[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into long range shooting and I have a few questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: Long-Range_Photo.jpg (751 KB, 2317x1738) Image search: [Google]
Long-Range_Photo.jpg
751 KB, 2317x1738
I want to get into long range shooting and I have a few questions

>how do I go about "practicing" this? Or do I just throw myself out there and start shooting at 800m

>what is a good base rifle to start on?

>Are the Schmidt-Bender optics.worth the price over Nightforce?
>>
>>29370994
As a starter it doesnt hurt to get a 700p in 308 (Ruger PSR if you want to look cool) with some decent glass ($500-$700), that should get you out to 800m with some practice.

Once you get good you should move up to a 300wm or maybe 338.

>how do I practice
Zero rifle at 100yd, push out to 300yd, push out to 500yd, push out to 700yd,etc. Make sure you understand the concepts that go into long range shooting before you just start dumping rounds at 700yd and miss a lot.
>S&B > Nightforce?
These are well beyond you as a starter. Honestly nightforce is fine for as far as you ever will shoot.
>>
>>29371044
>>29370994
Also keep in mind everyone in long range shooting has autism and will claim that their caliber/rifle/optic/breakfast cereal is better than yours.
>>
>>29371044
>>29371057
I get tht S&B and Nightforce are beyond the means of starters but I plan on buying a TRG-42 and working my way up from there. they are decetly priced around $3800 and for that price I feel like you get ALOT of gun for a good price. Not to mention there would be no need to buy another gun moving up from .308 to .338 if I started at .338. I already am pretty adept at reloading so doing that with the .338 would be no problem at all.
>>
>>29371044
sounds like someone who has shitty equipment compared to mine.

>>29370994
Much more important than your optic on your rifle is your binoculars or spotting scope. Secondly your equipment sucks compared to mine. Also just kinda dive in head first. You'll do great bby.
>>
File: dessert.jpg (581 KB, 1368x2430) Image search: [Google]
dessert.jpg
581 KB, 1368x2430
>>29371104
I've read it's advised to start with .308 because you can shoot a lot of rounds at that comparatively low FPS without smoothing out your barrel as some of the higher FPS rounds will do quicker. I'm newbie as shit personally but who fucking cares?
>>
>>29371104
>I plan on buying a TRG-42 and working my way up from there
That is sort of overkill but okay
>>
>>29371057
Lucky charms masterrace reporting.

Learn to read wind at 300m, then go on out further.
>>
I am not going to tell you about rifles or optics, because you will get

>Savage
>Tikka
>Ruger Precision
^This will trigger Hirr durr Rugay
>Some jackass "Hurr durr AWP"

Etc.

But, when you have a rifle and optic, preferably with some sort of ranging reticle so as not to be dialing every shot--

Look into some ballistics charts on ammunition, perhaps buy a couple boxes of factory loads just to get started.

Let's say we are talking .308 (just go to http://gundata.org/blog/post/308-ballistics-chart/)

Based on the variables accounted for (Height over bore optic, zero range etc.)

At 440 yards, your bullet will have dropped 40 inches. Let us pretend that your optic has no subtensions or ranging reticles for holdover. Let us also assume MOA adjustments (.25 MOA clicks) and just eliminate wind drift.

This is where a spotting scope is key!

To adjust for 40 inches of drop if you want to put crosshairs dead center of your target, at 440 yards, 1 MOA equals 4.4", so we need to adjust 40 inches

Now

Adjustment Inches/(Range in Yards/100)

40/(440/100)--->40/4.4=9.09 MOA

9.09/.25 (your clocks are 1/4 MOA)

36.36 clicks, your scope will manage that ok, but

As you can see, that is a lot of clicking to do, hence the use age of holdover reticles to vastly reduce this.

Now, have clicked 36.36 clicks, put your reticle on the Target and shoot.

Spotter calls your shot, and adjust accordingly

Practice practice practice. As you can see the math involved is not particularly complex, however, based on varying weather conditions, altitude, individual ammunition differences etc it takes some time to figure out (that's why you build a dope chart)
>>
>>29371139
By "working my way up" I basically mean working my way into shooting effectively. I do not personally see a need to go to a caliber larger than .338 so this would probably be my first and only rifle for the foreseeable future.

>>29371133
I guess I could just buy like a 100% stock 700p and shoot the shit out of it until I get comfortable with 800ish meters. I have a friend who works at Remington so I can get a 700p for like $550. Although I do think it would be stupid to dump alot of money into a .308 if I plan on moving to the .338
>>
>>29371170
>Although I do think it would be stupid to dump alot of money into a .308 if I plan on moving to the .338
People are always buying them. Easy sale.
>>
File: 1457142830851.png (310 KB, 455x817) Image search: [Google]
1457142830851.png
310 KB, 455x817
>>29371133
>dessert.jpg
>>
>>29370994
>tfw I can't practice long range shooting because there isn't an outdoor range close enough for me to get to without taking a day off of work.
>>
>>29371133
This. .308 is the best practice round for LR shooting because it's cheap, doesn't have a lot of recoil, and won't burn out your barrel.

>>29371104
>>29371170
>$3800
You can build yourself a rifle that is just as accurate for considerably less, unless you specifically want the TRG. Buying a dedicated long-distance rifle is like buying an Alienware gaming computer; it's good, but you're paying extra for the convenience.

Bear in mind that jumping straight to magnum calibers is something virtually nobody does in long-range shooting for a reason. What's the farthest you've shot, and how long have you been shooting?
>>
>>29371201
>farthest
600m with only 4x magnification

>long have I been shooting
My whole life, although I have actively been shooting 300m+ for about 5 years
>>
>>29371178
I'll take my desert with two scoopings. :3

>>29371237
honestly sounds like you're set for those magnum rounds. have at 'em tiger! teach us later mkay?
>>
>>29371272
It is a bit stupid and irrational on my part, however I have a hardon for the TRG looks and for 7-800 more I can get a 42 rather than a 22 so I figure I just may as well buy a TRG-42. Although I may buy a 700p and slap a Leupold on it and start out that with that for a little.
>>
Leupold makes amazing scopes check them out OP
>>
>>29371237
>actively been shooting 300m+ for about 5 years
Shooting for groups, or shooting at steel?
>>
>>29371317
only poorfags shoot leupold
>>
>>29371317
Leupold is ok, mid-tier at best. Fudds love it because they don't know shit about glass and they're all brand whores. You can get the same performance out of slightly cheaper upper-level Nikon.
>>
>>29371408
Steel :( but its hard to shoot for accuracy when 75% of your shooting is with irons
>>
>>29371477
Absolutely do not start with the TRG, then. If most of your shooting is blasting at steel with irons, then you have to get into the swing of precision shooting. It doesn't make sense to be sending .338 downrange when you're going to need thousands of rounds worth of practice to get gud.

Long range shooting doesn't happen overnight. The only way to develop skill is to practice and develop loads. Unless you're filthy rich, cost is always going to be a consideration.
>>
First off be prepared to spend lots of money. Gun, optics, ammo, range finder. If you are serious about it you will start reloading as well. It all adds up. There are a lot of guns that will do 1,000+ yards. Do your research, do not get an amazing gun them mount a cheap scope. Optics are very important at range. Gun should be capable of sub MOA at 100 yards. Find people that are already into long range shooting who live around you, and learn from them
>>
File: 869.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
869.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
At $5.00 a round the 338 LM is not exactly a good starter gun. hitting steel at 1,250 yards without a problem though.
>>
>>29371582
reloading would get your cost down to around $1.25 per round
>>
>>29371591
As long as you buy in bulk then yeah, you may be able to get the cost down even more.
>>
>>29371626
Who shoots long range and doesnt reload?

>>29371582
>not buying the Sako bipod
>>
>>29371641
Could care less what bipod you buy, get whatever works for you.

I was guessing that since OP is just getting into LR shooting that he doesn't reload. Initial cost for reloading isn't cheap, and there is a learning curve.
>>
this guy has some good stuff to start with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn
>>
>>29371682
I actually do reload>>29371104

How is the recoil on the 42? I have read everything from its nothing, to its unbearable over 10rds.
>>
File: 1425232506434.gif (975 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1425232506434.gif
975 KB, 400x225
>>29370994
>start shooting at 800m

good luck hitting anything kid.
>>
>>29370994
cant go wrong with a rem 700 .308 is the best to start off with
the scope really depends on how much you want to spend night force scopes are good they have everything you need schmidt scopes have the best glass in the business you'd be able to reach out to a mile no problem
keep of how you shot that day write the temperature distance wind speed, etc
>>
>>29371442
>>29371409
Leupold is great for hunting in general and their good for hunting early in the morning or late because they let in a good amount of light. Not a cheap scope either. Nikon is nice but idk... i just feel scopes arnt their thing.
>>
>>29371694
The TRG isn't bad. It hits hard but not sharp. My .270's recoil is worse. Its about like shooting 12 gauge slugs, so i wouldn't want to send a ton of lead down range with it. 20+ rounds in a day, and you will feel it
>>
Since you reload you may want to look into .260 Remington or 6.5x47 Lapua. Both are better than a 308 in my opinion.
>>
>>29370994
how much shooting experience do you have?
>>
>>29370994
Start out with a heavy-barrel Savage 10 FCP-SR (.308), SWFA SS 10X scope, Harris S-BRM bipod, & a single-stage reloading setup.

Get comfortable first at 50m, then start stretching the range. Focus on tight groups and get your scope and a basic load dialed in exactly.

Now get a chronograph and a notebook. Move out to 300m and start shooting your best handloads with high-BC bullets. 5 bullet designs, 5 types of powder, 20 cartridges each. Figure out what's most consistent speed-wise and accuracy-wise. As part of that, mark each casing and carefully measure each component (especially case length and bullet weight).

When you have your best handload designed, start ranging out again. 500m, then 800m, then maybe try for the 1km mark. Don't fuck with your handload--as long as it stays supersonic to the target.

When you're pretty reliable at 800m, start thinking of your next step--a new rifle in a new chambering. Maybe an AR-30A1 in .338 Lapua? Maybe upgrade your optics to something in the $1,000-2,000 price range. Formulate a new load and get shooting.
>>
>>29371736
>they let in a good amount of light
So does practically every scope in the same price range. And remember that light transmission is heavily dependent on objective diameter. If the goal is to do low-light shit, 50mm is the absolute minimum.
>>
>>29370994
Acog makes some of the clearest scopes I have ever shot.
>>
>>29370994
You practice by working out 50 yards at a go.
>10/10 at 300
>10/10 at 350
>etc

Nightforce is good enough for recreational shooting. The S&B PMII is the single best built tactical scope and top 3 in glass quality. Buy the NF til youre happy with your 1km groups, youll know if you want to upgrade from there.

Entry level LR rifle would be a Savage 12 Varmint. Its the antithesis of a tactical rifle but its sub MOA from the box and significantly cheaper than a 10 FCP.
>>
>>29372025
>starting at 50m

is that really necessary?
>>
File: dessert eagle.jpg (69 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
dessert eagle.jpg
69 KB, 500x666
>>29371178
>>
Thoughts on having a custom rifle built? There's a gunsmith in my city that specializes in custom precision rifles. I was thinking of basing it off the remington 700 mountain in 308, a light hunting rifle in stainless steel, because that's what I want to get originally, but I'd replace so many parts it's more cost effective this way.
>>
>>29372413
Whats the cost going to be?
>>
File: IMAG1209.jpg (1 MB, 1824x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1209.jpg
1 MB, 1824x3264
>>29372025
>Savage 12
Yiss... Can't wait until the 30mph cross winds die down...
>>
>>29372413
Depending on cost, it's probably better to get the gunsmith to do as little as possible. You can buy the stock and bed the action yourself to save money.
>>
>>29373713
>>29372437
Not sure on cost yet, I emailed him today asking how to get started, and I haven't received a reply yet. I'll let you know more when I do, in this or a later thread.
>>
How accurate are new remington barrels out of the box? Should I plan on replacing it?
>>
>>29370994

>how do I go about "practicing" this? Or do I just throw myself out there and start shooting at 800m

5.56 NATO will let you practice for cheap out to 500 yds, and get VERY used to wind calls at those ranges.

Honestly, just about any rifle will be good at 500 yds, even a basic AR.

However, if you want something that you can spice up later, a bolt action 308 with a bull barrel is my recommendation. A Howa 1500 Targetmaster is a great rifle and action; throw it in a Bell & Carson stock and put some decent glass on it and you're in business.

Honestly, both of them lose out in price to quality to Japanese glass. Consider a Vortex Razor HD or Bushnell Elite DMR; both are world class optics for half the price.

Also, any question you can ask can be pre-emptively answered on this website; spend some hours reading all the articles and you'll have a working knowledge of precision shooting:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/
>>
Long range shooting is boring as fuck
>>
>>29371057
sounds like AR general
>>
>>29372413
Why not buy an action and barrel and have the gunsmith chamber it for you? Then you can buy a pre inletted stock and fit it yourself, bed it with marinetex then you are good to go.
>>
>>29376613
You are retarded
>>
>>29370994
>nobody has suggested SWFA
for the price the glass is just insanely good
>>
>>29370994
You start at 300 yards and go from there. Sounds over simplified but that's the way you do it.
The long answer is you will increase in distance as fast as the math becomes an afterthought. If you can look at a shot and just know the dope you will get there quicker.. if you have to stop and calculate every shot it's gonna take time. So the more rounds you put down range the quicker you will get where you want to be.
If you're smart you will invest in a top shelf bolt action rifle from the start. It makes no sense to do anything else. Also start reading everything you can about reloading. Spend some time talking with the old timers who grab everyone's brass, they are reloaders with decades of experience. You are going to need to have a solid footing in loading your own before you get consistent past 500 yards IMO, so don't put off learning the art and it's easier to learn from someone who has been doing it half their life than from a book.
You better be ready to spend some money from the start anon, distance and precision shooting has a massive learning curve for those of us who weren't born with the skills.
Anyone who has been into long distance shooting will agree with my next statement and those who think about getting into long distance shooting will loose their shit.
It's very very easy to spend two or three times what you need to on scopes. Buy something in the $400.00 to $550.00 price range first. Figure out if you are really willing to make the serious commitment to the sport before you get into the high end scopes. If you get to a point you are shooting out past 1,100 hundred yards or so you have earned the right to drop $3,500.00 of the best glass on the market. Lots of people make a start into distance shooting, few ever get good at distance.
>>
>>29380199
So are you dubsfaggot.
>>
File: 1429873063364.jpg (10 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
1429873063364.jpg
10 KB, 184x274
Listen dudes, the Remington 700 kind of sucks. I think you'd be better served by a SAPR (Semi-Automatic Precision Rifle), especially if you are FCLE (For Constitution Law Enforcement).
>>
Thinking about the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in Left Handed config. 26 inch barrel and 1:12 twist bothers me though. Surely 26 inches is excessive for .308, I imagine barrel harmonics might fuck everything up. Then again I've heard great things about what people have been able to achieve with this rifle.

The other option is the Savage FCP-SR, 24 inch barrel, 1:10 twist but has a gay fluted barrel and doesn't have as heavy a profile as the SPS Varmint.

On the plus side, it'll probably do better out of the box already has some cheap shitty detatch box mag system.

What would be your choice out of those two?
>>
>>29385621
Dude, Surgeon make LH short actions now (.308 bolt face). Go make the ultimate custom LH .308 and put a Nikon optic on it like >>29383254 said. That'll get you started.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.