[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A treatment for gender identity disorder has been found over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: sf-arhanghel-mihail.jpg (86 KB, 491x948) Image search: [Google]
sf-arhanghel-mihail.jpg
86 KB, 491x948
A treatment for gender identity disorder has been found over 20 years ago. What else is the medical establishment concealing?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8839957

"OBJECTIVE: The case is reported of a gender dysphoric patient who responded successfully to pharmacotherapy with pimozide.
CLINICAL PICTURE: An adult male patient with a borderline learning disability presented with cross-dressing and a strong wish to undergo a sex change.
TREATMENT: Supportive psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy with pimozide was tried.
OUTCOME: There was an excellent response to pimozide 2 mg daily, with a cessation of both cross-dressing and the wish for sex reassignment. When, after 1 year, the dose was reduced to 1 mg daily, there was a rapid return of the cross-dressing and the wish for sex reassignment. An increase in the dose again led to a remission which has been maintained since then."

http://anp.sagepub.com/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=8839957

Pay per Article - You may purchase this article for US$36.00. You must download your purchase, which is yours to keep, within 24 hours.
>>
I think CBH is decent treatment for dysphoria, coping with it that is, if one doesn't want to transition. Note I said coping and not curing.

Meditation really helps also. Ultimately though, transition, either socially, physically, or both are the best options out there right now. Sadly, in many cases, the transition itself becomes an addiction of sorts, where the individual will base their life around it and get surgery after surgery, just to realize they've wasted part of their life on it while they could've delved into other pursuits.

I think transitioning plus serious therapy is the best treatment option out there, but if you don't wanna transition, CBH helped me greatly for about 5 years. I do hope that in the future, we'll have less drastic ways of dealing with things like this.
>>
>Mr A is a 23-year-old man with a borderline learning disability, who was referred to a gender identity clinic preoccupied with thoughts of changing sex and wishing to become 'a beautiful and desirable woman with 38D breasts'.
>>
>>5576051
If you want to read the rest, search for 10.3109/00048679609065010 on Sci-Hub. It's pretty clear this person had some other issues.
>>
>>5576051
But I don't want to be a 'beautiful, desireable woman with 38D breasts', I just want to stop tricking people into thinking I was a guy, because I really don't think like a guy.
>>
So there is one case of a mentally retarded/ autistic agp cross dressing fetishist getting put on a drug and it made him lose his perversions?
That's not the same as a cure for gender dysphoria. The best we have is HRT for now.
>>
Wait so a guy with mental retardation stopped having agp fantasies when he was given a relativity large dose of a powerful anti-psychotic? Oh and there is just one instance of this, which has never been repeated? I don't see how this proves anything.
>>
>>5576113
The crossdressing fetish creates the dysphoria. Don't we all know this by now? Your sexuality molds your nature. If your fantasies involve you dressing like and acting like a girl, and that gets you hard, you're going to fall in god damn love with them until one day it becomes a part of your very being and you start to feel dysphoric.

The difference between a crossdresser and a transexual is 2 years.
>>
>Adult male cross-dressing can occur in the following: (i) transsexualism, in which the individual believes he is female or has a strong desire to be accepted as such in spite of his male anatomy, and which usually leads to medical help being sought for sex reassignment; (ii) fetishistic transvestism, in which female clothes are worn as fetish objects, with the Cross-dressing being a sexual act leading to sexual arousal and usually masturbation; (iii) double role transvestism, in which part of the individual’s life is spent as a normal heterosexual male and part dressing and passing as a female, with the individual not wishing to change sex permanently; (iv) homosexual cross-dressing, in which the individual is sexually attracted to other men, but with less intention of being considered female; and (v) schizophrenia [ 11.

Pimozide is literally a treatment for schizophrenia.
>>
>>5576127
That, from my actual real life experience, is pure bullshit.
if you transitioned because a fetish took over your life you are ill and should seek mental help.
>>
File: image.jpg (184 KB, 1200x994) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184 KB, 1200x994
>>5576127
If the person is not a crossdresser, but trans they will not 'get hard' by crossdressing you moron
>>
>>5576000
It worked on him because he was not trans but schizophrenic which is a condition that sometimes induce gender dysphoria.
Are you retarded or just trolling?
>>
>>5576160
Propably both
>>
>>5576000
That's not a peer reviewed study its a case study that nobody in 30 years has been able to replicate. Debunked by time
>>
>>5576149
>>5576150
I'm not even saying it's STILL a fetish after transition. What I'm saying is that fetishes can take on a life of their own, especially if that's the main way someone gets off. Once the fetish loses its novelty and the arousal is no longer there, there becomes an emotional attachment. For the heterosexual, the attachment could be a boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife. For the fetishist, the attachment is the idea that one needs to become a woman to become whole.

Tldr; sexuality drives our lives, doesn't matter if you think it's mental illness or not. If one gets off to the idea of BEING a woman and they have no outlet to do so, it will eventually take on a life of its own.
>>
>>5576000
>>5576042

>not peer reviewed
>paper mill that Nature and Lancet would scoff at
>impossible to replicate
Yea
>>
>>5576000
>CONCLUSION: Pharmacotherapy with pimozide should be considered in cases of doubtful gender dysphoria.
>doubtful gender dysphoria.
>>
>>5576202
Who invited Zombie-Freud to 4chan?
>>
>>5576202
Kids have body dysmorphia an starve themselves with Ana despite not having any sexuality

It's a distinct condition neurologically, so it's weird Freudians from a pseudoscience like yours want to ham fist sex into stuff biology studies say has nothin to do with it.

No wonder your discipline is a laughingstock
>>
>>5576202
Oooohh, I felt disphoric waaay before crossdressing, in fact, I'm dressing pretty androgynous, not because it got me ever off wearing tight pants, flanell and makeup, but because I think I look damn good in it and because guy clothes always made me feel miserable.
>>
>>5576000
>pimozide
All antipsychotics have severe physical but mostly psychological side effects. Dont take them if not absolutely necessary.

And by the way, dont do a sex reassignment surgery, because sex reassignment surgeries, aren't. you can't change your sex, you can only have your genitals mutilated.
>>
>>5576000
literally one alleged success in drugging versus a million unsuccessful tries since. Don't look now doc but one in a million odds at best don't look too good For a treatment
>>
>>5576234
But I want to have sex someday and I can't get off with a dick if I don't masturbate in a very certain way, so thanks for the advice, but it will be discarded.
>>
>>5576234
More importantly it only succeeded in one alleged case that nobody else has since been able to verify or reproduce since.

That's useless by clinical standards.
>>
>>5576000
>sample size 1
>entire sample learning disabled
>>
What else does /pol/ know that even the medical consensus doesn't?
>>
>>5576160
>schizophrenic which is a condition that sometimes induce gender dysphoria

...Is this true?
>>
>>5576343
Yes, that's why you see a therapist before transitioning, they make sure that you really are trans and not schizophrenic, because schizophrenia can be cured.
>>
>>5576441
Schizoprenia cannot be cured, only dealt with. If Schizophrenia could just be cured, it wouldn't be the huge name that it is.

Schizo is Hell on Earth.
>>
>>5576451
Truly sorry, but someone told me that if it's schizophrenia, you can make the person feel comfortable in a male body again, sorry for making quick assumptions
>>
>>5576441
I guess I'll have to call my doctor then.
>>
>>5576000
Nice trips, but isn't this a study with a sample size of ONE person with QUESTIONABLE gender dysphoria? Might be worthy of further experimentation, but hardly counts as "a treatment for gender identity [being] found".
>>
>>5576127
>The difference between a crossdresser and a transexual is 2 years.
This is a common meme, however:

>The crossdressing fetish creates the dysphoria. Don't we all know this by now? Your sexuality molds your nature.
This is unproven, all we know is correlation, not causation. And gender identity is generally a broader part of one's life than sexuality is; combined with the fact that there exist transgender people who are completely asexual both pre- and post-transition, it seems at least in some cases that it's gender that molds sexuality, rather than the other way around.

>>5576132
Wouldn't "double-role transvestism" be a possible explanation for genderfluid people?

>>5576189
Do you know if there have been any attempts to try the same treatment on more "typical" gender dysphoric people?

>>5576234
>And by the way, dont do a sex reassignment surgery, because sex reassignment surgeries, aren't. you can't change your sex, you can only have your genitals mutilated.
You can't change your chromosomes, but those are hardly relevant, that's like saying you can't build an addition onto a house because it doesn't appear in the original blueprints. Anatomical sex is for all intents and purposes defined by, well, your anatomy, which can be changed. Sure, a neo-vagina isn't QUITE the same as a natural one, but it's far closer to a vagina than a penis, so the most you could reasonably claim is that they're some kind of "third sex".
>>
>>5576042
>CBH
What's that?
>>
>>5576160
Thanks anon. I wondered if I should ask my doctor about it but I was hesitant because don't want to look retarded. This solves my problem.
>>
>>5576202
CD fetishist here, and currently questioning and thinking about life as fem

I present as full fem and not once have gotten aroused
I schlep around at home in fem wear, and same result

I just feel better when presenting as fem
>>
File: 1397632830358.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1397632830358.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>5576127
MtF here, legit laughed at this. Thanks for that.
>>
>>5579348
I've took similar meds and yeah they make you kinda male-thinking again in your head, but they don't fix the underlying dysphoria and in the end you only feel even worse and wanna go back to your old thought processes.

Never hated myself more than on those meds.
>>
>>5576160
>>5576441
Schizophrenia screening: yet another reason why proto-trans should see a fucking doctor instead of just self-medding. Good to know!
>>
word
>>
>>5576120
You don't understand how /pol/ "science" works.
All research and evidence that doesn't agree with them just doesn't have enough research or it's somehow faked to support the jewish conspiracy/the feminist agenda so it doesn't count and is just an appeal to athority and doctors are wrong all the time and big pharma makes sooo much money that it must all be a plot but the tiniest data blip that supports them is 100% perfect evidence handed down by God and Ronald Reagan and anyone who says any different is an anti-"true"science part of the conspiracy.
>>
>>5576234
No tranny who has done any of the research that trannies do think that grs magically transforms your every cell and makes you a cis girl who can give birth, you strawmanning retard.
The procedure is about reducing dysphoria and is the most effective treatment we have.
>>
>>5576000
i've been on many neuroleptics and now on meds that make me even dumber to treat the long term side effects. it didn't remotely affect my being trans. it disfigures you and you never go outside unless your meds are supressing it and even then you are still focusing on sensory tricks. this is stupid and gross, could have only been the product of environment, or someone who would have detransitioned for whatever reason.

the idea that trans women should be put on obsolete typicals (or *any* antipsychotics without reason) is a terrible idea. it's pharmaceutical brutality. i know this is 4chan but holy fuck: off one slanted case study? i know you're going to say "well, you're nuts, enjoy your tardive movement shit lol" but are you fucking nuts?
>>
>>5576127
That meme is older than anyone who posts here and was already dumb as fuck then.
>>
>>5585629
It seems pretty accurate, going by all of the confused fuckers here who only began crossdressing for fun and didn't think about it outside of that, then became obsessed and feel they were supposed to be born female. Kind've sad if you ask me.
>>
>>5585623
Look at it outside of your own bias. I'm a "regular" psychiatrist/doctor. You're a 24 year old telling me that you feel you're a woman and want to undergo hormonal treatments in order to grow breasts/"feel more female". I know that if you're on hormones your body doesn't naturally produce for long enough, not only will your endocrine system fuck up, you'll also be sterilized for the rest of your life. Obviously we want to look for any other alternative we can that doesn't involve powerful hormones and surgeries, to enable you to become who you "feel" you really are. Do you see why this is crazy?
>>
>>5585676
The first gender therapists were regular psychs and doctors. Your appeal to folksy old timey common sense is bad and you should feel bad especially when we're talking about science, not cute metaphors about the nature of work.
>>
>>5585766
Jesus Christ. I mean, say what you want, but current the current "treatment" for dysphoria is a gimmick at best. If societal acceptance was all it took to make the dysphoric happy, they wouldn't be killing themselves. The thing is, they want to be REAL girls. They want so desparately to be those pretty girls/guys they fantasize themselves to be. So sure, while society doesn't yet tolerate trans people in the entirety, that alone cannot be the reason for the suicide rates which we're seeing. They want to be real guys/girls. They can only go so far into their fantasy before they realize that this cannot happen. So yes, someone should clearly find a tamer alternative than feeding a fantasy that may/can never come true.
>>
>>5585789
>muh suicide maymay
The suicide rate is attempted lifetime suicide. Do you know what the words attempt and lifetime mean or are you finally going to admit that you're functionally illiterate?
>>
>>5576160
Schizophrenics tend to be struck with low estrogen and end up with osteoporosis. Why not forgo this gatekeeping shit and give them smooth skin and healthy bones?
>>
>>5585676
Gender dysphoria is caused by a physical structure in the brain, fixing it would require surgery far more drastic (and pretty much beyond what we could do safely) than say SRS and FFS. Therapy and drugs can't really fix that, the most it can do is help people deal with the conflict between their body and their gender identity, and that really isn't enough by itself unless combined with proper treatment.

>>5585789
Suicide is a combination of dysphoria itself and lack of social acceptance. So social acceptance combined with HRT and so on to treat the dysphoria does reduce suicide rates. The dysphoria doesn't COMPLETELY go away, but it's reduced by transition and social acceptance.
>>
>>5576000

wow a single case that was unable to be reproduced in someone with multiple disorders with a type of illness that lends itself to repression and lying, and where the person lived in abject misery in all circumstances.

What amazing proof that you can totally drug someone with antipsychotics - extremely potent antipsychotics - one of the most fucked up medicines in the history of psychiatry, whose sole selling point has been that they calm down people who are violently insane, and whose side effects are literally the textbook case for 'cure is worse than the disease', that fuck up all your organs, kill your iq, fuck up your brain, and cause /suicidal murderous rampages/ in otherwise healthy people and they will say whatever the fuck you want them to say about how they don't want to cross-dress now or whatever, because the murder goblins in their brain know that you bring the happy piills.

What amazing proof. We should legislate not to drug people with dysphoria, but rather, to sterilize your and legally bar you from adopting children, to make sure you do not breed. Because your stupidity is far more fucking contagious and dangerous than some people getting sex reassignment surgery.
>>
>>5576441
it can't, you fucking idiot
>>
>>5585676

You wouldn't be accepted for basic med, much less psychiatry. There's all kinds of standards to weed out the psychotic lowlifes from the sensitive profession of medicine.

The psychotics who make it in are much more low-key. Less absolutely flamingly, can't-read-wikipedia retarded.
>>
>>5586482
hmmm
>>
>>5576000
>The case is reported
Neato
>>
>>5576127
But I never crossdressed sexually and didn't start wearing women's clothes until I passed full time. How do I fit into your world view?
>>
>>5586621
Same, I totally dreaded putting on girl clothes. I swore I'd never do it ever, but the estrogen eased me into it after 1 1/2 years.
>>
File: YTcLa9t.gif (11 KB, 300x165) Image search: [Google]
YTcLa9t.gif
11 KB, 300x165
>>5586637
Pretty much. I crossdressed once of twice when i first realized i was trans because i figured that's what I'm supposed to do but it just made me feel like crap. Now female clothes are just normal. I don't really get how people can find them so sexy to wear.
>>
>>5586645
Cis girls wet their panties when they put on high heels and a skirt, just like mtf's get erect. That's what a survey said, done of 50 women.
>>
>>5586673
Wow then cis girls are fucking degenerates because I don't pop a boner every morning when I put my clothes on.
>>
>>5585676
>not only will your endocrine system fuck up
>I'm a "psychiatrist/doctor" so you can trust me :^)

Also are you literally being so lazy with your bait that you imagine/have built up a strawman that trannies don't know sterilization is a side effect of treatment?

>>5585789
>I mean, say what you want, but current the current "treatment" for dysphoria is a gimmick at best.
And all you have to offer is "I don't like that thing so you should do something else" without offering any real options or avenues for treatment, it's just feels-driven whining.

After transition modern trannies have suicide rates in-line with the general population. Now being a doctor and ignoring and denying evidence aren't mutually exclusive but the more you do it the more it undermines your supposed authority.
>>
>>5590874
Let's say that I did propose another form of treatment. Before I could even utter the word therapy out of my mouth, I would be rejected by the community for trying to repress or convert people into normalcy. There ARE trans-leaning people and even transexual people out there who are deeply distressed about their condition and would love nothing more than to be able to cope with what they have without transitioning at all, to which I say CBT is very good at doing. CBTdoesn't aim to convert the person, it aims to change the behavioral response to many forms of negative thoughts. Everyone from Schizophrenic people, Plane crash survivors and the dysphoric can benefit from this. Many of the so called "gender therapists" are so trapped up in being a social justice warrior, that they forget they're dealing with REAL people, with REAL feelings that also need to be addressed, because of the current LGBT "liberation" movement. Many patients might feel distressed because their own community is pressuring them into doing something they're not entirely comfortable doing, Again, we must consider that we're dealing with real people that have lives, love, kids, familys, other mental illnesses. Someone might consider, "Hey, maybe transition isn't right for me. I think I'm able to cope with my feelings and live a fairly normal life." Of course, therapy can be used in combination with transition which could be more effective than the former. So no, I don't believe that being transgender is a fad at all. I just believe there is so much social justice out there right now, that people are blind to the feelings of these individuals. Making a life transition, getting on Estro/Test and quite possibly having a lifetime of surgeries is a BIG step, no matter how we crack it. I think it's important to sort out those who would ultimately benefit from it, and those who would be able to live fairly normal lives without it, if that's what they desire.
>>
>>5590965
>I swear I really do care about people, unlike these nebulous evil people in a conspiracy to actually help trannies get healthcare
>>
>>5576127
But I never considered it cross-dressing. I had many older girl cousins and a lot of their normal day-to-day clothes would make their way in the family piles once they outgrew them. I probably had one pair of men's jeans, total, throughout my teens compared to that.
>>
>>5590965
>Let's say that I did propose another form of treatment. Before I could even utter the word therapy out of my mouth, I would be rejected by the community for trying to repress or convert people into normalcy.
You'd be rejected for having literally no medical credentials. But if you were an actual doctor or medical researcher, had credible studies showing that it works consistently (i.e. not a case study on one individual with extremely atypical gender dysphoria) and provides results at least comparable to transition if not better, then it would be at least considered by doctors.
>>
>>5590996
Jesus Christ, this is why it's impossible to get to some people. All I'm saying is that transition is a BIG fucking step. If someone is set on surgery and hormones, they've found their happiness, don't let me stop them, but there are people who just feel totally shitty, confused and unsure about their situation and just want someone to talk to. Look, once you are confident in what you're doing, you've found your happiness. Obviously, with your response, you're likely a transexual who feels very strongly about what they've done about their dysphoria and aims to refute everything that a person with my opinions sais. Great, you've found community, which is very important. My goal is to either help the person find the place where they feel they fit best, or just help them cope with their feelings to live productive lives, which is okay. Is it that hard to believe that there are some out there with whom medical transition might be too much to handle?
>>
>>5590965
>Before I could even utter the word therapy out of my mouth, I would be rejected by the (scientific) community
Probably because there's a proven history of therapy alone not working for trans people and therapy is a part of medical transition.
Yes many trans people would love the option to just talk it out or take a magic pill and not be a tranny anymore but all the available research suggests that it just isn't possible so the only option left is the treatment we do have available, transition, and working to increase acceptance within society and trannies themselves, same shit as with gays. Conversion therapy fucks people up and is being banned more and more for its negative effects and lack of positive long-term results.
There is a huge difference between different conditions, their mechanisms and their treatments and you comparing schizophrenia with trauma in your argument of how a completely different disorder should be treated is just evidence that this is armchair-phsychology. We know therapy alone doesn't work for trans people, that's why transition is the standard treatment.
>Many of the so called "gender therapists" are so trapped up in being a social justice warrior, that they forget they're dealing with REAL people, with REAL feelings that also need to be addressed, because of the current LGBT "liberation" movement.
>IT'S DA LIBRUL CONSPIRACY
How about all the neurologists or just doctors in general that agree that transition is the best available treatment? Science isn't just your big bad college liberal sjw jewish boogeyman trying to destroy men and freedom.
>Making a life transition, getting on Estro/Test and quite possibly having a lifetime of surgeries is a BIG step
And it takes years instead of all happening overnight with no time to reflect.
>it's important to sort out those who would ultimately benefit from it, and those who would be able to live fairly normal lives without it, if that's what they desire
Already part of the diagnosis.
>>
>>5591048
Again, you're cherrypicking what you think you WANT to hear me write, but that isn't actully what I wrote at all. Where did I say you could "convert" anyone? I'm merely saying that there are those out there that could/wish to, live normal lives WITH these feelings. I think transitioning is the best option for those that think transitioning is the best option. Does that make sense? Whatever gives YOU community and solidarity with yourself is what you should do.
>>
>>5591056
Besides the one line of hyperbole after the original quote I used your words. If you're not one of those conversion therapy proponents then I can't actually guess what possible specific type of therapy/cbt you could be advocating for because nothing that has been tried has been effective and we don't abandon effective medical treatments for hoping something that has failed before might start working suddenly.
>I'm merely saying that there are those out there that could/wish to, live normal lives WITH these feelings.
And while wanting is nice the evidence suggests that therapy alone is not effective and trans people have a huge suicide rate pre-transition.
The diagnostic process already includes therapy and vetting out mild gender in-congruence that isn't severe enough to necessitate transition.
Whatever straman you've imagined up about the
>so called "gender therapists"
that
>are so trapped up in being a social justice warrior, that they forget they're dealing with REAL people, with REAL feelings that also need to be addressed, because of the current LGBT "liberation" movement
they don't just give a diagnosis of tranny, a life-time supply of hrt and a do-it-yourself srs kit and cut them loose when someone says they feel a little feminine/masculine or like to be androgynous. They look for clear, consistent, and continued cross-sex desire and dysphoria which based on current research and statistics necessitates transition.
>>
>>5590965
>>5591018
To add on to this, there's no trans conspiracy to prevent research into alternative treatment. Trans people don't have the political power to do that anyway, and many trans people would benefit from alternative treatments. It doesn't make sense for doctors to reject alternative treatments either, they could make just as much money if not more if using these alternative treatments, and trans people are rare enough that if a doctor really wants to make a lot of money they won't focus on trans people anyway. People who have already transitioned successfully aren't going to want these alternative treatments pushed on them personally, since they don't need them at this point, but plenty of pre-transition trans people most certainly would be interested in alternative treatment options, if such treatments were really effective
>>
>>5576042
>CBH
uhhhh
??
>>
>>5585676
haha, you'll never be a real doctor you subhuman retard
>>
>>5596506
I think they were trying to type CBT, a well-known ineffective treatment for gender dysphoria that can help gender non-conforming persons feel better about not expressing themselves as they wish.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.