[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can cishet women really be gay allies? We need allies, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 894.png (285 KB, 574x520) Image search: [Google]
894.png
285 KB, 574x520
Can cishet women really be gay allies?

We need allies, the gay community is too small to reasonably pass any legislation without allies. Allies with money are a good thing and cishet women control about 70% of all domestic spending meaning that companies and politicians will continue to cater to them. Cishet women are in a position to put their overwhelming privilege to work and really help out the gay community.

However, the consumer based nature of women is extremely detrimental to gay identity and gay rights. As it stands "gay" media is really just cishet women's media. That is to say, for a gay tv show or movie to get funding it must pander to the wants of cishet women. This is an extremely problematic view as it portrays stereotypical ideas what it means to be gay and then reinforces those ideas into the consumer market. Women want to see sassy gay men, so sassy gay men get tv shows. This reinforces the idea that all gay men are sassy.

Cishet women's ally-ship is largely conditional on what we can do for them. Women like us when we are doing their hair, making their clothes, decorating their houses. We are pets, not people. Sources of entertainment to make them feel good about themselves. When we do not fit these roles, women don't want any part of us.

Cishet women's ally-ship centers around cishet women, not gays. When a woman says she is an ally it is to prove to her friends that she is a good, progressive person. While any support may be better than no support, the self centered nature of women's support may be a detriment. We need people who are going to be doing more than putting on a rainbow filter and begging for likes on facebook. We need allies who will not just dump us when it is no longer vogue to support gay men (as we are currently seeing).

So should cishet women be allowed to be our allies. Pic related, it is how they like to talk over the group they are allied with.
>>
>>5646402
that comic is about racism, and women aren't any worse allies than men
sage
>>
>>5646419
I know the comic is about racism, but it also shows the way women think it is okay to talk over the group that they are "allied" with.

Also cishet men who ally with the gay movement tend to do it because they actually care, not because of what gays can do for them. Men are not in it for a sassy gay friend who will do their hair and pick out clothes. Men ally with gays because they like them as people, not as tools. Men also don't do it for appearance.

>Women: I am a gay ally because gays are so hot. I love shopping with them and they are funny. Also I am a good person. thumbs up if you agree.

>men: my bestfriend/brother/team mate turned out to be gay. He is a great person and deserves all the rights I enjoy.
>>
>>5646402
Consensus cracking.

Wait for the perfectly timed multi-post far-right manifesto after the set-up.
>>
>>5646554
Excluding toxic femininity should not be seen as far right.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.