[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't buildings at bases have armor on them, the way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: DV1993767.jpg (328 KB, 908x1114) Image search: [Google]
DV1993767.jpg
328 KB, 908x1114
Why don't buildings at bases have armor on them, the way tanks do? Every building I've ever seen at pictures of forward operating bases is basically a wooden box with some sandbags littered around it - wouldn't it be easy to just take the same armor that's on an M1 Abrams and just plate the building?

It'd make them more or less impervious to any kind of bombing or mortar attack, since the armor on an Abrams makes it impossible to defeat
>>
>>29761945
Because we are fighting terrorists who
A) cant hit shit, even if its the size of a building (just got back from iraq, isis would literally overshoot and miss our 5 square mile base)
B) they use a lot of home made rockets that are basically just pipe-bombs strapped to rocket motors
C) or 50-60 year old warsaw pact rockets that wont make it through 3-4 layers of sandbags anyways.

It costs close to a hundred grand (or more usually)ejust to up-armour a vehicle, a building? Millions, some of those buildings are fuckin huge.

Its a lot easier to just pile sandbags on it and throw us some cement T-walls or hescoes and call it good.
>>
>>29761945
reinforced cement is cheaper and easier to make than armor plating for buildings.

Sandbags are even better than cement at stopping kinetic projectiles than metal plates, while costing less and being more readily available.

with that being said, this website is 18+
please refrain from posting.
>>
Just money compared to practicality. If there were a war between two first world countries most places would probably just be civilian buildings repurposed. The only places with armor on them so to speak are mainly just bunkers.
>>
>>29761945
keeps the buildings cheap and easy to move, with less labor involved in keeping them functioning and building them in the first place.
it's much easier to have a few grunts put sandbags around a building than it is to have some special tech flown in from germany put chobbham on your comms hooch
>>
>>29761945
Because a lot of forward operating bases need to be erected quickly and taken down quickly. Meaning shit you roll in on trucks put up then take down and throw back on the trucks. Trucking in fuck tones of armour will cost money time and manpower that you may not have if you get shot at on a regular basis.
>>
>>29762129
And bunkers have a nasty habit of becoming warhead magnets against any oponent with real capability.

Plus bunkering everything tends to overly centralize how you run things making targeting of logistics a lot easier. I would argue mobility, spreading out, and decentralization methods are better defensive measures than tons of concrete and steel.

It doesnt matter how tough you build a fortification, an enemy will always develop a tool that can breach it.

But if they cant find it, or only finds a small part of it, damage is minimalized.

Just ask the nazis how well thier U-boat mega bunker worked out. Or the ancient chinese and thier giant wall.
>>
>>29761945

Most military instiliations are either:

Temporary, where lugging a bunch of armor slabs just to set up a base would strain logistics pointlessly.

Permanant, in which case they're already fortifed by concrete and trying to fortify them more would be pointless as they're prime targets for aircraft that can ignore any armor placed on the front of them, much like a tank.

It's not cost effective, and not really practical for what you're getting.
>>
>>29763760
>>29764703
Plus there is all the armed soldiers around them.
>>
>>29764712
What exactly can armed soldiers do to stop a missile or bomb?
>>
>>29761945
Because that would be stupid.

Hesco and sandbags are just as effective whilst being vastly cheaper to transport and install.

Tanks use composite armour because covering them in a meter deep pil of sand bags isnt practical.
>>
>>29764775
Shoot the mudslimes trying to drive the bomb into your base.
>>
>>29764843
Read my original comment again.
I believe I specified "against any opponent with real capability"

Bunkers have this self canceling effect where they are too expensive and permanant to justify building to defend against rag-tag insurgents, and also tend to be impossible to defend targets against any enemy with atleast halfway modern weaponry.

Its easier to build somewhere in between.

Earthworks like hescoes and sandbags, or prefab concrete barriers offer enough protection against both without being too expensive to abandon, or too weak to defend.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.