[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup mah legbutts, If there are any patient people out there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: gender spectrum.jpg (202 KB, 908x691) Image search: [Google]
gender spectrum.jpg
202 KB, 908x691
sup mah legbutts,

If there are any patient people out there who can answer a question for a cis dude I would be super grateful. I’ve been thinking a lot about the idea of non-binary gender and non-binary sex, because finding the Kinsey scale illuminated a lot of unclear things about my own bisexuality. It makes sense that sexuality is a gradient, because I see het people doing homoerotic shit every day. But I have a few sticking points in my grasp of the gradient of sex as such.

I pretty much get the idea that gender is more complicated than “everyone is either a man or a woman.” Gender is a part of culture, and the way humans relate to each other is unimaginably more complex than the way animals relate to each other.

What I don’t get is the idea that sex is functionally more complicated than that. I read from an intersex website that 1% of individuals have a mixture of male and female physical characteristics. If so, male and female are terms that we can use to accurately describe the sex (not gender) of 99% of the population. Why would those terms be insufficient if they can be used to cover all but 1% of the field?
>>
>>5469989
>What I don’t get is the idea that sex is functionally more complicated than that. I read from an intersex website that 1% of individuals have a mixture of male and female physical characteristics. If so, male and female are terms that we can use to accurately describe the sex (not gender) of 99% of the population. Why would those terms be insufficient if they can be used to cover all but 1% of the field?
Because they work for most people but there's occassionally the person whose sex can't be easily classified as one or the other.
>>
>>5470033
That's not what I mean, let me put it like this.

Transwomen are women. Women belongs to gender. But they are also male, unless they transitioned from being intersex. I can't imagine a transwoman wanting to be called a male woman, though. But isn't that exactly what she is?
>>
>>5470085
gr8 b8 m8

nobody care
>>
>>5470155
I asked a question, I'm not trying to piss people off...
>>
>>5470085
Yes.

You may get screaming trannies in your thread for having said so, though. Denial fuels them.
>>
>>5470185
I really don't want to disrespect anyone with my question :/
>>
>>5469989
>male woman
Accurately describes a physiologically male transgender woman. But the minute she starts transforming her body through hormones or surgeries, she is physiologically intersex, even though this condition is artificial unlike intersex people who were born that way.

Male and female are groups of biological characteristics including genital structure, hormonal profile, genetics and more. Until the day when we can make transexuals indistinguishable from the sex of their gender, they contain a mix of sex characteristics = intersex.
>>
>>5470085
Basically, but it's usually not a meaningful classification outside of some specific medical contexts. Even in a sexual context, "male woman" isn't a useful term, because it doesn't clarify which specific aspects are still male. But we do have terms like "girl with a dick" which references a specific part of being biologically male, and basically gets the same idea across while being less ambiguous.
>>
Sex is conceptually dependent on the existence of gender. Sex doesn't actually exist.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.