[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sig Problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: sig p938.jpg (64 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
sig p938.jpg
64 KB, 600x400
I'm sure it's me.

So I have the p938, for being so small it's easy to hold on to and I shoot it well, love the gun.
Would probably recommend the Shield if a friend asked though.

Okay, so the gun has NEVER malfunctioned during firing. However, when loading a fresh magazine, I'm finding the slide won't go forward into battery and upon inspection, the slide stop pin has worked it's way out a small bit and is blocking the slide from moving forward. It's happened twice now, possibly during manipulation where I locked the slide back manually.

Anyone have this happen? Suggestions on what is likely culprit?
I'm left handed but not satan.
>>
I had a 938. I hate that gun more then any gun i have ever owned. Not only do i know what you are talking about it happened to me while firing. Get rid of that thing. You can literally break that piece of crap 3 different ways every time you strip and clean it. Putting the safety on while the slide is off can cause the safety detent plunger to separate from the frame. Also be careful with that little ejector that you have to manipulate to put the slide back on after cleaning it is possible to damage it by pressing it down to far. And then we come to your problem which is the slide catch retention spring that is totally exposed and can be damaged by getting caught on say a cleaning patch... you can call sig and they will send you a new spring. Or just get rid of that crap and buy a gun that isn't made out of glass. Oh and if you do decide to keep it don't forget to replace your recoil spring every 1200 rounds to ensure reliable extraction.
>>
>>29496363
Okay, thank you.
>>
>>29493692
Call Sig. That obviously shouldn't be happening, and is probably the result of a broken slide catch spring, which is a simple fix.
>>
>>29496363
>Putting the safety on while the slide is off can cause the safety detent plunger to separate from the frame.
Only if you fuck with it without knowing what you're doing, and there's no reason to be manipulating the safety when you're not firing or carrying the gun. This is your fault because you got in over your head.
>Also be careful with that little ejector that you have to manipulate to put the slide back on after cleaning it is possible to damage it by pressing it down to far.
Not anymore. Sig has fixed this on new guns. The gun can no longer be fucked up by pressing the ejector down too far.
>Oh and if you do decide to keep it don't forget to replace your recoil spring every 1200 rounds to ensure reliable extraction.
This is no longer accurate. Only the original round P238 recoil spring was rated for such a low round count. The newer flat recoil springs are said to last much longer.

That said, I do agree that the P938 is highly imperfect. Things you didn't address include the two piece guide rod, which can fly out of the gun while firing, and the mainspring housing, which has recently been upgraded and fixed, but old ones would beat themselves up and cause problems with the hammer.

The fact that the mainspring housing and the trigger are both plastic really bothers me. You can replace the trigger with an aftermarket part, but the only metal (aluminum) MSH available is made by Hogue, and at least the gen 1 Hogue part has been documented to abrade in the same way as the original, problematic factory MSH, causing problems with the hammer after enough rounds have been shot through the gun.

It should be noted that Sig has addressed and fixed a huge number of issues with these guns, and the current ones are much more reliable, durable, and better designed than the original P938's which first hit the market.
>>
>>29496507
All mentioned reasons good enough for me to despise sig and never want to buy from them again.

That trigger was pretty awful. Never found the gun very comfy in the hand either, safety always seemed to be in the way.
>>
>>29496507
Well I got the 938 as a partner gun to match my 229 and because I can hold on to it while shooting a whole lot better than I could the Glock 43.
It turns out the 229 is just as comfortable to EDC, perhaps summer activities will change that, and the 938 had kind of a hard trigger break that makes me pull 1" to the side of I'm not careful. That's fine for defense but annoying.
Now with this thread, maybe it's time to let it go.
>>
>>29496845
>1" to the side [at 7 yards] *if* I'm not careful.
Thought about seeing if a Smith would do a trigger job on it.
>>
>>29493692
>>29496363
Chiming in here. Exact same thing happened to me. And the tru glo front sight post fell out. Poor QC, and the fan boys will just blame you for cleaning the gun the wrong way (even if you followed manufacturers instructions).

Sure, they covered the work for free. But, I can't knowingly carry a gun that is prone/susceptible to any form of malfunction. I felt mislead about the firearm.
>>
>>29496845
>had kind of a hard trigger break that makes me pull 1" to the side of I'm not careful.
That means you don't know how to shoot a pistol and need to practice more.

>>29496840
Not for me. The two piece guiderod is really the only documented *potential* issue remaining to be fixed, and mine has never broken on me. Polymer parts aren't inherently bad. The new MSH design appears to be much more durable, and I have no reason to think that it won't hold up over time.

The trigger is not awful at all, and when talking to people online, I find that complaints about supposedly "heavy" trigger pulls are a good way to play Spot the Squid, and be able to quickly dismiss people's opinions. I went shooting earlier today with my 1950s Hi Power, with its original very small sights and a factory 8 pound trigger. According to squids on /k/, the Hi Power has one of the worst triggers ever implemented in a handgun, and its accuracy likewise is reduced to minute-of-barn performance. Guess what, there was a 4 inch steel plate hanging at the 25 yard line in the shooting range, and not only did I hit it multiple times in a row, I clipped the rope that it was hanging from and broke it. This should be impossible to do with such a "horrible" trigger, shouldn't it?
>>
>>29497135
Who ever said it is impossible for a gun with a poor trigger to potentially be shot well? Or for a particular example of a gun to perform identically to the next. Older production firearms, especially those subject to the hardships of service, are inherently more variable in condition and function. One guy may love this mosin, the other guy might think it shoots shit next to his Remington.

Arguing that the P938 is a good carry gun, because it has a trigger that's better than a surplus gun that you surprisingly shoot well with...

Yet I'm left with my own personal experiences, which was that of owning a new P938, and having the firearms suddenly fail to feed at 150-200 rounds.

No, my hand was not touching the slide stop, nor was it pressing on the pin. And I don't want my sights falling out in a gun fight, either. Especially not for this expensive of a gun.
>>
>>29493692
I own a Sig p938 and I've fired well over 8k rounds through mine without a single malfunction. I've had to replace springs and a few parts, but that's expected wear and tear of a firearm.

Your issue is most likely something to do with the slide catch. Those need to be replaced relatively often.

>>29497072
>I can't knowingly carry a gun that is prone/susceptible to any form of malfunction

Sooo... you don't carry at all? I'm not saying the p938 is perfect, because I'd love for a few improvements to be made still, but no gun ever built has been failure proof. Every moving part in a firearm is a point of failure.
>>
>>29493692

It may be a problem with the slide stop spring. I've read a few cases of that spring breaking and the slide locking back randomly. I know that it's not the same problem as what you said, but you could check out the springs or detent in for the slide stop pin.

That gun is actually notorious for problems. I was looking at the 238 for a little while and I swear I read more failure cases than some Taurus guns. Doesn't stop Sig from charging 500-700 for the things though.
>>
>>29497281
>Who ever said it is impossible for a gun with a poor trigger to potentially be shot well?
Anybody who knows how to shoot will tell you that a bad trigger does make a gun harder to shoot. You just don't understand what makes a trigger good or bad. Hint: within a reasonable range, the weight of the break is irrelevant.

>Arguing that the P938 is a good carry gun, because it has a trigger that's better than a surplus gun that you surprisingly shoot well with...
Squid spotted!

>Yet I'm left with my own personal experiences, which was that of owning a new P938, and having the firearms suddenly fail to feed at 150-200 rounds.
Did you send the gun to Sig? They can fix many issues that crop up with their guns, and many guns from many different manufacturers can potentially have issues out of the factory that need further adjustment. I've had an HK USP that failed to reset the hammer every time I pulled the trigger, right out of the box. Buy guess what? I sent it back to HK and they fixed the issue. Just saying, I don't want to belittle your experience, but there is such a thing as giving the manufacturer a chance to rectify the situation.
>>
>>29497304
>I own a Sig p938 and I've fired well over 8k rounds through mine without a single malfunction. I've had to replace springs and a few parts, but that's expected wear and tear of a firearm.
Just curious, but if you have some time, could you post a photo of your frame rails? I want to see what mine will look like at this round count.
>>
>>29497304
There is a difference between being failure proof, and not being prone to failure.

These are literally the two ends of the reliability spectrum, with any combinations of respective ratios.

I'll never carry a firearm that's susceptible to, or prone to, any kind of mechanical failure.

Would you say that within the scope of carry and maintenance, a well maintained and inspected firearm like a makarov would be prone to failure? I'd say no. Sure, it could fail. But, it is by no means prone to failure. Yet of course, it is not fail proof either.
>>
>>29497396
The vast majority of P938's are not "prone to failure." If you get a lemon, you'll know within a few hundred rounds, after which point you can send the gun back to Sig, get it fixed, and likely you'll never have a problem with it again. The same holds true for many, many guns by many, many manufacturers.
>>
File: 1425856773715.jpg (114 KB, 475x350) Image search: [Google]
1425856773715.jpg
114 KB, 475x350
>>29497304
>Sig p938
>Expensive

I'd be willing to guess that guns aren't a hobby of yours. There are many anons on this board with several thousands of dollars spent on weapons. Many times several thousand on a single weapon. A p938 is pocket change in comparison to a PSG-1 conversion. Which I still need to get a barrel for.
>>
>>29497358
But there isn't. I wouldn't give an manufacturer a chance to fix my car if the brakes failed when I needed them. My life depends on my carry gun.

Now, I'm not saying I'd dump a gun running questionable mags because it stove piped. I'm saying, I won't carry a gun, and trust my life to it, after it rendered iinoperable within the first 200 rounds.

This is an expensive gun. And most importantly, a carry gun. It shouldn't be able to fail because a goofy spring design renders the gun susceptible to operator error during maintenance, despite following manufacturers instructions.
>>
>>29497309
>That gun is actually notorious for problems.
The P238 is one of the most popular .380s on the market. Of hundreds of thousands that have been sold, yes, you do hear about a few issues, but you don't hear about the many guns that are functioning flawlessly. I had a P238 for a while before I got the P938. I put about 2000 rounds through it and the only issue I had was related to one 7 round magazine which would drop free randomly. After Sig replaced the faulty magazine, the gun didn't malfunction once.
>>
File: sig_p938.jpg (195 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
sig_p938.jpg
195 KB, 1280x960
Definitely check the slide stop spring to make sure it is staying in place. The slide stop should not have any kind of slop. A slide stop pin that is on the low side of the tolerance may come loose easier. I know when I push on mine, it takes some effort to move it. Also, to a 938 owner to another, make sure to oil and grease the gun liberally. These sigs like to run wet. Also, I found the 938 feeds and extracts 124 gr. or higher ammo much better.
>>
>>29497457
>Gee, another human being has a different understanding of what "expensive means". I better belittle him and show how his expensive is so much less expensive than my expense! I'm sure all the other guys on the chans will love when I point out how he made a comment about money!
>>
File: facepalm (4).jpg (19 KB, 200x305) Image search: [Google]
facepalm (4).jpg
19 KB, 200x305
>>29497470
>I wouldn't redeem a manufacturer warranty to fix a broken part of my car that is critical to safety
You have absolutely gone off the deep end here. This level of nitpicking is commonly termed "autism" and is a serious, debilitating problem and impediment for life. Faulty brakes can be replaced, and the brakes will no longer be faulty. A broken extractor can be replaced with an unbroken extractor and the new extractor will no longer be "faulty." If your car or your gun has a problem, the whole thing isn't "tainted," as you seem to think. You've fallen into a common logical pitfall called throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
>>
>>29497384
Gun's in the car and I can't be assed to get it, but my frame rails look brand new. Mainly because I had the gun cerakoated recently and I use grease instead of oil. Just maintain your contact surfaces properly and your gun will wear beautifully.

>>29497396
>I'll never carry a firearm that's susceptible to, or prone to, any kind of mechanical failure
>susceptible, or prone to, any kind of mechanical failure
>susceptible

Your still telling me that you'd rather not carry any gun at all.
>>
>>29497590
>but my frame rails look brand new. Mainly because I had the gun cerakoated recently and I use grease instead of oil.
No, that would be mainly because of the cerakote job... But what did the rails look like before you got them refinished?
>>
>>29497590
There is no way that your frame rails would look brand new without a refinish after 8000 rounds. I keep mine soaked in grease and there is silver showing through in places after only about 450 rounds.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 340x565) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 340x565
>>29497470
>being this nit picky about a factory return on a genuine factory malfunction
>>
>>29497508
Nice strawman. Even bottom of the barrel beater guns all have price tags with three digits minimum. This isn't the time of years past where you could buy a nugget and five cans of spam for under #100. Nuggets are going for $200 on average nowadays. $700 for a pistol is par for the course. Now, if the anon had said that $700 is a large expense, then that would just mean he doesn't want to budget that much towards firearms. However, a $700 firfearm is by no means expensive when considering how much firearms cost nowadays.
>>
>>29497628
I already mentioned that I got my lower cerakoted recently. Granted, it was about 3k rounds ago, but still.

>>29497618
The grease protected them rather well. The factory coating will of course wear off around 1K rounds, but that is expected. The metal of the rails themselves were not damaged in the slightest. For shiggles, I measured the surface of the rails with a micrometer every 500 rounds. They varied less than .001 in. per every 500 rounds on average.
>>
File: DSC_0782.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0782.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>29497358
Op here, this is how well I could shoot the gun at 7 yards on the first range trip with it. Left was aiming carefully.
I shot a shield much more accurately, a difference i attribute to the trigger break of sig.

I like the gun but buying it was a poor choice it seems.
>>
>>29497072
Front sight fell off mine too after 2nd range trip.

So many sig fanboys...
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.