[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remington 870 advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: remington870.jpg (924 KB, 5712x2956) Image search: [Google]
remington870.jpg
924 KB, 5712x2956
So here is my dilemma, I've been considering a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 for a while now and I've decided to go with an 870. My only problem is they don't sell exactly what I'm looking for (as far as I know). I'd like wood furniture, a short(ish) barrel with changeable chokes, large capacity and high quality internals . Do you think I'd be better off getting a Wingmaster and buying a new barrel + adding a mag extension or getting a Express Tactical and getting wood furniture for it. Keep in mind although the cost is a lot higher on the Wingmaster I do consider having a sporting barrel as a bonus.
>>
bump am interested
>>
>>29744572
Wingmasters are vastly superior to the Express/Cheap 870s in fit, finish and feel.

I personally love my Wingmaster for sporting purposes, but I prefer my Mossbeg 590A1 for defense. The reason is that the shell elevator on 870s leaves no space to push a shell back in if you get one of the "1 1/2 feeds" where the bolt is half open with one shell while another is blocking the elevator from lifting and the bolt from moving either direction. It happens in 870s every so often, and I've probably had it happen 3-4 times out of about 5000 rounds.

The only fix is to take the barrel off and dump the top shell out of the front of the receiver.

That's perfectly fine for duck hunting. It's very, very bad for a gunfight.

If the same thing occurs on a 590A1, I can just push the lower shell back in with the tip of my finger because the cut allows access to the shell through the elevator.

Something to think about. If you can only have one shotgun and you're going to use it primarily for clays and wingshooting, the Wingmaster should be fine. I personally would avoid the Express since it doesn't address the potential feed/elevator issue and is far less pleasant to shoot.

If you're going for a tactical gun only, the 590/590A1 is superior.
>>
File: IMAG0093.jpg~original.jpg (135 KB, 799x478) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0093.jpg~original.jpg
135 KB, 799x478
>>29744713
Here's the 870 elevator.....
>>
File: IMG_0534.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0534.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
>>29744737
.....and here's the 590/590A1 elevator.

See the difference? If you had some catastrophic jam and you're using the 870, you're fucked. With the Mossy you're only briefly delayed.

For the record I pretty much hate Mossberg anything -- it reminds me of trailer trash. But, the 590/590A1 guns are good guns and designed for for fighting.
>>
>>29744572
Google: wood stock for mossberg 590

It looks like it's simple and common to put wood on 590's.
>>
>>29744713

Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate some more on the fit/finish of the Wingmaster over other 870s? I know some of them have MIM parts which isn't a huge concern if they're easy to replace. I just want to avoid buying a new gun and having to replace everything.
>>
File: 13668499_2.jpg (12 KB, 800x232) Image search: [Google]
13668499_2.jpg
12 KB, 800x232
>>29744572
Winchester defender = best pump ever
>>
>>29744897
My experience is limited to Wingmasters from 1998 and earlier. My personal and favorite one was made in '94. I can't speak to current Wingmasters, but I know they're smoother than the Express models.

Wingmasters are known for having very smooth actions. Depending on which mechanical part is being moved, you can feel varying resistance all along the pump cycle. Some shotguns feel tight but the action movement is gritty, stiff, or there isn't enough play to account for the subtleties of arm movement (think of it as movement "fit"). Some shotguns feel loose, but the action is smooth. Some shitty Chinese and old Sears shotguns are loose and unnatural.

Wingmasters feel sufficiently tight but also very smooth and natural. A Mossberg will feel tighter and a little "chunkier" and less natural (but not horrible). A Winchester SXP will feel super tight (to me, anyway) and smooth, but not as natural as a Wingmaster, while a Model 12 will feel very natural, relatively smooth, but a little loose. It's hard to explain without feeling it in hand.

This is partially what I mean by fit. Finish is exterior aesthetics. Just look at a Wingmaster and an Express side by side and you'll see there's more attention to detail in the Wingmaster. (On the inside parts, too, producing its action smoothness.)

Seriously, unless you're buying the gun for hunting just get a 590 or 590A1. You'll get a better design for your intended purpose, and you'll only have to buy and switch out the stock since the parts are all good.

Seriously, the 870 is the S&W 5906 of the tactical shotgun world -- it was the gold standard 25 years ago, but better guns for that purpose have been developed since then.
>>
>>29745279

Cool, exactly the info I was looking for, thanks again. I haven't completely ruled out a 590A1, but the fudd nature of the 870, especially the Wingmaster actually appeals to me. I have other tactical and sporting guns but I want something that is "featureless" but could fight if you know what I mean.
>>
File: IMAG0025.jpg (4 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0025.jpg
4 MB, 2368x4224
870 Super Mag Masterrace reporting in
>>
>>29745123
They're OK, but I don't like the feel as much as the 870.
>>
>He doesnt own a Magnum Wingmaster
>>
>>29745561
Just buy an 870 reciever and fix it to your liking.
>>
So pay to have the barrel threaded. The hardwood HD models are only like $400.
>>
>>29745123
I really like em and all buy well...Winchester didn't exactly have their budget gun process ironed out yet. Could be worse though, at least its not a 1200/1400/150
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.