[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>MTF is pre-HRT >Maintains roughly the same personality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
>MTF is pre-HRT
>Maintains roughly the same personality and interests throughout her life
>MTF comes out and starts HRT
>Radical shift in personality and interests toward extreme femininity

Why does this happen? I mean, I get that for a lot of girls, transition gives them the opportunity to embrace their feminine qualities. What I don't get is why do many of them turn into completely different people. Certainly they don't just up and start hating everything they loved before transition; liking stereotypically masculine things doesn't invalidate a person's female identity.

Are they just trying too hard to be women? Is that why hons are a thing?
>>
>>5674011

You don't think gender differences in behavior are explained through social influences instead of biology, do you OP?

Because society has to come from somewhere, and there's a reason why certain behaviors are similar across multiple cultures and time periods. It's not all just random habits different societies got into for no reason. It's biology, and changing hormones around changes behavior for that reason.
>>
>>5674011
there's a big chance they were only being 'masculine' in order to repress their trans side.

Also I'm not an expert, but taking hormones could have that effect as well to some extent, I guess
>>
>>5674011
>Are they just trying too hard to be women? Is that why hons are a thing?

Partially. For me, I ended up dropping a lot of stuff I used to like because of the reasons I liked things pretransition. I liked escapism and a lot of things were about coping with trans feelings or numbing myself. Once starting transition and feeling happy, why would you do stuff that was a coping mechanism for a situation not going on anymore?
people can also feel pressured to like stereotypically masculine things pre-transition to fit in. transition is a real chance to drop a lot of things, be yourself, or a a new person. it's unfair to think of all of it as overcomensation
>>
File: tombsurvival610.jpg (281 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
tombsurvival610.jpg
281 KB, 610x343
>>5674026
Well, yeah, but...

Alright, time for some anecdotes.

Before transition, I was a pretty...not hypermasculine, but I had mainly interests: guns, outdoorsmanship, DIY construction, that kind of thing. And that didn't go away when I started popping Spiro and Estradiol. I'm still passionate about these things, as rugged and masculine as these things seem to be, but that doesn't mean I identify less as a woman.

Either I'm the odd outlier that didn't experience a radical shift in interests and personality, or a lot of transwomen are really trying too hard. I don't see myself as that weird, all things considered.
>>
File: tomb_raider111.jpg (69 KB, 605x309) Image search: [Google]
tomb_raider111.jpg
69 KB, 605x309
>>5674030
>>5674038
>transition is a real chance to drop a lot of things, be yourself, or a a new person. it's unfair to think of all of it as overcomensation

Mm, I can feel. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite now, to be honest. As someone that decries disingenuity - "be yourself, goddammit," basically - it irks me when people change just to fit a given role.

I mean, if frilly skirts and pigtails are REALLY your cup of tea, by all means, have at it familia. But if you're repressing a part of yourself before or after transition, you're still repressing something so you can act the part.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 KB, 212x119) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 KB, 212x119
>tfw MTF on HRT
>tfw maintain roughly the same personality and interests throughout my life
I actually try to make my walk even more masculine as my body is becoming more feminine and act like a huge brodude asshole now just for shits and giggles
>>
>>5674011
I just became more sour when trusting people, wear more androgynous dykey clothes, starting to pull out some old boy clothes b/c they're loose on me now.

I didn't change, my inner bitch came out
>>
File: 1448011462467.jpg (274 KB, 670x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448011462467.jpg
274 KB, 670x1000
>>5674011
Because when transgirls begin taking social-construct-therapy medication, their gendered behavior changes.
>>
>>5674115
Absolutely. But in a very real way, transition is a time of self-exploration, rather than merely self-actualization.

"How important is this thing I've always done to me?"

"Would I like this thing I've never felt comfortable/safe doing?"

"How do I want to be seen, now that I have chosen to be seen?"

"Which filters do I still need, and which no longer? Would new ones make things better?"

"Why do I even like this stuff?"

And I'm sure a hundred more for every person going through it.

Self is a process. Getting it "more right" doesn't mean you're done.
>>
>>5674180
>image
iktf :(
>>
How does this happen? It's just another identity humans are capable of creating. I'm sure most of us can say that our 18 yesr old selves are very different from our 30 year old selves and probably cringe at some of the stuff we thought/did/said when we were younger. Most of us live in a mask of different personas every dingle day of identities we create for ourselves. Humans are capable of having SO many different identities in life. I highly doubt it was the case that someone was unconscoously "repressing" a side of themselves, rather they found that they enjoyed feeling a certain way and built a whole persona off of those feelings, like anything else in our life. I'd suggest you youtube "The Mask you Live in", very interesting stuff.
>>
Because your identity is always scrutinized and questioned. If you're too masculine, you're just a fetishist and don't really want to be a woman. If you're too feminine, you're acting out an offensive caricature of women and reinforcing misogyny. You can't win.
>>
>>5674011
>>MTF is pre-HRT
>shows to the world roughly the same personality and interests throughout her life
>>MTF comes out and starts HRT
mtf stops repressing
>finally shows real personality and interests
>>
>>5678259
You're making a mistake in thinking that there's a "real" personality. Also, they must've been interested in their hobbies at some level... We all live in masks, different masks throughout our lives.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.