[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
What does /k/ think about it? What are some good rifles chambered in it?
>>
Big bullet with funny name for special operations
>>
99.9999% of applications a .308 will do the same thing.
It's a niche round for niche rifles and niche faggots with too much money who want to give steel silhouettes $5 bills from a mile away.
>>
>>29587796
CZ HET I/HET II (II being a downgrade from the original according to someone close to the production)

Barret MRAD

Sako TRG 42

There are others, but from "mainstream" manufacturers, CZ is my favorite.

FWIW no real world experience other than finger fucking HET I and TRG 42 that sat around the shop I work in for a very long time, and speaking to a guy who was on the Dev team for the I & II. (Of course, people will lie about shit in the gun world all the time... But of all things... Combined with being a pretty cool guy in other instances, and not someone who struck me as a pathological liar, of all things I don't think that would be what people would choose to make up).
>>
>>29587867
Call me when you hit silhouettes from a mile away.
>>
>>29587927
call me after i bang your mom, ill tell you how it was.
>>
File: alittlegangsta.jpg (35 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
alittlegangsta.jpg
35 KB, 444x444
>>29587867
It must suck to be angry because you can't have nice things.
>>
>>29587796
Id rather have a .338 Norma magnum if im going for a .338 mag.

But a .375 chey tac is still better, and in the same ballpark price wise.
>>
>>29587970
If I wanted a special snowflake I'd just get a 20/50 like a rational person.
>>
>>29587796
Most of /k/ can't afford .338LM, so don't expect any serious answers from people with actual experience.

With that being said, it's a niche round that does the same job as 7mm RM and .300 WM: run a relatively flat trajectory over long distances. You must invest both time and money to achieve the potential that .338 LM has to offer. Unfortunately, what most people fail to realize is that said time and money involved with bringing the .338 LM to its full potential is exceedingly more than they anticipate.

And if you are the rare /k/ user that can afford the time and money to shoot .338 LM, look into shooting 7mm RM first. 7mm RM is trendy right now, but it has also been around for a lot longer than .338 LM, and thus more ballistics research associated with it. I don't mean to sound like I'm shitting on .338 LM, I just think it's trying to fill a role that has been thoroughly covered for decades, and now simply another thing for people to argue about.

>disclaimer, I shoot .300 WM
>>
Why shoot these instead of 6.5 creedmoor?
>>
>>29588393

muh body armor penetration

muh seal team 6 muh fugga

My dad does want to buy me a 338 lapau magnum for my birthday as my first real rifle, can you really say no to that?
>>
File: IMG_0133[1].jpg (52 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0133[1].jpg
52 KB, 625x469
>>29587867
It's almost as if I can tell you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>29588442
no you can't say no to that.

6.5 might be better for competition because of lower recoil.
>>
>>29588601

God don't be a pussy, it feels good to shoot something that can decimate most living things a mile and a half away. I'm going to get a .416 barrett one day too.
>>
File: IMG_1147[1].jpg (33 KB, 380x347) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1147[1].jpg
33 KB, 380x347
>>29588442
That's really cool of your dad. Serious question: can you afford to spend $7 for every time you pull the trigger? How about proper glass? Reloading equipment/boutique personal reloading company? Have you ever shot past 800m?
>>
Are you going 1200+ yards?

If yes , great

If no waster of money
>>
>>29587796
It's good for hunting bears so I give it that and also it's easier to find and purchase than the 50 bmg and less libs are bitching about it because it's fairly new on the market from my opinion.
>>
>>29587796
>What does /k/ think about it?

It's for shooting super long range. Unless you want to shoot like a mile. I wouldn't bother.

>What are some good rifles chambered in it?

AWP
>>
>>29588217
When did super long range shooting become a niche thing?

That being said, if you're looking at .338LM, you're better off investing in something 308 to learn the basics, then making the jump since you're going to be chasing that 1500 meter mark.

You're going to need just as good of glass to boot in addition to a decent rifle.

Can't give good recommendations here outside of buying the new DARPA computational scope. I don't know what the latest is on its current max range, but if you want to ring steel for a utilitarian's sake, go with it.

If you want recreational, go run of the mill.

Either way, because of the former, chances are that in the next 10 years, once the technology is easily duplicated, we're going to be seeing models that are going for the price of a medium spec computer, maybe roughly 600 to 900 dollars.
>>
>>29587927
Youre implying rounds like the 7mm rem mag cant do that for half the cost
>>
File: UnfoldedWithHandloads.jpg (1 MB, 2870x1816) Image search: [Google]
UnfoldedWithHandloads.jpg
1 MB, 2870x1816
>>29587796
Well, since you asked for rifle recommendations...
I happen to love rmy Alexander Arms Ulfberht:
Semi-auto, 10 round mags, removable without having to re-position rifle. Operates in constant recoil (basically, the BCG never hits the buffer, all the work is done by some springs) so recoil is not sharp - you can actually watch impacts if you are good.
>>
File: Sako_TRG-42.jpg (64 KB, 800x250) Image search: [Google]
Sako_TRG-42.jpg
64 KB, 800x250
Sako TRG 42 is a pretty damn amazing gun. But expensive, if you're going to shoot at the range you're probably better off with a TRG 22 in .308.

But if you really want to do some long range shooting a TRG 42 in .338 is pretty great.

I would love to try the TRG M10 as well.
>>
File: AA Ulfberht.jpg (118 KB, 1299x389) Image search: [Google]
AA Ulfberht.jpg
118 KB, 1299x389
>>29592574
Loud, but fun and very accurate.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.