[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any archeryfags around here? I recently participated in a competition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 14
File: 3889.jpg (360 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
3889.jpg
360 KB, 1300x1300
Any archeryfags around here?

I recently participated in a competition where we had to walk around a big forest and then shoot at 3D archery targets of various animals, fun as fuck and I learned a lot.

Now, I want to get better since my bow is just a cheap longbow that I got on Amazon, I noticed that it hindered my accuracy because of all the vibrations and shit.

What bow should I get in order to upgrade? I want to buy something that can grow with me, so I don't mind payer +1k for a bow.

It has to be a traditional bow, so no compounds and Olympic target bows.

What does /k/ recommend?
>>
>>29401021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Stop what you're doing and watch this video, before you make any of the wrong decisions or buy into the hype that is modern archery. Lars Andersen has studied the actual historical texts that warrior archers learned from, and compiled a style created from accurate, practicality driven teachings. Modern archers will want to load you up with all kinds of compounds bows, sights, quivers, carbon fiber arrows, etc. These are all generic consumer products that will not actually help you grow as an archer, rather hinder you by building bad habits and reliance on them.

Seriously, don't fall into the modern myths of archery, the study is changing and Lars is leading the way, following him is following thousands of years of far more effective archers than we can hope to become today.
>>
>>29401021
>I noticed that it hindered my accuracy because of all the vibrations and shit.

Unless the bow is absolute shit tier, you really just have to work on form, first and foremost since you are a lot more integrated into the action than say, firing a firearm.

In terms of vibration, there's always going to be vibration, unless you start putting weights and stab rods on your bow, but that's getting too ahead.
>>
>>29401255
>don't go into ____
>go into ____ instead
Lars is not the hero god you seem to love putting up there.
It's like you're trying to tell someone not to get into semiautomatics because it's not traditional and handloading is the only true way to get into shooting.

Do whatever you feel driven to do, OP. Hell, you can even get into all forms of archery if you so choose. The sport is small, so you'll meet quite a lot of cool people, but don't let people like >>29401255 try and dictate you on being "credible".
>>
>>29401295
He has actual evidence and skill to back himself up, everyone else is Hollywood myth, sorry you're letting yourself be had matey.
>>
>>29401823
So a guy using a low draw weight bow and spewing bs is enough to please autists like you these days ? Good to know
>>
>>29401872
Get over yourself, if it's effective it's effective, and it's the true ancient way to actually do it.

Love the name fag btw, everything you say immediately disregarded lol.
>>
>>29401823
>Lars is only archer who has skill and evidence of his skillset and tradition
>The only other archery done in the world is Hollywood
That's you. That's what you're saying in that post.
Why would someone take advice from someone this ignorant? If you were to go up to Lars and talk with him, I bet he'd mock you as well.
>>
>>29401910
>Why would someone take advice from someone this ignorant?
Because Lars already found out that it's true mate, pay attention to the video, take a breather, understand you've been had and all your modern archery gear is doing nothing to help you. And then you can actually learn how to be an archer.
>>
>>29401960
please stop shitposting. You are scaring away all the new people who want to get into archery.
>>
>>29402001
New people deserve to know the truth mate, sorry that hurts you.
>>
>>29401255
Other than Lars, by his own admission made up the way he shoots and then looked for things that seemed to back things up.

Then he chose primarily artist depictions and ignored known treatise, in modern terms watched die hard and thought he understood guns

He's a skilled trick shooter but, again by his own admission, never shoots over 45lb bows
>>
File: 1404571303732.jpg (226 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1404571303732.jpg
226 KB, 1252x1252
>>29401255
>>29401823
>>29401894
>>29401960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4
Lars is a trick shooter with terrible research methodology.
>>
>>29402041
Who the fuck cares?

Archery is purely a fun shit, if you want warfare and battle you can buy a fucking gun. Lars teaching about warfare from 1000 years ago is as relevant as a Weeaboo faggot making videos about fighting with a Katana, it's fun and all but useless and irrelevant in this age.

Nobody gives a fuck about rapid firing a bow and doing those tricks like he does, because people use archery for target practice and fun.

Now fuck off.
>>
File: 30a.jpg (59 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
30a.jpg
59 KB, 600x450
>>29402041
>Lars' bullshit
>Truth
>>
>>29402058
>needing above 45lb bows
Shot placement please.

Lars never admitted he made up the way he shoots and then found things to back it up lel.

>>29402071
>some nobody female makes a video with terrible ratings because everyone knows shes full of shit
kay, unimpressed.

>>29402097
Well, actual archers care.
>>
>>29402177
>kay, unimpressed.
Lars is full of shit. Sure, he's a talented trick shooter, but that doesn't make him right about all archery.
>>
File: image.jpg (225 KB, 1418x860) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
225 KB, 1418x860
>>29402177
>actual archers.

You moron, actual archers don't care about warfare from 2000 years ago, they are too busy shooting their special Olympic bows.

>urr durr the pictures are accurate

Wait, doesn't this picture show a bow strung backwards? How the fuck can you trust this shit? You talk about Hollywood but can't seem to understand they those guys that painted those pictures were as dumb as any Hollywood moron that puts cocking sounds everytime someone touches a gun.
>>
>>29402212
Says who, you? Some shitty archer female that contradicts herself? Kay, unimpressed.

>>29402231
>You moron, actual archers don't care about warfare from 2000 years ago
Then they aren't real archers now are they?
>>
you can own bows in Australia? I thought that banned those.
>>
>>29402255
Archery is a purely fun based activity, it's irrelevant to learn what some people did thousands of years ago when we have firearms.
>>
I bought a 35lb Sage to dick around with.
I am not very good with it.
I think my nocking point is too low.
>>
>>29402282
You can find something to measure it out. Why do you think the nocking point is too low?
>>
>>29402255
>Lars references myths, artworks that support his theory but ignores others, completely ignores archer's paradox, and has infomercial-bad "any way but mind id wrong" demos
>Ignores all history that doesn't fit his theories
>>
>>29402300
About a half inch lower and the arrows are very visibly bouncing off of the shelf. I don't use those little fetus arm rests so it's just a matter of timing it.
>>
>>29402177
>Lars never admitted he made up the way he shoots and then found things to back it up lel.

Other than he did in an interview several years ago, he directly said that he practiced ways to speed up shooting as he thought there has to be a quicker way, once he had his way he looked for evidence of others using similiar techniques.

as for "Shot placement please" how much do you suppose it would take to break maile rings, pierce a gambeson beneath that with heavy stock war arrows and still achieve a useful range, here's a hint examples found aboard the Many Rose where all 150+lb
>>
>>29402322
Lars trolls are just the new RIPfags.
>>
>>29402311
well, if you have a square or T ruler lying around, you can mark a new nocking point. As for that fetus soft hand rest, it's more for people who get anal into not "affecting" the arrow as much as possible. Shit, I have one of those magnetic wire rest on my oly setup.

I miss archery sometimes. But I hit a plateau in self learning and gun shooting has taken up my time instead.
>>
File: nap-centerrest-flipper.jpg (53 KB, 704x384) Image search: [Google]
nap-centerrest-flipper.jpg
53 KB, 704x384
>>29402311
>~$20-30
>Easy to install
>Heads can be replaced without changing zero
>>
File: bow1.jpg (1 MB, 2285x1714) Image search: [Google]
bow1.jpg
1 MB, 2285x1714
here's my $1000 olympic set up.
I was about to get into compound before I discovered guns.
>>
>>29402275
>i want to be an idiot and bad at what i do
This is you tho.

>>29402301
Still citing some moronic female archer whos video has a ton of dislikes? Wew lad.

>>29402322
>as for "Shot placement please" how much do you suppose it would take to break maile rings, pierce a gambeson beneath that with heavy stock war arrows and still achieve a useful range, here's a hint examples found aboard the Many Rose where all 150+lb
blah blah muh non facts. Anyway, people wore plate in those days anyway, it's skirting off the armor to find gaps, not penetration. 150lb bows don't penetrate plate.
>>
>>29403397
>Anyway, people wore plate in those days anyway, it's skirting off the armor to find gaps, not penetration. 150lb bows don't penetrate plate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCE40J93m5c
>>
>>29403397
>Still citing an infomercial-tier scam artist with obvious low-draw weight, half draw tricks, and blatant "doesn't work outside trick shooting" techniques
>>
>>29403489
>a bunch of arrows stick into the armor
>nothing penetrates deep enough to wound
Kay? Ever wonder why the armor domes out so far from the wearer? It's not form fitting, it's made that way for that exact reason.

>>29403535
Yep, he's the best, he learned from the best, his video ratings back it up because they know he's the best. Stop being mad your form of archery died before it began, true historically archery will be forever.
>>
>>29403604
>Yep, he's the best, he learned from the best, his video ratings back it up because they know he's the best. Stop being mad your form of archery died before it began, true historically archery will be forever.
>his video ratings back it up
>Lots of ill-informed idiots impressed by his editing and confidence
>using youtube ratings and comments as a measure of authenticity and accuracy ever
>>
>>29403677
Yep, stop being buttmad lol.
>>
>>29403604
I really want to see how long you can keep trolling. But archery threads are not very alive.
>>
>>29403735
A while, honestly you get more dudes goin for it on /out/

It's where I originally did eet. But /out/ is by far an easier place.
>>
File: archery dude.jpg (45 KB, 425x316) Image search: [Google]
archery dude.jpg
45 KB, 425x316
this count ?
>>
File: naked archery.jpg (90 KB, 500x642) Image search: [Google]
naked archery.jpg
90 KB, 500x642
this
>>
>>29403763
if you lose the "kay" and "unimpressed" a few posts in, you'd get a bit more out of it. Then again, I'm not sure what time zone most of the archery people on /k/ comes on. We SOMETIMES have a good single archery thread, but it's slim pickings.
>>
>>29403948

>inb4 ban
>>
>>29403988
Naw, you're too new at the game to give me pointers lol, it's why you're trying to "help" me as if there's some smagically correct way to do it. Basically it's obvious this is your sad attempt to save your dignity, but again, you're too new to the game lol.

Was an okay attempt. The real reason is because archery threads are shit on /k/ because archer is shit and guns are better.
>>
File: dirtyass.jpg (642 KB, 1586x1116) Image search: [Google]
dirtyass.jpg
642 KB, 1586x1116
>>29404196
I do like the emphasis on form in archery and the community is niche enough that you normally meet people who aren't really assholes because it's too small a interest to burn bridges.
But nothing beats the sound, feel, and smell of guns.
>>
File: mongol_bow.jpg (25 KB, 535x241) Image search: [Google]
mongol_bow.jpg
25 KB, 535x241
>>29402231
That bow isn't strung backwards it's a composite bow. Besides that I agree with you.
>>
>>29402255
>Then they aren't real archers now are they?
I don't think you actually know what an archer is.
>>
>>29404286
Picture is different. The bow is strung backwards, since the composite bow looks nothing like the one pictured in the Egyptian mural.
>>
>>29404319
I know exactly what it is.
>>
>>29402957
Nice setup anon.
>>
>>29404429
Yeah, all that shit and he still can't aim as good as Lars.
>>
>>29404447
Kek. The bait is real.
>>
>>29404447
>urr durr it's all about the ancient knowledge and not natural talent.
>>
>>29403948
No gwb thread?
She has a nice quiver
>>
>>29404468
Yeah but niggas still be goin for it.

>>29404473
Like read the thread holy fuck BARRY
>>
>>29404596

I'd draw an arrow from my quiver for her bow, If you catch my drift
>>
>>29403735
>>29404196
>Lol I troll u, was just pretending
>>
>>29404884
>not noticing blatant pasta
Wew led =))))))))))
>>
>>29404918
>using pasta in a thread that never happens
>helping it derail the thread
fuck you I want to see people actually talk about archery

I'm still in the early stages, what do you guys recommend for someone that feels done with their first 20 lb. bow? For that matter how do I know if I'm using it to its full potential and ready for something harder?
>>
>>29405002
I recommend you watch the Lars Andersen video and not waste your time with fake archery :)
>>
>>29405002
I recommend a takedown with decent range of limbs. ILF models will give you the broadest range and cross-brand compatibility, but are going to stop at lower weights than
models with brand-specific limbs.
>>
>>29401255
Fucking trad fag
>>
>>29405002
I also recommend a take down model too. My personal is a Samick Sage 62" in 45#. Really handy to breakdown and bring around since my car is fucking compact.

As for knowing if you're using full potential, my guess is if it begins to feel light as you draw. It really depends since the Sage is my first and only bow, and I workout to comfortably draw back.
>>
>>29406076
I've got a Martin Saber, one of the great things about Martin TDs is that all of their limbs and risers are interchangeable.
>>
0 knowledge of bows besides high school gym. Would the samick sage be a good starting point? Also what draw weight should I start with?
>>
>>29406143
Nice. I always see that model at my local shop and big 5
>>
>>29406169
25# is a good starting point, assuming you have no shoulder strength at all.
The Sage is a good bow, I have the #45 currently.
>>
File: transition.png (354 KB, 698x960) Image search: [Google]
transition.png
354 KB, 698x960
>>29401255
You are being ironic rite?
>>
>>29406292
Also is there a difference between 45lbs on a compound and 45lbs on a recurve? I've only ever used compound.
>>
>>29406346
Big difference. The let-off on a compound means you just need one big burst of strength to draw and hold. With a trad you're using your strength to hold all the draw weight steady until ready to release.
>>
>>29404363
You don't know anymore about archery than you know about turbine engines or who your father was.
>>
>>29401255
See.
>>29379105

>>29401894
"effective"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULmGfvYlso
>>
>>29406346
Essentially they're the same. But the difference is that in compunds, the camshafts hold that weight for you, while in a recurve, your shoulders and upper back hold the weight.
>>
>>29403948
what is work safe boards for 600 Alex
>>
>>29401021
>vibration reducing my aim

What kind of shit-tastical bow do you have?

Anyways, here's a suggestion.

If you're looking to hunt, get a compound or a crossbow.

If you're looking to have fun, get a recurve or longbow.

Just research it on google.

Here's one for recurves.

http://www.bestrecurvebowguide.com/

Also, it wouldn't hurt to look for your local archery shops.
>>
>>29406449
Took you all day to come up with that? It's not 1950 anymore, but since we're being that old, you play ball like a girl.

>>29406479
Yep, it's effective, thanks for proving it.
>>
>>29401255
>using the shitty populist video that misrepresents archery

Shame, should've used the one where Lars Andersen actually talks for himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLTA43MBuA
>>
>>29406726
He's being modest, you're still wrong. Feels bad huh?
>>
>>29406679
>"effective"
Against an unarmored, unmoving piece of pig flesh, sure.
>>
>>29406763
>i said he misrepresented history here
>he basically stated that the video created misrepresented history
>he said it himself it was a short populist video that didn't fully explain his views of history or what is true

Feels bad to be this retarded huh?
>>
>>29406679
>You play ball like a girl

At least I can play ball, kid.
>>
>>29406765
Any proper armor will stop arrows, it's about redirecting them. If the bow is powerful enough to stick into the plate, it won't penetrate into the body, AND it won't slide up the armor into the gaps.

The more you know ;)

>>29406786
I dunno, does it? You tell me, you're the one full of shit lelled tho.
>>
>>29406821
>playing ball like a girl
>able to play ball
Well, you tried ;)
>>
>>29406825
I dunno, you tell me, my brain hasn't become so dysfunctional to the point where I can't even make a decent comeback and have to try to redirect an insult because my brain is too slow to actually come up with one. Not to mention being rebuked by a guy he was clearly trying to argue for and just keeps on pushing. This is damage control equivalent to a 5 alarm fire, and it appears anon is managing to burn himself with it.
>>
>>29406894
Blah blah, where's your video with tens of millions of views that are hugely upvoting and supporting the new age of archery?

Oh right, it's nowhere, toodleoooo =)
>>
>>29406844
I would say the same for your "LARS ANDERSEN IS AN ARCHERY GOD, HUE HUE I DIDN"T PAY ATTENTION TO ANYTHING ELSE AND I KNOW ALL ABOUT ARCHERY", but at that point it just looks like copy pasta.
>>
>>29406919
>LARS ANDERSEN IS AN ARCHERY GOD
Ew. h3h3 please go away kike.
>>
>>29406911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Dear god, it has 2.5 billion views and 10 million likes. Obviously this is the pinnacle of music, all other music trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs

Oh this video has 575 million views and has 2.5 million likes. Obviously music is superior to Moonlight Sonata done by Beethoven, which only has 47 million views.

That's what the equivalent of I just read.
>>
>>29406911
Say, where's your video with tens of millions of views?

Oh right, nowhere.
>>
>>29406825
>it won't penetrate into the body, AND it won't slide up the armor into the gaps.
>lighter bows will penetrate into the body, AND it will slide up the armor into the gaps.

That is probably the most retarded thing I've seen posted on 4chan.
That's. Just
>>
>>29407040
SO STUPID
>>
>>29407053
It doesn't deserve one post to tell it how stupid it is, it needs three
>>
>>29401255
>this copy pasta again
>>
>>29401021
Just get yourself a nice 'ol wooden bow. Longbow.
Not a Modern Longbow. A traditional one.
Ain't no need for this synthetic shit.
>>
>>29401021
I recommend a plane ol" "what ever is around" timber bow; here's a build tutorial op. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoukoBs8TE
>>
>>29407040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCN7HId-b8
And we have historical, physical evidence that British archers, for instance, used insanely powerful longbows with big, thick, heavy-duty arrows with multiple arrow heads to optimize for the target, because they were up against heavily armored French knights, and there's no way the Lars video's techniques were useful there.
>>
>>29407010
Burden of proof is on you!

>>29406987
Yep, you're right, I agree!

>>29407040
Wew lad u dumb.

>>29407265
Well I'll stop trolo for one second, first off, Lindy has no actual background on the topic. You want a real video check out this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvlZcxNAVY

And the whole series on it really.
>>
>>29407344
So let me get this straight, let me take a good example... cars.

If I have an obviously superior car that has better gas mileage, more utility, more ability, and actually much cheaper in the long run, than let's say some old style of beater car but has less traction with the public for numerous factors, the beater car is superior.
>>
>>29407445
Buddy, relax, I'm bored of it. It's a copypasta, it was always a copypasta, Lars is an exhibition shooter.
>>
>>29407467
No, YOU RELAX. I'M ALWAYS RIGHT AND I LIKE ARGUING. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah, I'll stop.
>>
>>29407558
Kay.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.