
still not as bad as masc4masc
>>
Going by the one study I managed to find on that topic (I think it was a Dutch study, it's been a while and I don't have access to the computer where I'd have it buried in my bookmarks).

IIRC, the results where that there wasn't a specific link between them, but that it did alter how the dysphoria can present, and in effect make it harder to diagnose for it. Basically it messes with the dysphoria shit dealing with social stuff and nuances dealing with aspects of the identity stuff. Can't remember the specifics of the conclusion, but I'm pretty sure it mentioned that diagnosis is more reliable in focusing on physical aspects rather than heavily psychological.
More "my body is X, but I would prefer to have Y and see myself with Y in the future", less "I feel like I should be treated as a Y instead of an X".

Admittedly, I do recall that the number of subjects wasn't nearly enough to make it definitive, but it was interesting nonetheless. If nothing else, my own gender psych that also happens to have a lot of experience with ASDs said that much of that was stuff she has noticed over the years herself.
>>
No but there is a high correlation to BPD Cluster B and C, that's why so many MtFs are narcissists and abusive psychopaths or completely dysfunctional and withdrawn from society.

My pet theory is that the same process that screws up the brain to cause dsyphoria also causes BPD. Wouldn't surprise me at all if BID, GID and BPD are all the same mechanism and all trans just have varying degrees of it.

BPD types also very commonly refuse to identify with their biological gender, it's a well known symptom but it's not the same as real dsyphoria. Add Tumblr to that mix and yes, trannys be craycray

Autism I sincerely doubt, Apsies tend to be asexual or at least unconcerned with gender and rarely get dsyphoria, it's absolutely not part of the spectrum symptoms
>>
>>5180508
Hm, how do depressive disorders and anxiety disorders match up with all of that, Anon? I'm honestly quite interested.
>>
>>5180428
She'll pass. Get screwed by tons of straight dudes and straight girls.
>>
>>5180508
>Apsies tend to be asexual
You would be surprised a lot of us seem to be bi.
>>
>>5180508
>completely dysfunctional and withdrawn from society
so it's connected to being trans?
for some reason I had always seen those issues as being completely separate and distinct.
>>
>>5180508
>le BPD meme
>>
>>5180508
that seems kind of presumptive. i feel i'm more withdrawn from society because 1) most people don't interest me 2) social anxiety over being trans
i am diagnosed with Bipolar type II though and combined with trans related anxiety I often have trouble functioning in everyday situations like jobs
with customer facing roles or talking on the phone.
>>
I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of mental abnormalities are correlated to each other. Left-handedness is more common than the general population for pretty much any disorder you could think of, including gender dysphoria
>>
>>5180613
>tfw ambidextrious tranny
>>
FtMs are more likely to be autistic than cis women but less likely to be autistic than cis men

MtFs are less likely to be autistic than cis men and FtMs but more likely to be autistic than cis women
>>
>>5180508
>i hate scary crazy people :( :(
>bpd

correlation =/= causation

its almost as if trans people are more likely to be abused after coming out
and that people who are abused are more likely to develop personality disorders
WOW

>craycray
are you a 15 year old boy
>>
>>5180508
>Autism I sincerely doubt, Apsies tend to be asexual or at least unconcerned with gender and rarely get dsyphoria, it's absolutely not part of the spectrum symptoms

That's not true. There are a lot of aspies are trannies and vice versa. Not lying either. There is a strong association in real life and if makes diagnosis and treatment difficult. ASD can make it uncertain if any social transition could be beneficial at all.
>>
>>5180428
I've noticed in other trans that they seem to have a good chance of mental illness or personality disorders.
It seems to be universal with people I've met that they are deeply disturbed by dysphoria and its like we are rape victims or something and have extreme ptsd about all the dysphoria and family abadonment and a lack of love and acceptance in our lives.
I've never met a trans girl who was loved abd aborted by their family so I can't really compare and have a sense of how much an awful environment for 15 years effects us.

I know I have extreme social anxiety and struggle to speak correctly, but I can really write. Its weird.
I used to have bad ocd when I was a kid and I'd wash my hands so many times they'd start bleeding but I'm not that bad anymore.
>>
>>5180855
it's almost like people abuse us knowing that it will give us mental disorders and then use those mental disorders to deny us legitimacy

almost sounds intentional when you think about it
>>
>>5180897
that is a nice theory
>>
>>5180909
so is your whacked out theory that BPD and GID and BIID and Autism are all somehow the same disorder
>>
>>5180925
i never said that at all? pls reading comprehension
>>
>>5180463
Only twinks get mad at masc4masc since it forces them to settle for other twinks.
>>
>>5180879
yeah...I was raped when I came out. And then later my family had me arrested as a threat to myself, for coming out, which is totally fine in the midwest. So I kinda do act like a rape victim with PTSD. But I'm sure it's because I am trans that I am crazy...no other factors.

>>5180897
It's too clever and evil of a plan. Well intentioned idiots are who focused their forces on me.
>>
>>5180944
dae le twinks are basically women and can't survive without my alpha seed.

some of you masc dudes are conceited as fuck and overestimate your relationship and sexual value.

for a bunch of guys that claim to hate drama so much you're a pretty consistent source of insecurity and bullshit.

i date other twinks because i like guys that are confident and don't have to constantly have their masculinity validated.

that and skinny fem men are just hot.
>>
>>5180944
Twinks love other twinks.
>>
>>5180428
Well considering that doctors only diagnose people with mental disorders for free if they don't like them, yes, lots of straight doctors call trans people autistic.

You can pay a doctor to say something bad about anyone, but that's different. A straight doctor has to really have a bone to pick with someone to do it for free. Giving someone a diagnoses involves a lot of difficult paperwork and filing.
>>
>>5180946
Wow I'm sorry that happened to you. Some people are awful human beings.
>>
>>5180546

those are Cluster C if BPD is the cause. >>5180875

I doubt there's a link, not that spectrum trans people exist.
>>
File: 1430632894949.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1430632894949.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>5181060
>lots of straight doctors call trans people autistic
what did she mean by this?
>>
>>5181078
I meant that of course straight doctors are going to lie. They're straight.
>>
>>5181073
cluster C PDs are not the same thing as depression and anxiety disorders, C is called the anxious cluster but they are not the same conditions
>>
>>5180428
let's find out.
http://www.wired.com/2001/12/aqtest/

average is 16.4
>>
>>5180944
anyone that says masc4masc clearly is not masculine themself. lifting weights and having a beard doesn't negate the fact you binge watch golden girls and have lady gaga on shuffle
>>
>>5181753
I got a 10. How is the average that high?
>>
>>5181753

pretty sure most of mine comes from severe introversion rather than autism
>>
>>5180508
>tfw narcissistic mtf
I'm not really dysfunctional though. The only thing that makes me dysfunctional is that other people in our society can't mentally handle interacting with a male who looks feminine. Because they are retards.
>>
>>5181753
Score: 49

b-but I can function
>>
>>5181753
>>
>>5181753
26 but I don't feel particularly strongly about most of my answers, I guessed a lot because I just had no clue so

I am diagnosed asperger's though so it could be accurate
>>
>>5181753

I got 11. I'm not autism spectrum, but I am moderately/severely ADHD (it fucking sucks) and I have bipolar tendencies. I take lots of pills.
>>
>>5181753
14, which makes a lot of sense since I'm pretty shy.
>>
>>5181753
>ADHD
25 because I hate you all.
>>
>>5180428
Somewhat, higher rate of autism in the trans population than the cis population.

>>5180547
I think she's married and has a daughter, or something like that.
>>
>>5181753
I got 5
idk if that makes me autistic or not but I'm also really high right now so I might be autistic at this moment
>>
>>5180493
Yeah, I have full-blown Aspergers and this describes me pretty well. My social dysphoria is tiny compared to the physical dysphoria I keep nearly throwing myself in the lake near my uni over. Partly, I think, because I was never treated as a typical guy, so I don't feel the need to change much at all socially 'cause I wouldn't be a typical girl either psychologically.
>>
>>5181753
Wait, isn't Baron-Cohen largely dismissed in autism research/care circles these days? I have a friend who used to have lectures from him and she said he's a total joke, I can't remember why.

Anyway, I got 35.
>>
>>5181753
27, trans

huh.
>>
I got a 15.
>>
>>5181753
>>
>>5181753
o... oh jeez..
>>
>>5181753
>>
>>5181753
44, wasn't expecting that
most likely the product of a friendless childhood rather than actual autism
>>
mos def
>>
>>5181753
>Study conducted by Borat's brother.
>>
>>5181753
>nobody actually read the fucking article

It says the higher you score, the more LIKELY it is that you may be diagnosed.
It also says that it is not akin to an actual diagnosis.
It also says that most people diagnosed with Aspie or autism score 32 or higher.
It also says that some of those diagnosed with a score of 32 or higher reported no difficulty functioning in their daily lives.
That said, the score tells nothing about you if you're a Normie. It's to see how likely it is that you may be diagnosed.
Anyone with something lower than 32 can just ignore the test, as it doesn't give any important conclusion then.
>>
>>5181753
>have diagnosis
>score 11
>k
>>
>>5183934
Cousin.
>>
>>5180508
Holy shit anon I just read a bit about cluster C personalities. Avoidant personality disorder describes me to a fucking T.

Am mtf. Been diagnosed with anxiety and depression. wat do. :(
>>
Maybe?
My fat hairy brother that's in his mid twenties wants to be a princess and wants to take hormones to turn into one.
I told him that's not really how it works.
He yelled at me
"EVERYONES TRANSGENDER IS DIFFERENT"
I also feel like 60-70% of mtf are hons that don't care about actually looking feminine but demand to be called a woman and use the woman's bathroom, seems autistic to me. They are old, fat, bald, have a beard, but expect to be treated as a woman? Yeaaaaa
>>
>>5184222
>go to a tranny meeting because i don't know any better
>fat, balding guy in an actual fedora
>"i recently discovered i'm trans, but without the dysphoria"
>"also, i have autism"
>55 old, hairy, smoking guy
>"i'm the president of my crossdressing club"
>>
>>5184211
live out your life in misery and shame like the rest of us PD diagnosed trannies do, that's all we're good for

we're going to die alone and unfulfilled and probably due to suicide
>>
>>5181753
16. which is interesting because I'm a veritable schizoid who avoids people and I do nearly the same thing everyday
>>
>>5180428

I did not know that cartoon was from life. hunh.
>>
>>5180428
i think there's something like 7% of trans women are autistic, so kinda? IIRC autism comes from over exposure to T in the womb so it kinda makes sense.
>>
>>5184211
I got that diagnosis, but I don't know if it's accurate anymore.
Transition well, get your surgeries, and hope to be lucky to find somebody you can really trust and help you a bit through life.

That's how you fix it.

>>5180508
>My pet theory is that the same process that screws up the brain to cause dsyphoria also causes BPD.
That's not even a theory, it's a complete dumb hypothesis.
It's much more likely that it's common for trans people to develop BPD, because BPD is believed to often be caused by physical or emotional trauma at a young age, which happens to most trans people.

>BPD types also very commonly refuse to identify with their biological gender, it's a well known symptom but it's not the same as real dsyphoria.
Afaik, they just have a weak identity, and will try to lean onto other issues to hope to fix their identity issues.

>Autism I sincerely doubt, Apsies tend to be asexual or at least unconcerned with gender and rarely get dsyphoria, it's absolutely not part of the spectrum symptoms
Aspies have a lessened understanding of gender, and also has "weak identities" (even though narcissistic), that is why you have a lengthened trans evaluation if it's discovered you're an aspie.
It also explains why so many aspies and autistis will try to cling to retarded other-kin identities.
>>
>>5181753
34... as i suspected. It's mild but it's probably there.
>>
>>5181753
Score:24

There really needs to be a neutral option.
>>
>>5180428
Yes, both are mental deficiency.
>>
>>5182812

>be me yesterday
>have ADHD
>pick up wallet to give gf cash
>get distracted for 15s
>forget where wallet is
>find it after like 5 minutes of searching
>pick it up and go into the other room
>gf calls me from the living room
>go out to talk to her
>wait where the fuck is my waller
>spend another 10 minutes looking for it in my bedroom

ajsldjslsksjdl
>>
>>5184646
Ive seen a hypothesis that the event or process where you consciously or subconsciously recognize you are not your assigned gender, is a traumatic event.
>>
>>5181061
sadly that includes many many people on this board.
>>
>>5185249
All through high school my parents and some of the faculty thought I had been raped or molested at some point. I kept telling them nothing ever happened (which is true) but they never let up on it because of my odd behavior
>>
>>5181753
I got 40 wat now?
>>
File: CNmGze1WEAAn7uF.jpg (36 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
CNmGze1WEAAn7uF.jpg
36 KB, 480x480
Do you guys think having trouble figuring out your sexuality/getting intimate is more of an aspie or a trans issue?

I don't identify with the strict definition of AGP, but literally all of my fantasies are related to being dominated preferably as a female. I have never been sexually attracted to women, aesthetically yes but more in a "I wish I could look like that" way. I am sexually attracted to penises but the male body doesn't appeal to me.
Which sucks because I don't have obvious manifestations of dysphoria apart from being totally dysfunctional in regards to sex. Since I'm likely aspie I have very rarely put myself in social situations where I had to force myself to behave male-ish, though I can recall that never went well.
>>
>>5184646
>It's much more likely that it's common for trans people to develop BPD, because BPD is believed to often be caused by physical or emotional trauma at a young age, which happens to most trans people.

trauma will certainly exacerbate BPD but it is 100% a brain structure issue. these people are bent from birth. Jeffery Dahmer wasn't ever OK.

i suggest that the ability to function in society is what is determined by trauma/social influence. that's why so many psycopaths go on to become successful in business, they had happy fulfilling childhoods that let them learn how to exploit their natural lack of emotional connection and ruthlessness whereas tranny are saddled with being misfits so they never get that chance until they deal with he dsyphoria

>>5184646
>Aspies have a lessened understanding of gender, and also has "weak identities" (

most high functioning spectrum people report extremely string self-awareness and identity, it's just not tied to their biological age or gender in particular
>>
>>5185335

I think the problem with aspies is that we try to figure things out through research and from a distance, normal people fool around in their teens or just suck some cl cock if they are curious.

I'm 23 and still not sure myself, I'm probably bi, but not exactly sure how much because of lack of experience.
>>
>>5185505
Yeah but what does that tell when it's not even just a lack of interest that prevents you from figuring out? Intimacy is appealing but when it may actually happen, I just run away in anxiety. I've never been assaulted and most aspies seem to eventually have intimate relationships like normal people, so I can't find a more fitting explanation than dysphoria as of now.
>>
>>5185498
>trauma will certainly exacerbate BPD but it is 100% a brain structure issue. these people are bent from birth.
Then it wouldn't be a personality disorder... Then it'd be a neurological disorder.
Personality disorder has to do with your personality, which is heavily influenced by your environment, and too some of your brain structure.

I would think there are a lot of people with the potential for BPD, but don't get it since there's nothing to trigger it, if we were to talk about "born with BPD traits".

>Jeffery Dahmer
BPD doesn't have to be murderer extreme, or that you even directly hurt others, some will only direct the hurt towards themselves.
>>
>>5185498
How are we both autistic and ruthless? Ruthless people know exactly how to take advantage of people, autistic people don't understand people well enough to even interact with them. We're the ones who get taken advantage of by the ruthless people. And your idea of what BPD is comes straight out of the DSM III gramps.
>>
>>5180508
there do some to be just a lot of batshit crazy MtFs out there.

narcissistic and psychopathic do seem like good descriptive words for it....
>>
>>5184646
Transition can't fix dysphoria, nor can it fix other mental issues, in fact it can make them worse.

>>5184211
>anxiety and depression

Then you've got to find a way to improve your life and break negative patterns. Seek a talented therapist, maybe group therapy.
>>
>>5186173
>Transition can't fix dysphoria
Wrong.
>nor can it fix other mental issues
Right.
>in fact it can make them worse.
I dont believe the transition is to blame but the lack of support along the way.
>>
>>5186261
Transition really can't cure someone of their dysphoria completely. It only alleviates some of it, sooner or later something will trigger you and boom dysphoria is back.
>>
>>5186289
I mean, sure, but that's because it's fundamentally something to be treated, not outright cured. You can't "cure" a schizophrenic but you still give them proper medication
>>
>>5186261
It's not wrong, many people who transition still have dysphoria because they will never be opposite gender.
The only cure for dysphoria is to let go of the delusion that you are the opposite gender or "you're in the wrong body" and separate yourself from the issue entirely. If you want to live as the opposite gender that's fine as long as you pass for it already in all aspects.

Hormone therapy can make certain mental conditions worse, the stress of transitioning especially if you don't pass can also make it worse.
>>
>>5186304
I'm just saying, they were right, you can't technically fix dysphoria by transitioning.
>>
>>5186311
>Hormone therapy can make certain mental conditions worse, the stress of transitioning especially if you don't pass can also make it worse.
I tend to agree here, I mean taking hormones makes you go through intense mood changes and can cause extra on you. Even cis women taking hrt for menopause report intense depression and anxiety unlike what they've experienced from what their body makes naturally. They say they bioidentitical and everything but there are a lot of side effects from hrt.
>>
>she
>>
File: 1420906516160.png (249 KB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
1420906516160.png
249 KB, 640x350
>>5184274
>>55 old, hairy, smoking guy
>>"i'm the president of my crossdressing club"
Brings back horrible memories when I was into trap porn. Clicking the thumbnail because it looked hot but it turned out to be an old fucking man with a 12 inch wide horse dildo up his hairy stretched asshole. Thanks old fucks for putting me off of traps/men.
>>
SERG IS IN DA BUILDIN MAH NIGGUHZZZ
>>
>>5186311
I feel most trannies make a huge fuss about their social adaption and lack any and all confidence, you can push them around a lot cause they dont really seem to know what they want. Doesn't surprise me they grow weird. Transitioning will certainly not cure your beta attitude.
I feel like most dont really know dysphoria and they usually strike me as major pussies, or maybe I'm wrong about my dysphoria but it's such a spot-on thing I feel like I could grab it and toss it around. I know I'll feel shit when I'm happy about my body, but thats as far as dysphoria goes. If I'm happy about my body and there's no reason I wouldn't be once I get better curves, I don't consider all my other issues part of my dysphoria.

And as far as hormones and emotions go... E sent me into much bigger turbolences than my bipolar ever managed to and it's like my actual emotional rollercoaster doesn't give the manic and depressive phases any chance to catch up, so in my book that's a plus. I agree however that anxiety and fading confidence in myself is something new to me since I started transitioning and I obviously didn't expect to trade those for my dysphoria but now I'm here and I'll have to manage either way. Suppose these things can be worked on eventually.
>>
I'm a tranny and most likely an aspie.

rip
>>
>>5186311
>Cancer can't be cured!
>Because even with all the surgeries and chemotherapy people still die
Yeah, if you catch it that late, your chances of curing it is pretty fucking low.
But if you catch it really early, your chances are quite good.

>>5186173
>Transition can't fix dysphoria
It can.
Even if there's some residual depression, it's not at the level of dysphoria anymore.
Obviously, it has to be done early.

>nor can it fix other mental issues
Also extremely wrong, it usually fixes A LOT of your other mental issues.

>in fact it can make them worse.
Oh wow, I didn't think things can sometimes get worse.
Maybe you'll win a noble prize for that discovery.
>>
SERGY BOIZZZ 1738
>>
File: yashi.jpg (10 KB, 249x332) Image search: [Google]
yashi.jpg
10 KB, 249x332
What's the most yashi thing you've ever done?
>>
>>5189310
Yashi aint a verb doe
>>
>>5180428
This girl is so fucking cute
>>
>>5189397
>girl
>>
>>5186900
as a trans person it depends on -what- causes those mental issues, if you are depressed because you are dysphoric then yeah it will help, i have serious mental illness that is not trans related though and so far it hasn't gone away...it's only gotten worse if anything
>>
>>5181753
22, mtf

>>5180508
mtf psychologist with bpd here: my theory is that all of the "you're male"s during development lead to those personality defects. treatment is the same either way, so labeling both is not really as big of a deal as getting therapy and being put on anti-depressants and/or hospitalized as needed (even though hospitalization has proven counterproductive against those with BPD, but there's not really any other option for suicidal, treatment-resistant illnessbros)

tldr: TrueTrans has a strong possibility of causing BPD and that explains the theory and cross-relation

As for autism and other co-morbid issues:
>OCD
Anxiety disorder that can often be confused with BPD
>Depression
tfw ugly tranny
>Anxiety
tfw ugly tranny
>Autism
social outcast syndrome and it's often commonly confused with BPD symptoms

Key difference between autism and BPD is the black and white thinking and suicidal ideation
>>
i'm APD and BP/T2, do i get to be a degenerate yet?
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.