[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sorry in advance, because this is gonna smell like a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: mvp patrol.jpg (49 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
mvp patrol.jpg
49 KB, 600x384
I'm sorry in advance, because this is gonna smell like a /k/ bait thread from about 1500 meters, but I swear to all the gods of Slavshit that it's not.

My friend is enamored with a Nugget. I'm shopping around for a bolt action in .308 myself. Should I convince my friend that the moist nug is not a gun to pursue (at least for a first raifu) and try to have him pick a modern caliber, or should I let him get a nugget and decide from there whether his gun was a good decision?

Specifically, how does the nugget compare ballistically to a modern bolt-action, and is that performance difference enough to justify not getting a Nugget? Or does 7.62x54 still hold up against modern calibers? Assume, for starters, a plinking caliber, but in the long run also reloading and hunting.

> inb4 troll thred
I genuinely want my friend to get a good gun. If that gun is a nugget, that's great. But if nuggets suck, what's a comparable rifle for the modern gentleman?

I know there's no objective answer, and I know nuggets are largely considered a meme gun by those who don't like them. I am just looking for feedback specifically related to this situation.
>>
The first question to ask here is, do either you or your friend have much shooting experience? If not, then my honest recommendation is something in .22 LR or something similar, maybe .223.

Jumping in to a full power rifle cartridge is going to set in bad habits of flinching like a motherfucker.

Now, if the experience is there, then to be completely honest the Mosin Nagant is actually a perfectly serviceable rifle, it's just not that great even when compared to contemporary rifles. Its greatest selling point is that it's cheap.

As for the cartridge, Russia still uses 54r to this day, so take that as you will. It'll do just fine against something like a .308 (although the rifle delivering the .308 is likely to be better).

It works okay as a hunting round, since its performance is in the ballpark of .308 and .30-06.

Reloading, forget about it unless you get pricey brass case ammo. Most of what you'll find in 54r is steel case; don't even try reloading that. I think a lot of the ammo is Berdan primed too, which is a pain in the ass to reload compared to Boxer.

tl;dr it's okay but your friend can do better
If he really wants it then power to him
>>
Im really getting tired of this post-ironic shitposting about the nugget.

54r is just as good as .308
the rifle is no worse than any other bolt action, thought it will be better with just a small amount of TLC.
ammo is still cheap at 35 cents a round, or up to 60 cents for high quality new manufacture shit, and not about to dry up as the russians are still making it, as well as several other companies (including red army standard, wolf, and Privi).
ammo is also very easy to find, ive yet to find a store that doesnt have any.
Also its fine as a first (purchase) rifle, if you can handle a nuggets recoil you can take on almost anything. though i would suggest giving noguns a round on a 22 at least once before the nugget.

in other words, fuck you op, youre a faggot.
RIFLE IS FINE.
>>
File: image.png (120 KB, 300x227) Image search: [Google]
image.png
120 KB, 300x227
>>29543850
>rifle is no worse than any other bolt action
When it works. I had one that you couldn't close the bolt without crushing the rim. After ten rounds wou have to beat the bolt open with a hammer to open it and cycle. When it does work it's 3-5 MOA
>but you can fix it with (blah blah blah)
For 100 dollars more you could get a k31. For the same price wou could get a curry nigger smle.
>if you can handle the recoil
The rifle is like 10 lbs. it has less recoil than a .270. "It kicks like a mule" is a meme

The mosin has always been shit, but for $89 you could overlook the shittiness. For $250, not so much.
>>
>>29544251
no

mosin is fine.
>>
>>29544392
It's fine if you're arming 5 million sefs to charge at maxim guns. You only need it to fire five rounds in the general direction of Germans before the shooter dies. Or mg42s. But it's far from being a good rifle.
>>
>>29544416
its an accurate entry level rifle that could be upgraded to be much better if you like destroying milsurp for some reason.

mosin hate is a bigger meme than the rifle itself.
>>
If he wants a milsurp rifle tell him to get a Yugo Mauser. Slightly more expensive, but the Mauser action is superior to the Mosin. I also think 8mm Mauser is a superior cartridge compared to 7.62x54r.
>>
>>29543775
the nugget and 54r are both outclassed in nearly every way by modern rifles and cartridges.
>inb4 butthurt slavboos
i own a nugget and a VEPR in 54r. get over it
>>
>>29543775
The Mosin, SKS, and G3 all served admirably in Iraq. You know it isn't a bad rifle. However, >>29543804
is right. Start small.
>>
>>29544448
I have a 308 VEPR

very nice indeed.
>>
>>29544480
Yea we got our ass kicked by nugget wielding Ba'ath companies
>>
>>29544499
i like it but the ammo price jumped and now i just have a not particularly accurate 5 round battle rifle thats not really worth reloading for. hopefully 54r will drop when the war in the ukraine ends.
>>
>>29544428
>upgraded
That's my point. For the same money you could just get a Mauser m24-44 and not need to upgrade it. Will it throw lead? Most of the time. Will it hit target, usually. Is it cheap? Not anymore really.
Let's judge it by it peers: level, Springfield 1903, gewehr 98 and mosin. Guess which comes in last?
Mosin hate isn't a meme, but rather the nugget can't hide behind 90$/ rifle 25c/Rd anymore
I've owned 3 nuggets and 2 of them didn't reliably function.
>>
tell him to spend the money and get a t3 in 6.5 * 55 sweed, all the gun youll ever need
>>
>>29544519
see, this is why I don't go for the esoteric calibres and stick to the mainstream and common rounds.

(.223, 12 gauge, 308, 9mm, etc..)
>>
>>29544539
>6.5 swede
my dick has been telling me to get something in this lately. any particular rifle recommendations?
>>
>>29544547
nah, 54r is one of the most commonly owned rounds in the states. most people (myself included) didnt realize how import restrictions and the war would cut off pretty much all spam can imports for a while. now were forced to share whats left between millions of rifles and few domestic ammo manufacturers.
>>
File: RSI_MI-24C.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
RSI_MI-24C.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>29543775
I love DIY and make stuff, and Mosin-Nugget is a good rifle to upgrade.

I live in Europe and a Nugget costs around 300€, when a decent .308 rifle (Mossberg 100 ATR) costs around 550€.

And i assume that a well-kept Mosin (with bedding stock, flotting barrel ...) is more accurate.

We can also buy a K31, but the price of GP11 cartridges rise fast.
>>
>>29544605
And i would add that the Mosin is (imo) the only milsurp rifle that can be "sporterized" without becoming a heretic.
>>
>>29544438
8mm mauser is almost a dollar a round and the surplus has basically all dried up.
>>29544448
54r is not "outclassed", it fairs just as well as .308 and 7.62x51.
>>29544519
its a ten cent increase, still some of the cheapest ammo out there.
>>29544531
my mosin is equally as accurate as my m48, chilean 95, and gew98. sounds like youre having a bad case of operator error.
>>29544547
there are SEVEN manufacturers of 54r in the us, and at least eight manufacurers that import, along with the in production military surplus.
54r is one of the most common rounds in the US, absolutely nothing about it is esoteric.

I will agree that mausers are a good alternative to mosins, however mosins are still better due to the fact that ammo is 1/3rd of the price. In the almost impossible event that changes, then mausers would be a better pick. but until then, mosins are perfectly acceptable and useable rifles. the gun is guranteed to be more accurate than the person behind the trigger and even at the full jew cabellas $250 price (i still find them for $150), they're still a great first rifle.

OP, if your friend isnt a poorfag and wants a mosin because its a mosin, and not because its cheap, tell him to check out the finn versions.
>>
>>29544251
>For 100 dollars more you could get a k31
For fuck's sake, now I see why the K31 is starting to be called a meme gun. It's a fantastic rifle, but 7.5 is getting harder and harder to find. I wouldn't recommend it as a first rifle.
>>
>>29544605
Why would you assume that if you know anything about the rifle? More accurate than a regular nugget maybe.
>>
>>29544764
>bolt doesn't close
>sloppy trigger
>bolt doesn't open
>Operator error! Rifle is fine!
No wonder Russians did so well in both world wars
>>
>>29543775

What to start precision shooting?

Savage Mark II FV-SR and a decent optic is a 700$ combo that will last a longgggg time.

Other than that it's a learning experience.
Had I knew then what I knew now I'd just have 3 fire arms instead of going through about 20.

>what 4

> Cooper TRP3 (not sure what optic)
> DT SRS with a USO x10
> M1 Garand
> USPC because reasons.

Just my .02
>>
>>29544480
>SKS served admirably in Iraq
source?

when are you referring to? Gulf War or 2003 Iraq War?
>>
File: IMAG0323.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0323.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
I feel like there is one pro mosin autist in this thread trying to break the post limit. If your friend wants a Mosin, let him get a Mosin. He won't be happy unless he gets what he actually wants, regardless of if something is objectively 'better.' I did the same thing getting a CZ82 when I wanted a Makarov because the 82 is objectively 'better.'

With that being said, mosins are luck of the draw. You can get a really nice rifle that can hit an Amazon box at 300yd with the irons, or you can get one that won't hit paper at 50. Some have smooth actions, most do not. I've owned and fired many mosins and only one of them I would say is a nice gun. The rest have some sort of issue, whether it be accuracy, feeding issues, jamming, sticky bolts. Hurr durr ur 2 weak for manly Russian bolt. No, I just like a gun that isn't a piece of shit. Out of all the mosins I've had, guess how many I own now?

>spoiler alert
>zero
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.