[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, This is my first time posting about guns, I usually post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: Springfield_Model_1863.jpg (41 KB, 1920x296) Image search: [Google]
Springfield_Model_1863.jpg
41 KB, 1920x296
Guys,

This is my first time posting about guns, I usually post about ham radio when I can and if theres a discussion going.

I'm really into history (I even made the mistake of making it one of my degrees in college), but I've never owned guns. I'd like to procure a Civil or Revolutionary war-era barrel-loading weapon. My price is $750 or less, if I have to fix it up I'm just fine with that because it'll let me learn more about the weapon.

Any ideas where I can find one? Anyone have any experiences or stories with these I might want to know?

Pic related, a Springfield 1863, standard issue to the Union Army during the Civil War.
>>
>>29820785
buy a cheap BP .50 rifle, and see how you like how it functions, then, after you see how shit it is, get a real smokeless powder gun.

dont bother trying to 'fix up' civil war era guns, the repro's are shit, and anything you do happen to find that is affordable, doesnt have the parts available to fix, let alone even be able to fire safely.

you want a old-school fun rifle? get a Marlin 60A .22lr from the 70s or 80s, before they came with a gold trigger. Another nice starter gun is a 20ga pump, you can shoot that shit all day and not get a sore shoulder.

Or if you want creme de la creme, get a new benelli nova in 12ga (non-tacticool, no ghostring sights) and a tube extender. Should be about $350 OTD
>>
File: uberti carbine.jpg (720 KB, 1793x1079) Image search: [Google]
uberti carbine.jpg
720 KB, 1793x1079
>>29820785
>original civil war rifled musket
>under 750 dollarydoos
A. blackpowder is annoying to shoot unless you already know you enjoy it
B. don't destroy an antique fucking faggot. did they teach you nothing?
C. double your money and you can buy a high quality reproduction that I'd be mad jelly of
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/blackpowder-rifles/pedersoli-civil-war-muskets.html

>wanting the boring ones
>not looking for a wallhanger spencer rifle
>not looking into getting a Henry Rifle
>not getting a springfield trapdoor
>not buying a revolver rifle

slightly related I really wish Uberti made a remington revolver rifle with the original 35" barrel. Also that I still owned pic related.

get a uberti or pietta 1858 revolver if you want something civil war esque on your wall. Best revolver design ever.
>>
>>29820839
>"I want bp"
>recommends shit poorfag starter guns
marlin a shit. 10-22 best girl
>>
File: post-6447-1255590067.jpg (71 KB, 911x1047) Image search: [Google]
post-6447-1255590067.jpg
71 KB, 911x1047
>>29820839

Hey thanks for your reply, anon. I'm new to guns so any input /k/ wishes to spare for me is great.

I'm really interested in the historicity of the weapon. My other fascination is the first world war. Perhaps a 1903? Really any weapon that has contributed greatly to American history (ideally standard issue at some point) and no newer than 1941.

Do you know of anything that might fit that description?

In return: a cool rare pic of the first world war and its "Elephant Iron" corrugated steel dugout shelters.
>>
>>29820903
>have to replace extractor
>have to replace trigger pack for something that isnt plastic
>spending $30 a mag for Ruger-brand bananaclipz
fuck that mess, get the marlin with micro-groove rifling, shit is dead accurate.
>>
File: 1462040748043.jpg (128 KB, 600x884) Image search: [Google]
1462040748043.jpg
128 KB, 600x884
>>29820785
Hey OP, I get where you're coming from. This thread seems pretty shitty so far so let me tell you what I was told. I was looking for a Napoleonic rifle (cause history is cool and black powder is fun). That being said, black powder is a pain in the ass to shoot. They do come straight to your front door though in the states so you can order them straight offline.

For what you're looking for, heres a good website.

http://www.regtqm.com

There are foreign repos of high quality, but there going to be pretty expensive. The link above, I have done business with so I'm recommending it.

Keep in mind black powder is corrosive as fuck so you'll be cleaning your rifle quite a bit. They're time consuming to shoot, but if like me, you are in it for historical value I find it very rewarding.

Best of luck
>>
>>29820892

>750 dollarydoos

Unfortunately I haven't gotten a raise from my job at the history factory in some time.

>destroy an antique

Well, if I were to fix it up, it'd be missing parts or be fucked up already, i.e., already destroyed. I have a buddy thats a licensed gunsmith who I would consult with if I found the right one.

Thanks for the suggestions as well, I will check them out.
>>
>>29821003
Just an addendum to this. Precussion caps are where you want to be at with any black powder firearm. Flintlocks are a lot more tedious and finiky to use/shoot. Either way, its going to be a bit of a steep learning curve for your first rifle.
>>
>>29820946
You could get a P08 Luger from the first world war. However they tend to be a bit expensive. real 1911's even more so. I'd stay away from mosins, due to the fact they just aint worth it anymore.

Dunno really, just get whatever floats your boat. If you find someone who does transfers for cheap, try to get an unissued or like new/EXC swedish(or was it swiss) K31 for $400 and a fuckboat of 7.5 ammo.

supposed to be verrry wellmade and accurate, and looks sexy. They also have a few target sight makers so you can get diopter sights and hit chickens at 300yds no problem.

I think they from the 70's or so, but they carry that look of being from the 1920-30's
>>
>>29821003
>>29821039

Thanks very much for your insight and sharing your prior experience. What historical firearms do you currently own? Any tips about maintenance or preservation?

Vaguely related: a side-by-side situation map of the Battle of Gettysburg. 6pm July 1st vs 3:30pm July 2nd, 1863.
>>
File: ACW36Combined.gif (145 KB, 890x589) Image search: [Google]
ACW36Combined.gif
145 KB, 890x589
>>29821073

>no image

lel sorry

>>29821045

Seems like the consensus is that Antique guns aren't worth it. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>29820946
>1903 springfield
>under $750
anon I've got some bad news for you...
http://www.gunbroker.com/

>>29821003
>recommending some old fudds semi defunct mail order side business
>not militaryheritage
>not taylors
>not texas jacks
>not cabellas/gandermountain
there is literally no reason to buy BP from places that don't accept returns no questions asked for 3+ months.

>>29820955
>implying
>yfw the nylon trigger pack is drop proof and of higher tolerance than the old rugers, which were higher tolerance than dogshit marlins
>this mad marlin cuckmags aren't hi cap
>poorfagging intesifies

>>29821004
"fixing" a relic is still destroying it m8, no wonder you haven't gotten that raise at the history factory. An original rifled musket of civil war provenance in fireable condition is worth enough money that you'd never want to fire it. One within your price range is a guaranteed pipebomb

>>29821045
>really any weapon that has contributed greatly to US history
>recommends random milsurp
critical thinking isn't your strongsuit poorfag marlinguy
>>
File: saratoga.jpg (37 KB, 559x430) Image search: [Google]
saratoga.jpg
37 KB, 559x430
>>29821094

The 1903 was just off the top of my head, I hadn't really researched pricing much. I suppose I can always go higher with a little longer to save.

>fixing a relic is still destroying it
I know these things, I will occasionally appraise antique radios. But if it's in terrible condition but can be saved with some time & money investment isn't that worth it? Maybe not, that's why I'm posting here.

>Guaranteed pipebomb

This is the sort of knowledge I was hoping was here, thanks.

>image: Six pounder (foreground), behind - an English howitzer, Saratoga NY.
>>
>>29821073
>>29821092
you can get 1873 trapdoors for $5-1000 in various states of fireability. They're also not legally firearms due to being pr 1899

BP only mind you, smokeless 45-70 will kaboom them.

a modern repro is preferable, and ~$1500 from various makers. Accurate as fuck due to their use in various long range rifle competitions.

http://www.uberti.com/
http://www.pietta.us/
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/
find what you want here, then find the best price on teh internetz if you want a fresh from the factory looking piece of 19th century american history

yet again, for something cool and historical that doesn't break the bank get a repro colt or remington revolver.
>>
>>29821073
I own a Prussian Model 1809 and Modèle 1777 both are flintlocks. As far as maintenance goes there's not a ton you need to do. The most important thing is to clean them thoroughly after shooting. Black powder corrodes and fouls up the barrel of the rife leading to misfire and malfunction. Most of the shots you'll use will require crisco or some sort of lube when you ram the ball down the barrel. Although, you can get rounds already lubed up and predone for you. Also, it may seem cliché, but read the manual! Also, check out youtube for videos on the rifle that you buy. Watch them load and shoot it befor you run out and take it to a few targets
>>
>>29820785
Well op, you would be destroying an amazing piece of history by shooting it, also you need to increase you budget by a LOT to even think about getting an original rifle. Get a repro spencer rifle that isn't blackpowder (it's a pain in the ass to shoot like the entire thread said) and shoot away, or get a blackpowder that will hang on your wall and will never do anything other than collect dust
good luck to you
>>
>>29821094
i got my 1903 for under $700. sn is just a bit over 900,000 and the barrel is in great shape, still had a ton of cosmoline in it. its non matching parts but most are. you just gotta look around and wait for good deals.
>>
>>29821004
Unless your a professional restorer dont touch an antique.

Story time.

> my dads friend is into history
> restores cars, furniture, etc.
> is into guns.
>finds old BP flintlock but its so dirty its black.
> cleans said musket, looks beautiful.
> invites friend over who knows guns to get his opinion.
> guy says nice gun. Just too bad about the finish.
> dads friend says "wut finish" it was so dirty it was black!
> guy calls him an idiot.
> tells him it was an indian trade rifle.
> they were inked black cause they didnt want to waste the effort to finish them.
> now its ruined!

Dont be an idiot. Start with repros and learn about guns first.

A single shot BP pistol is what you need.

Get a kit and finish it yourself

Then a rifle, then a revolver.

Read, read, read. Loading tables, powder charges.

Your packing explosives in a steel tube and detonating it in your hand.

Learn your shit first.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.