[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i might be moving to San Antonio in a couple of months due
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: ALAMO.jpg (227 KB, 630x355) Image search: [Google]
ALAMO.jpg
227 KB, 630x355
So i might be moving to San Antonio in a couple of months due to my job. Any /k/ommandos live there or have lived there before and can give me some info about the city, surrounding communities, good ranges to go to and ranges to avoid?
>>
>>29904292
I've never shot around here, but I can tell you New Braunfels, Seguin, Schertz, and Greune (noticing a trend? save for seguin...) are all worth taking a few day trips to. (maybe not Seguin if you don't like hispanics)

In terms of the city of San Antonio, if you haven't taken a day to walk around downtown, you should, as its best to learn firsthand what the city has to offer. You've got a few missions scattered around the place, the Alamo in all its glory, a few historic places to visit, and if you're not afraid to do a little shopping for just souvenirs, then I'd recommend La Cantera, the Marcado, and the shops at La Villita just to get a basic taste.

Only gun store I know of that I personally enjoy is Bracken Guns, but Hill Country rifles is also a place to check out.

Also, become a Spurs fan to fit in. We're on the race for seis now... Brush up on or learn Spanish, as well.

Hope you enjoy it here!
>>
>>29904292
I think Zed is there. You could hang out with him.
>>
>>29904835
Thank you. Very helpful! I will keep all of this in mind.
>>29904868 Not sure who Zed is.
>>
>>29904292
>good ranges to go to
just go to google maps and find the largest patch of desert you can
>>
>>29904292
I went to college near there. go up to san marcos and hang out at the park by the river. tons of college girls. texas state is a big party most of the time.
>>
>>29904292
My sister lived there, She said you could hear gunshots all night long.
>>
>>29905117

You'll be hard pressed to find any desert near SA

>>29904835
This anon is correct on all counts. I grew up in New Braunfels and have family in SA so I visit a lot

OP, I dont know which part of SA you're moving to (pro tip, it should be on the north/east side), but Bracken is the only range in SA I've been to and it's decent.

Deitz' gun range just outside New Braunfels is very fudd, but they're really laid back and helpful, I've had a good time every time I've gone there, and I've taken a few first time shooters there. Pistol range is a little goofy in that you walk to the distance from the target you want to shoot, instead of having movable hangers, but it's alright

People in general around the SA area seemed to be laid back, and in less of a goddamn hurry than the other cities in TX I've lived. As >>29904835 if you don't brush up on your Spanish, you'll start learning quick enough. Even lots of white people use certain Spanish words frequently.

There are tons of awesome small towns nearby that offer different things, and you're on the edge of the beautiful TX hill country, if you get to know somebody with some land out there (lots of people have deer leases or own random patches of land as investments) you can have a blast. Most folks I ever knew are pretty gun friendly, if somewhat leaning on the fudd side, but still.

I might be a bit biased but there's tons of cool shit to do in New Braunfels. Schlitterbahn (if that's your thing), the river(s), are good summer spots, some pretty good eating, a few breweries now (if you're into beer), and Wurstfest and Wassailfest are cool events that pretty much the whole town goes to every year. Shit I've driven from Dallas the past 3 years for Wurstfest.

Ok, it's rambling away from /k/ related stuff, so to re/k/ap, good place, fairly cheap to live, cool stuff all around you for 50 miles, gun friendly although not a ton of ranges, best bet to meet people who's family have been around awhile who have land
>>
San Antonio weather sucks balls. Lackland's iight tho
>>
>>29905533
All of TX weather sucks balls bro. San Antonio's less hail-y than Dallas and less humid than Houston, but it's unpredictable from September to May and then just hot as shit in between

Also Lackland reminds me, I don't remember if it was there or Randolph Brooks, but if OP is into planes there's airshows, that's always fun.
>>
>>29904292
Pretty much avoid all but the North side

A Place to Shoot is a pretty solid range, but is busy pretty much every time Ive gone. Only bad thing is their rifle range only goes to 200yds. ROs have seemed pretty friendly and helpful, only seen them mad when somebody starts rapid firing (entire mag dumps) and then keep doing it after being warned. They will sell you their reloads if you dont specify what brand of handgun ammo you want though, so thats the only bad thing ive seen from them.

Riverwalk is overrated, the alamo has been ruined by all the retarded shit they built around it, and coming downtown at all is just dumb unless you want to see a shit ton of homeless people begging all the tourists for money.
>>
>>29905763
Im retarded, put only bad thing twice, so two bad things.
>>
San antonio has spells of high humidity, so golden rods in the safe.

Bracken range charges by gun
Bullet hole charges by shooter
Both cheap-o ranges

Blackhawk range is a good one to go to if you dont mind spending more.

Indoor wise, bass pro shop and nardis are good.

Shops to go to : buying - (law enf?) Durys, non law enf don't go.
Nagels -buying
Powderhorn - buying classic, non facy traditional firearms.
The pawn shop at military and 410 by lackland is where most stolen or military pawned firearms go. Good deals every now and then.

Avoid TEXAS GUNS in leon valley, huge rip off.
Nagels gunsmithing is 40% sucess rate in anything , Durys is 60%.
AUSTIN is liberal as fuck , mention guns and expect a shit storm. But has really good bars and strip clubs.
San Ant strip clubs suck ass, smoking ban and covered pasties on nipples kills it. The cheaper than dirt store in austin sucks.

For the best long range rifle training head south to kingsville texas and check out Rifles Only.
The best hunting in the area i found is in Hondo, the 777, although pricey
>>
I-35 is one of the worst interstates in the entire nation.
Austin blows.
Hope you like wine and microbrews.
Fredericksberg is a fantastic daytrip, and you should see both WWII museums they have there.
In Lockhart, there is a shooting range called the Lone Star Gun Range. Sign up for a membership, it's one of the few genuinely good ranges in the Hill Country.
San Antone PD is about on par with the LAPS in terms of how shitty/corrupt they are.
Do not touch the water on the River Walk.
Do NOT touch the water on the River Walk.
Wimberly is also a good daytrip destina-ohlolnvm, floods wiped everything the fuck out last year.
Texas State University is about 20 miles up I-35, and it is loaded with easy, hot college broads.
>>
San antonio in a nutshell ...
Downtown = homeless issues, abandoned buildings, revitalization of downtown in certian areas, so much like south park had a facy district or two in the ghetto

North side - richest newly developed areas, highest auto theft and auto burglary.

South side - poor ,agricultural and scrap yard areas

West side- high gang activity. Tricked out low riders and hondas. Primarily hispanic

East side - primarily aftican american , high gang activity and shootings

Police - 55% anti gun , good presence of. Body cams worn
>>
Leon valley , shavano park , grey forrest, hollywood park, are speed trap towns within san antonio that are not annexed in
Balcones hights and castle hills have red light cameras (camera citations)
These areas have good bars or attractions near them and therefore have suckers passing through

Selma and converse (heading out of the city are also speed traps)

35 towards austin gets delays during morning and rush hour

I-10 is good until you hit houston
Houston traffic sucks
(Although nothing beats California traffic, which is DEATH)

Buda , right before austin has a cabellas, san antonio has a bass pro shop, austin has silencer shop and cheaper than dirt.
>>
>>29907270
>Buda , right before austin has a cabellas
Bought two Colt 1903s and a 1908 Vest Pocket from that Cabella's. Not that bad of a place.
>>
>>29907037
>nagels

Gross.
>>
>>29904292

It kind of sucks. Fuck huge city but still on of the more boring texas cities...and that's saying something because most Texas cities are already boring
>>
>>29904292
Yes

Just use google
>>
>>29905574
They had airshows from 2000-2012.

They ended them at Randolph AFB though, and Lackland has them only rarely. Last one was 2014.

Oh. I've been in an Air Force family at Randolph my whole life so I remember everything and know everything about San Antonio. Even went to school on base. (Go ro-hawks)

AMA
>>
>>29907074
>Wimberly is also a good daytrip destina-ohlolnvm, floods wiped everything the fuck out last year.

God damnit. They got fucked in those May-June floods.

I remember seeing Canyon in 2014 at 70' below.
Came back from college and it was 40' above.

Wimberely has such nice glass blowing shops as well....
>>
>>29907873
Fuck off

She's wide. Not huge.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.