[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Religion and Gay Stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1464821605504.jpg (200 KB, 778x675) Image search: [Google]
1464821605504.jpg
200 KB, 778x675
So I've been a Catholic my entire life, born and raised. I have recently come to terms with and accepted that I am a member of the LGBT community. I now feel as if Im being constantly scornfully watched by God. Also, how can I embrace both of these aspects of my life? How can I remain a member of the Church when they actively believe that my happiness in life has no place and is wrong?
>>
god isn't real lol
>>
>>6365398
If I could just flip a switch in my head and feel that way, I would.
>>
>>6365366
>Also, how can I embrace both of these aspects of my life

Read history, develop the historical and literary understanding that shows that Christianity is a man-made religion with no actual supernatural/divine revelation. I used to be like you. Luckily, I was always into history, and I started reading about the history of Christianity.

It's not real, mate.

>How can I remain a member of the Church when they actively believe that my happiness in life has no place and is wrong?

You don't even have to be a member. You will never be happy if you stay.

You will never be happy while supporting or being part of a group that claims an integral part of you is innately abominable. Don't waste your life. Have fun in moderation: enjoy yourself responsibly.

It's sad how much many people's lives have been ruined due to some Iron Age myths and their badly written Greek fanfictions.
>>
>>6365404
serious come up with any reason to believe in the Christian god that can't be used just as well to support another religion
>>
>tfw militant atheist but feel uncomfortable telling nice religious people they're wrong because it makes them sad
>>
>>6365407
Where should I start? How should I go about it? How long did it take you to, acclimate? I guess the word would be?
>>
>>6365408
Tbh I've always tried my best to think maybe my religion isn't 'right', and that multiple ones could be. As naive as that seems.
>>
>>6365366
>How can I remain a member of the Church when they actively believe that my happiness in life has no place and is wrong?
You can't, it's like trying to be vegiterian and belonging to a steak house eating contest.
>>
>>6365414

Only use your powers of reason to stop someone from hurting you or hurting someone else.
>>
File: h34DC0675.jpg (48 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
h34DC0675.jpg
48 KB, 500x376
>>6365425
Since we're trying to start easily, how about starting with something more accessible like reading Wikipedia articles about early Christianity? I'd recommend looking up the following:

-Historical Jesus
-Historicity of the Bible
Historical Reliability of the Gospels

Honestly, start there and just go from there.

All of our historical and literary research has shown the Bible to be wrong. Why? Because they are myths, just like the myths of pagan religions.

There was no Noah's flood or Ark, the Israelites as a people were never slaves in Egypt scholars are sure Abraham actually killed Isaac in the early version of the story, there was no Davidic Kingdom, the Book of Samuel cannot be accurate because of too many anachronisms, etc. etc...

In the New Testament, we have Luke giving blatantly false information about the Quirinus Census in order to try to place Jesus' birth in Bethlehem in order to fit with old prophecies, the entire story of Barabbas and the crowd is the result of a mistranslation by Greek scribes, we have no reliable evidence for Jesus outside of the Gospels (and don't let them fool you by saying Josephus, because researchers are sure that a later scribe inserted an edit). the entirety of Paul's backstory makes no sense...
>>
Reason will prevail!
>>
And I quote once again from Genesis.

"And God said, 'Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
' And God made the firmament and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament.
And it was so.

There you have it.
>>
>>6365366
Same.
>>6365398
Edgy detected
>>
>>6365414
It's the only thing I have to help me deal with grief. I had two people close to me die last year. It helps to imagine there's vaguely some sort of an afterlife.
>>
>>6365713
>worshipping a blood god that murders and demands sacrifice
>not edgy af
>>
>>6365485
I'm catholic (well many would call me not deserving of that title) and I completely agree with you. Many catholics and Christians know the bible is full of mistranslations, misunderstood passages etc. Most hilarious being poor onan

Problem is, when you're raised into it, it becomes a large part of your identity. Prayer is also a great form of meditation, and it helps ritualise things like chronic illness and death.
>>
I feel ya bud, grew up very Catholic as well.
Before I came out of the trans closet I identified as a lesbian, and even though the people around me tended to be accepting I felt immense guilt for it. However over time I did learn to accept myself eventually (though I've since pretty much stopped being religious). I think it's a journey to self acceptance that only you can pave the way for, though I can tell you surrounding yourself with people that don't think being lgbt is a problem within your religion (or outside it) is a good start if you can.

If you want to still go to church you'll need to find a church that is lgbt friendly, they do exist out there. Or you can try one of those nondenominational christian churches out , they tend to be pretty friendly towards pretty much anyone.
>>
File: 1465594547288.jpg (49 KB, 523x525) Image search: [Google]
1465594547288.jpg
49 KB, 523x525
OP here, thanks for all the responses. I have a lot to think about and consider. Way more then I had before, but that's not a bad thing. I really appreciate the help.
>>
In a sense I envy gays that grew up catholic as I grew up protestant, to be more specific Pentecostal.
The idea of absolution always seemed like you had someone there to talk to and could ease your journey along with you.
We grew up to suppress any feelings or ideas and there was no one to really talk to.

It turned girls into sluts and boys into bullies or neurotics.
Of course I understand its just a case of the grass being greener.
>>
I'm glad I was born Catholic and honestly can't see why I should give it up. It's just my opinion but people who grew up in non-religious families—whether fervent atheists or plainly uninterested—seem to be pretty ignorant.
>>
Im a non denominational christian and I'm trans. I believe in Jesus with all my heart and still try and follow him, nothing can make Jesus abandon you even if the other christians you know act like it.
>>
>>6365366
I only accept the New Testament, which was meant to be spread amongst the heathens, that makes the old laws of the jews kinda moot.

That and the gnostic Thomas gospel, there is nothing against homosexuality in there, that is only in the Old Testament (Torah). In fact John was the apostel who spent hours with his head on Jesus' breast. Also in Thomas, which are quotes of the living Jesus, He tells that people (male friends) should have no shame being naked.
>>
>>6365366
Religion has always been about picking and choosing what you want to believe in. The majority of Catholics don't follow everything the church tells them to. I'm Catholic too but I refuse to believe that God will send me to eternal suffering just because I stick my dick in the wrong hole.
I focus on all the good I've done and the good I will do. For me, liking men was never a choice and I'm not going to repress my urges and pretend to be straight. If God wants me to burn in hell despite all that, then I don't want to bother spending eternity with Him anyways.
>>
>>6365366
>Judge not and you shall not be judged.
>Love each other as I have loved you

Learn to tell the difference between true religion and the church of power-hungry men.

If there is a god worth believing in, it certainly doesn't hate you for being a fag, dyke, tranny or whatever. That's just intolerant people trying to guilt-trip you for their own purposes.

I myself don't like any sort of worship, but religion is easily made compatible with anything peaceful. You need two things:

>Good will
>Thinking for yourself
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.