[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legal Self Defence in Canada
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Flag_of_Canada.jpg (9 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Canada.jpg
9 KB, 400x200
Self defence in Canada is an iffy subject that leaves too many people the victim of both violent crime and poorly written law every year.

Self defense tools such as pepper spray and stun guns are illegal to own taking away what would seem like the most effective self defense measures.

Carrying anything for the purpose of self defense carry the same punishment as concealed weaponry with hefty fines and lengths of imprisonment.

So with all that being said, us law abiding citizens are left completely disarmed by the law while those who seek to do harm to others carry firearms, knives, batons and even pepper spray and tazers.

In the next few posts I am going to walk you through legal self defense in Canada and how to try to avoid being a victim of violent crime and also poorly written laws that often backfire on the innocent.
>>
>>29390334
Exact same here in Ireland. The only possible saving grace is that it's legal to own stab and bullet resistant garments here
>>
So how do I defend myself in Canada?

Well it is easier then you think. Under Canadian law if you believe that someone is going to do great bodily harm or be the cause of your expiration you are permitted to do whatever within reason to make sure that does not happen.

Now what is within reason? That is the catch.
Within reason means whatever a "Reasonable" person would do. An example of this thinking is as follows

>Tyrone confronts Jason late at night on Toronto streets.
>Tyrone says give me all of your money or I will kill you
>Jason gives Tyrone his wallet but is then assaulted anyway

Jason has reason to believe that this man is willing to kill. After being attacked Jason now has reasonible grounds to defend himself.

>Jason takes his collapsible baton out of his belt holster
>Jason proceeds to break Tyrone's arm
>Jason proceeds to break Tyrone's nose
>Jason proceeds to break Tyrone's fingers individually while singing amazing grace

This is considered under Canadian law to be an "excessive amount of force". Jason went above and beyond with his defense strategy completely eliminating the threat of further violence to himself and others. However to the courts self defense ends as soon as the target is no longer in control of the fight.

cont.
>>
>>29390449
The courts would find Jason on the following charges for the above story.
>Carrying a concealed weapon
>Assault

Even though Jason was doing what he thought was right at the time it is up to the court to decided how you should react, and it is their job to make an example of you so others know not to do the same thing. Jason was not using head head, if he was he would have remembered how to Properly Defend Yourself Under Canadian Self Defence Laws.

Proper story incoming
>>
>>29390449
>Carrying baton
>The courts consider this a weapon for defense

>Carrying a weapon
You fucked up. You'd be legally more covered carrying a knife because it's your "box cutter" at work and end up stabbing the guy with your tool, not weapon.
>>
>>29390449
Aren't collapsible batons prohibited weapons here anyway?
>>
>>29390516
>>29390505
See

>>29390484
>>
Canadian here. Monitoring this thread closely. What I've found in my own research matchs what OP is saying.

Looking forward to hearing some common sense solutions. I was aware of the "call your knife a tool" concept, which I employ.
>>
File: 1456351928680.png (75 KB, 380x296) Image search: [Google]
1456351928680.png
75 KB, 380x296
>>29390528
Then maybe have your story written out beforehand, Anon?
>>
Canadian, watching this thread. I live in a small town full of Junkies and lowlifes, so I usually carry my bear knife or my gerber 6 inch half serrated blade. I've had to pull them more times than I can count but I've never had to use them. I noticed the "say it's a tool" thing. Just wondering if im searched by the police for any reason and they find that can I just call it a tool and get off safe? I remembered reading somewhere that you can carry a 6 inch blade or under in canada as log as you dont have intent to cause bodily harm, which seems kind of bs to me, is it true?
>>
>>29390586
Canadian here, I've heard it cant be over 4 inches. So its probably all bs
>>
>>29390528
No, a telescoping baton is literally a prohibited weapon in Canada. Just having one will land you in jail. Same thing with nunchucks, ninja stars, etc.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-98-462/latest/sor-98-462.html
>>
>>29390625
Just to be more precise, the batons that are prohibited are spring loaded or gas charged or batons that terminate in a heavy caliber tip (50mm) or larger. The standard police batons aren't prohibited but it is unlawful to carry them concealed.
>>
>>29390603
There is no length restriction on carrying knives within the Criminal Code, but there is a prohibition against carrying a knife if the possessor intends to carry for a purpose dangerous to public peace or for the purpose of committing a criminal offence.[14]It is also an offence to take a weapon or prohibited device to a public meeting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation

It's wikipedia so who knows. Also define public meeting? Does this mean in any crowded area or what?
>>
You can't blast a guy for simply breaking in to your house.

However, there were some leeways in previous cases. The guy that blew away 3 or 4 guys (including one who was running away) who broke into his house with clubs and a sword with the intent of murdering him only got a prohibited weapons charge because he took the pin out of his 30 round SKS mag.

That being said, in most cases it doesn't matter what's going on the responding officers are going to take your guns and hit you with an improper storage laws because they're written so that you can't get to your firearms and load them in time during a home invasion. You may get them back and whatever charges dropped when the investigation is over.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.