[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
transgender related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Trans Am.jpg (27 KB, 400x264) Image search: [Google]
Trans Am.jpg
27 KB, 400x264
First time here.
I was hoping someone can answer these questions:
>What makes someone a woman as opposed to a man, or viceversa? I mean speaking of gender, not sex
>How do you define your gender? What makes your gender different from the other? (if you think of gender as a spectrum you can skip this obs)
I've asked a bunch of CIS people this as a survey and only got really dumb answers.
>What makes a transgender person need to transition? How can you put into words the importance of being perceived as being from the opposite sex, by people around?
>Can you put into words the importance of your physical image as a transgender person?
Thanks!
>>
No one has the answers? :/
>>
>>6569522
>What makes someone a woman as opposed to a man, or viceversa? I mean speaking of gender, not sex
>How do you define your gender? What makes your gender different from the other? (if you think of gender as a spectrum you can skip this obs)
In my opinion, it's your brain's map of your body. If your brain feels like your body should have a penis, you're a man. If your brain feels like your body should have a vagina, you're a woman.

>What makes a transgender person need to transition?
Our body map does not match our physical sex.

>How can you put into words the importance of being perceived as being from the opposite sex, by people around?
Being misgendered, while it usually doesn't bother me too much (I'm pre-transition), reminds me that my body is wrong.

>Can you put into words the importance of your physical image as a transgender person?
For me, it's very important. I think a lot about my shortness compared to other guys, my hips and breasts, and my lack of a dick. Hopefully some of that will go away after transition.
>>
>>What makes someone a woman as opposed to a man
Being seen as and treated like a woman, either by self or by others, it is relative. Someone can be considered a woman to one person but not to another etc

>>How do you define your gender? What makes your gender different from the other?
My gender is simply how i gender the people who i identify with most. I use arbitrary floating signifyers to decide wich people belong to wich gender.

>>What makes a transgender person need to transition? How can you put into words the importance of being perceived as being from the opposite sex, by people around?
Because if wee don't transition we will go insane or kill ourselves. Being perceived as the desired sex is important because it validates our identity, and basically shows that the other person sees us how either we want to be seen, or how we see ourselves. It feels horribly wrong to be misgendered.

>>Can you put into words the importance of your physical image as a transgender person?
It needs to come as close to what we want/need as possible. The further it is from that the more severe the dysphoria and mental illness becomes.
>>
>>6569522

Hormones, appearance, voice, and mannerisms.

Not listed: Chromosomes, since while they VERY STRONGLY CORRELATE, there have been too many exceptions to keep it as a law. Still a good general rule-of-thumb though.

>How do you define your gender?

Female -- Estrogen-based, looks, sounds, and acts like other females. I cannot go any more specific than that since what exactly looks/sounds/acts female can be different per culture but it's terms of whole populations: the obvious that females share more traits with other females than males is held true.

>What makes your gender different from the other? (if you think of gender as a spectrum you can skip this obs)

Males are the converse -- Testosterone-based, looks like other males, sounds like other males, and acts like other males. Likewise the exact specifics of what defines a male can vary from there, but males generally share more characteristics with other males than with females.

>What makes a transgender person need to transition?

Mental incongruity. If in the highly statistically unlikely event in which someone thinks of themselves as trans, then they may have a more deep-seated need to present female than male and over time finally blend in as any other female of the population.

>How can you put into words the importance of being perceived as being from the opposite sex, by people around?

Incredibly important. Lack thereof would result in mental anguish and symptoms of depression, typically suicide.

I had tried to make this as direct as possible without being vague, hopefully it makes sense and answers your question. Correct me otherwise; i hold these beliefs true to myself as a fellow tranny.
>>
>>6569522
If you mean gender, that's just how others see you. Gender identity is how you see yourself. Most people are more comfortable if those two things match.
Being trans isn't primarily a gender matter, though, it's one of body map. When your body map doesn't match your body, there's constant cognitive dissonance that causes distress. That's "gender" dysphoria. Transitioning is more about fixing that than about getting perceived as a gender or the other. However, once you fix it by altering your body, you begin causing dissonance in others if your phenotypical sex doesn't quite match the gender vibe you give off. That's what passing is about. Dealing with the consequences of your physical transition to still fit in the binary and get accepted in society.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.