[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some help /k/, im a first time buyer of and AR build and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: YHM-8820_bg.jpg (62 KB, 1200x363) Image search: [Google]
YHM-8820_bg.jpg
62 KB, 1200x363
I need some help /k/, im a first time buyer of and AR build and im not sure where to start, i have a really good idea of what i want in the rifle but i don't know where to get it. I want to build my own right the first time so i waste as little money as possible and get the best for my dollar. Now this doesnt mean im not willing to spend any money, i just dont want it going to waste. Im looking at something between $900 and $1300 for my first build and like i said i have a really good idea of what i want

-billeted flat top upper receiver
-gas piston operated to keep the carbon out of the chamber and somewhere more manageable
-free floating quad rail hand guard ~10in
-16in mid barrel
-possibly nickle boron bolt carrier(though doubt i can find one for piston)

I've looked all over the place but i can only ever seem to find just a couple parts listed on one site or another, id really hate having to order from several separate sites to get all the parts i want, and the problem is since im new to buying i dont really know what to look for in part or really what all to get

I have used an M16 in army BCT so i know how to take apart and clean the upper portion of the rifle but was never allowed to go any further and i have been around guns most my life but mostly just bolt action rifles and shotguns... so i was thinking i could just buy a complete lower at my local gun shop and get everything else online. But i guess the main thing id like some help with is what parts i should get, what to look for, and where to get them at to keep everything in preferably the same website, so i can get a parts list
>>
>>29489763

ARs are like Legos. You know what parts you want, all you need to do now is order them.

You're probably not gonna get all those on the same site.
>>
>>29489763
>piston ar
>on a rifle designed for di

You've already fucked up.
>>
>>29489830
i figured id get some controversy here on this site about that but after the pain it was keeping the m16 clean in BCT and then learning about piston systems, i really like the concept.

i understand it does not remove the carbon build up it just build up somewhere else and i think that in the gas block is a much more manageable place to clean, just my personal opinion

plus it really dosnt add any real negatives to over all performance and any downsides that it has i feel like its more then worth for the benefits, plus since there is no hot gas being spewed on the bolt carrier it doesn't burn off oil nearly as fast which is another great positive in my eyes
>>
>>29489928
get LWRC upper
>>
Good. Go as cheap as you can without sacrificing main function and dependability. Fuck the bells and whistles, dude. You want a firearm workhorse you won't feel bad running hard or losing. I wish I would of built my firs AR on the cheap, too. Just barebones necessity.
>>
$900-$1300 for a first AR is way too much. You need to take to account ammo and training time. Not to mention optics.
>>
>>29489763
Ditch the piston and qaud rail. Go with DI and a keymod or mlok for your free float.
>>
>>29489928

Carrier tilt is an issue with most piston ARS
>>
File: 25 Meter Zeroing Target.jpg (428 KB, 1350x1800) Image search: [Google]
25 Meter Zeroing Target.jpg
428 KB, 1350x1800
>>
>>29491008
as i've said i've used the m16 build quite alot during Army Basic Combat Training so I'm no stranger to basic operation and maintenance, i really enjoy the rifle and since ive never owned one myself id like to start a build. I've seen "good" builds go for near $1500-$2000 so i figured around the $1000 mark would be a good place to start, i am very new to being able to buy individual parts since in BCT what i got is what i had there was no changing anything. i really dont know what to look for when buying parts and i figured this place would have some inside knowledge on the best places to et parts and what pitfalls to lookout for when it comes to gimmicks designed to lure new buyers like myself into

>>29491060
>>29491211
as for addressing carrier tilt and any other negatives, it seems the system i was looking at "Adams Arms" had a pretty good setup ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1gBnGOiSeo ) i like the fact they redirect the gas away from the user and handguard, and its also perfectly compatable with a free floating rail system, albeit i dont know much about carrier tilt as there isn't much info out there on it, just that its a thing, and Adams Arms seems to have their own way of counteracting it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.