[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys not get all kinds of crazy parallax with these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 259x194
How do you guys not get all kinds of crazy parallax with these vortex scopes?!

I can hold the rifle perfectly still and any movement of the head at all puts the crosshairs over a different spot.

I don't see how anyone can get a consistent enough cheek weld to get even close to 1 moa with this crap?
>>
>>29561341
Bump, and too clarify, I get better groups with a $90 wal-mart red dot than I've been able to get with this 4x scope. That makes no sense to me. I see people with this set up all the time and they seem to like it?
I emailed vortex and their response was basically, "Buy scope rings from us to try out. Most people don't have an issue with the height."

So are most people just happy with 5+ moa at the range or am I just really missing something?

One guy aid he puts his nose on the charging handle. How does that even work? My face is much farther back.
>>
File: tipnose-1024x768.jpg (208 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
tipnose-1024x768.jpg
208 KB, 1024x768
Did you buy a real one or a shitty Chinese knockoff?

And yes, nose to charging handle is normal if you're not wearing armor and striving for accuracy.
>>
>>29561341
>>29561891
No seriously, how do you accurately shoot a set up like this.

Not me pictured by the way but close enough to same situation.
>>
>>29561985
Oh, he's got his face on the actual buffer tube?
>>
>>29561985
Okay, thank you. The scope is legit as far as I know. It was purchased at a reputable Lgs along with the base. The base does say made in China but it's solid. If I took the weld in that pocture the scope would be too high to see through. I guess lower scope rings and I'll try that noise to handle. Honestly just never occurred to put cheek on tube instead of stock.
>>
>>29561341

what distance are you shooting at? should be rather parallax free after a few more meters
>>
>>29561341
Eye relief is too short or too far.

Read your manual, change the location of your scope on your rail and take another look.
>>
File: DSC_0830.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0830.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>29562200
Really?! I'll try, just have the scope at a distance so the black ring around the sight picture is minimalized. I'll play with it.
Didn't want to post my actual rifle because not really wanting to be associated with this thread in the future but fuck it.

>>29562193
Various.

Good suggestions I'll try so far.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (44 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
44 KB, 960x720
>>29562250
This isn't me but close enough to what I probably look like shooting.
>>
Holy shit, /k/ being helpful. What a rare beauty.
>>
>>29562250
Yes, that very well could be it.

My primary arms 1-6 was the exact same way where I had a ton of parallax. You just need to set it to your prefered LOP and see where the sweet spot is.

It takes all of five minutes but if done right, you will have a full view as well as little as possible parallax.

Mind you, all magnified scopes will have some parallax, it just takes a bit of getting used to and range time.

After a while, you won't notice it at all.
>>
>>29561985

How the fuck do you mount a 1-6x far enough to get your nose to the charging handle though? Monolithic rail?
>>
>>29562507
nose to charging handle is determined by the stocks length of pull
where you mount the scope is irrelevant to nose to charging handle
obviously you want the scope mounted in whatever location gives proper eye relief and that distance changes depending on the optic
>>
>>29562644
I thought nose to charging handle was a specific technique to provide for consistency?
What do you mean, "length of pull"?
>>
>>29562644
> whatever location gives proper eye relief

Problem is, with a 1-4x or 1-6x, proper eye relief + nose to charging handle puts the optic well forward of any cantilever mount I've seen.

Best I've been able to manage is adjusting the stock so that my mouth always hits the forward ridge on the stock.
>>
File: 106929_ts.jpg (78 KB, 1154x1154) Image search: [Google]
106929_ts.jpg
78 KB, 1154x1154
>>29562690
length of pull meaning this
as in you pick the position that puts your nose to the charging handle
the other option is fuck it fully extended nose to charging handle anyways
>>
Anon, you are discovering what we have all been bellyaching about in service rifle with the new rule changes allowing 1-4x scopes. It's fucking impossible without the longest cantilevered rails and lowest rings to get a scope out far enough to shoot it with a nose to charging handle setup. That's still ideal, so just keep looking around for long mounts.

White oak makes a cantilever that's the longest on the market as far as I know.

One trick some of the older guys are doing is pushing the scope out further or pulling it back so you get the dreaded black halo. But then you use the halo to act similarly to a dual aperture sight, and if the halo is concentric then your head position is in the exact same place. Ultimately I think it's harder to shoot an optic with non adjustable paralax in prone with a classic slung position than it is to shoot irons.
>>
>>29562644
Nose to charging handle is dictated by how far your eye is from the sighting aperture, be it a scope or an iron sight aperture. Length of pull can effect how easy that is to attain but it's not what you want dictating your head position.
>>
>>29562876
That's sort of what I've been doing, even out the black halo, but the results haven't been there. I could just slide the mount onto the handguard so that's not an issue but the height still is.

Soon as home, will pay with it.

Thanks all.
1. Adjust stock for nose on charging handle.
2. Find proper eye relief.
3. Get lower rings.
>>
File: 20150820_155102_resized.jpg (752 KB, 2080x1170) Image search: [Google]
20150820_155102_resized.jpg
752 KB, 2080x1170
>>29562876
Here's WOA's setup.
>>
>>29562964
Don't mount the base on the handguard, that won't be consistent, moves around too much.

I don't know what to tell you about consistency, as I know a boatload of people having the same problem right now that you are talking about. A few have figured out how to shoot the optic well in prone but most are still suffering. It's going to be about having the most consistent repeatable head position and position that you can, way more consistent than with irons because the scope is lying to you and you can't let yourself be tricked into believing it.

Guys running their guns off bags don't have to worry about this because the bag dictates repeat ability, but with position shooting you have a struggle. Index that buttplate, check your cheek and nose, bob your head, get the same breath hold and break a clean shot.
>>
Got home.
Collapsed stock until nose to charging handle was comfy.
Moved mount all the way forward on receiver.
Moved scope forward on mount.
No halo.
Removed riser off my AR.
Scope magically no longer too high.
Parallax from moving head greatly reduced.

Won't have an opportunity to shoot it until Tuesday but WOW! Thank you /k/ for the help.

Thanks.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.