[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RTOs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 87874328.jpg (212 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
87874328.jpg
212 KB, 640x425
Could someone please help me understand the position of RTO?

I understand the importance of keeping in touch with command, but how exactly is manning the radio a complex enough task to warrant someone specializing in it rather than it just being included in general training?

Or why aren't squad-commanders handling it since they're the ones that have to communicate with command anyway?

Are an RTO's responsibilities so focus-consuming that they don't get drawn into the fight as much as a regular rifleman?

Will RTOs be rendered obsolete by more thorough integration of communication gear into the infantryman's gear?

Apologies if I come across as ignorant. In truth I'm just a curious history buff who doesn't know as much about the military as he probably should. Thank you in advance for any information /k/.
>>
>>29956831
Their job is to carry the radio because it's annoying and gets in the way. Easier for the leader to focus on his own job.

>Are an RTO's responsibilities so focus-consuming that they don't get drawn into the fight as much as a regular rifleman?
Yes, slightly as they're either communicating or staying by the SL / PL as he communicates.

>Will RTOs be rendered obsolete by more thorough integration of communication gear into the infantryman's gear?
Not until you can squeeze down that amplifier, radio and battery into a small enough space.

Inna FDF they tend to come with a toughbook as well, depending on the level of command and unit.
>>
>>29956831
>but how exactly is manning the radio a complex enough task to warrant someone specializing in it rather than it just being included in general training?
Fancy switches and settings that you can learn and remember with 1 hour of training and maybe 2 hours of usage. Give a grunt a radio and he'll probably fail to make it work, or even do basic troubleshooting with it.
>>
>>29957027
>Their job is to carry the radio because it's annoying and gets in the way. Easier for the leader to focus on his own job.
So it's mostly an issue of how cumbersome they are and they're relatively easy to use?

>Yes, slightly as they're either communicating or staying by the SL / PL as he communicates.
So there's not really a practice of just using the RT as a wireless conduit and patching command into the SL/PL's headset? Or is that impractical due to concerns of jamming or the like?

Also, do SL/PL s update command pretty constantly in firefights, or is the RT only being used some of the time, thus freeing the RTO to act as a rifleman?

Thanks Anon!
>>
there is a lot that can go wring with radio comms and having experience on troubleshooting that shit and following procedures is a full time job.
>>
>>29957089
Sorry, didn't see this. But my other questions with >>29957118 remain.

>>29957126
What kinds of things? Mechanical issues?
>>
>>29957118
>So it's mostly an issue of how cumbersome they are and they're relatively easy to use?
Relatively easy, but if you don't have the training / have forgotten it like grunts do, you'll find trouble trying to use it correctly.

>So there's not really a practice of just using the RT as a wireless conduit and patching command into the SL/PL's headset? Or is that impractical due to concerns of jamming or the like?
I have no idea of American radio capabilities, but Finnish ones don't have such an option, that I remember at the least. It would be something of an issue with the autojamming / encryption as you'd need another radio on the same channel, with the same programming set to the correct time to decipher what the radio is sending at which point the SL might as well just carry the radio himself.

>Also, do SL/PL s update command pretty constantly in firefights, or is the RT only being used some of the time, thus freeing the RTO to act as a rifleman?
Only used when necessary, so basically, if your squad is attacking from A to B.

>Comms check
>Unit moves out
>Enemy contact
>Report enemy contact, what your unit will do
>Report results / call in support / whatever
>Report mission success / target reached
Essentially, anything the CO wants to, or you think he might want to know. Keeping a good idea of a situation on the battlefield is crucial and quite difficult from a HQ position.
>>
Not OP, but I want to know how it's handled when you need like artillery, mortars, or air support

I assume you can't just go full call of duty and say "hey man can you get some bombs/artillery on these dickheads shooting at us, we can't hit them"
>>
From using one of those I can tell you, the basics arnt complicate, everyone is taught how to call in a medac, but the advanced shit is complicate d
>>
>>29957214
The Finnish system doesn't require the person calling in to know the battery callsign or anything. Just his own location, the location of his target and a visual on it.
>>
The US Army doesn't make sure every grunt knows how to use the radio? Da fack, everyone in my military is expected to know how to use it in every aspect.
>>
File: 1392045413538.png (65 KB, 355x328) Image search: [Google]
1392045413538.png
65 KB, 355x328
>>29957268
Same thing inna FDF, but all the grunts who aren't signaliers tend to forget most of it. They can turn it on, switch channels and use it, but beyond that they're helpless.

Now imagine American grunts, who are taken from the failures of society, those with shitty ASVAB scores and from the lower classes. They'd do even worse.
>>
Shit like this irritates me.

Radios today are pretty user friendly, but the RTO is still necessary. The operator needs to know how to leverage the radio, amplifier, and antenna for terrain, load/roll encryption, leverage frequencies, memorize frequencies, memorize repirts and requests, and know where the fuck he's at, at any given time.

The PL isn't going to do all that. He's usually a junior officer, and needs adult supervision.

My RTO jimmies are rustled....
>>
>>29957214
>>29957252
Also, in case there's an actual fire officer, he can have pre-placed target reference points in important positions, so you can call in fire simply by calling out that point.
>>
Thank you for the info /k/omrades, I appreciate it.

>>29957296
Apologies RTO-san, I honestly just don't know that much about the military. I didn't mean to insinuate or offend.
>>
Bitter Springs.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.