[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally shot my LC9s for the first time today, never fired a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: ruger-lc9.jpg (78 KB, 881x900) Image search: [Google]
ruger-lc9.jpg
78 KB, 881x900
Finally shot my LC9s for the first time today, never fired a non-22lr pistol, never been to a public range. Had a couple issues.
>consistently shot too low
>carved up my thumb with the nail on my trigger finger.
>pistol felt like it was going to jump out of my hand every shot
>sometimes the slide locked back with rounds still in the mag (Winchester Train and Federal 124gr)
Obviously I'm holding it wrong, so where do I put my hands?
Also, how thoroughly should I be cleaning it, and how many rounds do you usually take with you? I blew through 150 but it didn't feel like it was enough, there was some paper left still.
>>
It's pretty shit for a beginner's pistol, but here goes.
aim higher

trim your nails or move your thumb down

just make sure you have a good grip on it- small pistols like this aren't comfortable, especially the LC9s

make sure you're not pushing the slide stop up with your grip

It should be fine to go without cleaning after 150 rounds. 500 rounds would be fine, maybe even cautious just so long as the fouling isn't causing malfunctions. Clean until you can't get more carbon out, then oil. May as well do the job right while you're in there.
I try to bring at least 300 rounds of 9mm for a few hours on the range.
>>
Nobody can tell you how to hold it.
There is a jerry miculek video on youtube though. Just for starters.
You probably had your finger on thr slide lock.

I usualy take 100 rounds for a pistol day.
>>
>>29348540
Gotta keep them nails short. A lot of handguns will do that.

Subcompacts are emergency guns, they don't handle well and are difficult to be accurate with. That's just inherent with the size. If performance is what you want go with a compact. But honestly a sub is probably all you'll need unless you expect to get into legit gunfights. Anyone that's a serious threat is likely going to be within 10-15 feet, and if it's multiple assailants they tend to scatter when a shot rings out. The most important thing is having it when you need it (and therefore keeping it on you at all times) so the convenience of a subcompact may be in your favor.
>>
>>29348752
Mostly this. For comparison, rent a full size or compact gun and you'll notice the difference.
>>
>>29348752
>Subcompacts are emergency guns, they don't handle well and are difficult to be accurate with. That's just inherent with the size. If performance is what you want go with a compact.
I got it as a future CCL gun, it and the M&P shield were what /k/ said was best (as well as other likely uniformed parties), and since the LC9 looks cooler to me, its what I went with. Performance wasn't really at the top of my list as much as being able to comfortably carry it was. So is the "jumping out of my hand" thing just something I'll have to deal with, regardless of what meme hold I use?

This pistol range is a lot closer than the nearest rifle range though, and cheaper too, so I'll probably get another pistol in a few months just for target shooting. Not a clue what that'll be.
>>
Shoot it.
Shoot it some more.
Keep shooting it until these things go away.
>>
>>29348540
Yeah you aren't holding it wrong it's just too small.
Obviously as long as you have to use it you just gotta compensate, trim nails, move thumb, etc.

only real solution is pistol large enough to fill your hand though. For me that one is a little small, and it sounds like for you too.
>>
>>29348894
>So is the "jumping out of my hand" thing just something I'll have to deal with, regardless of what meme hold I use?
This will diminish with experience, but overall yes all carry guns are snappy little shits. Comes with the territory.
>>
File: Pistol-shooting-chart.jpg (27 KB, 400x475) Image search: [Google]
Pistol-shooting-chart.jpg
27 KB, 400x475
>>29348540
small guns are harder to shoot. more recoil and easier to shake unintentionally.

what helped me was to relax and mentally take the shot without pulling the trigger if that makes sense, I saw myself flinching and was able to practice not flinching. dry firing helps a lot too. you should be able to dry fire without the sights moving at all.
>>
>>29348894
M&P Shield 9 is loved by poorfags who won't pay for night sights

Buy the G43
>>
how the fuck are you holding it, op? I just tried to hold my p64 and my beretta in a manner in which you could possibly scratch your thumb, and I'm just not understanding it.
>>
>>29351379
ive shot both and i like the shield. that being said i wish i had gotten the wealther ccp now.
>>
>>29348894
>>29348955
My LCP is a lot smaller than the LC9 and doesn't try to jump out of my hands. How big are your hands? First figure out how to hold it properly then reevaluate.
It'd be better if you could learn fundamentals on a full size pistol, but it shouldn't be a road-block.
Youtube should have some tutorials on pistol shooting. Make sure you're watching someone who knows what they're talking about, I.E. they start their video by introducing themselves as having won x y and z practical pistol shooting competitions or last name is Miculek etc.
>>
>>29351413
Probably pulling trigger with middle of finger instead of tip.
>>
I own an LC9S, am relatively a novice in handguns but I've shot around a dozen.

LC9S is just easy mode when it comes to range time, fucking consistently hits where I point it every time, at 10 yards.

You're fucking your entire grip up though from what I can tell. Trim your nails and watch some instructional videos.

I'm too lazy to post a full list of shit you need to make sure you're doing in order to fix your major malfunctions.
>>
learning to shoot on a tiny 9mm is terrible because you will flinch. buy a full sized and practice or just force yourself to follow through on the trigger without flinching
>>
>>29348540
>buying a CC handgun first

A lot of people do this, many of my friends and family included and it's totally fine, but you're just making it harder on yourself. The features that make a pistol easier to carry, also make it harder to shoot.

small frame
>hard to grip
>short sight radius

lightweight
>snappy recoil

Try to figure out a grip that's best for you and fight the flinch as much as possible. Yeah, it's startling when the tiny gun goes bang, but take your time and squeeze the trigger until it breaks, don't break it yourself until you're used to the recoil.

As for the slide locking, just be conscious of where your hands are in relation to the slide stop.

If you continue to struggle, consider getting a bigger for HD and practice with that.
>>
>>29348540
I bring 300 rounds for pistol training, and a couple hundred for rifles on a standard range day. I haven't cleaned my USP in 3500 rounds.
>>
>>29348540
>>consistently shot too low
This is a common symptom of flinching. Get some snap caps and have a friend load your magazines, hiding one snap cap in each magazine randomly.
>>carved up my thumb with the nail on my trigger finger.
Trim your nails. Not much else you can do.
>>pistol felt like it was going to jump out of my hand every shot
Normal for a gun that size and weight. Hold it tighter and it will jump less. Get a firm grip with your strong hand and squeeze around your strong hand with your off-hand, very tightly.
>>sometimes the slide locked back with rounds still in the mag (Winchester Train and Federal 124gr)
Probably, your thumb was pushing up on the slide catch lever. I don't own one of these guns, but I have heard about this issue.
>Obviously I'm holding it wrong, so where do I put my hands?
Search Google or Youtube for pistol shooting basics. You'll get a lot better help there than I can give you.
>Also, how thoroughly should I be cleaning it,
Guns function best when they are well maintained. Modern handguns can typically go for many hundreds or thousands of rounds without cleaning - depending on the design - but shooting the gun without proper lubrication, or with any grit where it shouldn't be, can cause malfunctions or even premature wear to the gun.
>and how many rounds do you usually take with you? I blew through 150 but it didn't feel like it was enough, there was some paper left still.
As many as you like.
>>
Lc-9 is shit, new model is ight. Fixed trigger pull and most bad things

Inb4 muh glock
Inb4 45 muh superior round
>>
>>29357638
What a low quality post.
>>
>>29348540
I've only got about 2000 rounds through my full size handgun, and I'm getting alright with it at 35yds, but I'd be terrible with the LC9, as it's got a mile long trigger pull, and is fairly tough to aim.
To correct the slide biting you, just keep your fingers on the frame, and try to get the palm of your hand as high up on the grip as you can.
Getting a high grip will allow you to reduce the snap you feel, while making it easier to control recoil as you are reducing the vertical distance between the bore and your grip, putting more recoil into your arm/stance rather than into your wrists.
Getting it just right takes time, and with 150 rounds you're just learning how you're shooting is starting, and corrections should be attempted every time you shoot.
>>29349529
Use this, it helped me a lot.
>>
>>29348540
The LC9 is just a bigger LCP, and the LCP is shit so that means the LC9 is shit. It feels & shoots cheap because it is.

Besides, its too small for a 9mm, esp if you're moving from nothing but 22lr. A small 9 is gonna feel like a little bomb in your hand in comparison.

Should've went with the in between caliber of 380. A larger one like a Glock 42 or Sig p238 is the tops IMO. They work, concealable & are easy shooters. That's all you can ask for.
>>
>not being a military qualified marksmen
>>
Pic related, my thumb. I played around with my lc9 to see how I did this, what happened is my right hand was coming unseated (best term I can think of) from my left hand, and my index finger smacked against my knuckle a few times.

>>29358904
But anon, 380 bounces off denim, and is dissolved when mixed with high quantities of melanin.
>>
File: 20160323_172633.jpg (51 KB, 557x393) Image search: [Google]
20160323_172633.jpg
51 KB, 557x393
>>29359204
fug
>>
File: targets.jpg (2 MB, 3006x4009) Image search: [Google]
targets.jpg
2 MB, 3006x4009
Here's my targets, there's about 100 rounds or so on these. The rest of them went into some of those orange trickshot targets, the psuedo-steel plate things, I dont know what they're called.
Also there was one hangfire and a dud with the federal's.
>>
what range are you shooting at? it's a CC gun so you shouldn't shoot past 10 yards really
>>
>>29359595
ah, yeah should have mentioned that.
I was shooting at about 5 yards.
>>
>>29359578
You're flinching and anticipating the recoil, pulling the muzzle down

Press the trigger straight back and let the gun surprise you going off
>>
>>29348618
>I try to bring at least 300 rounds of 9mm for a few hours on the range.
300 rounds of 9mm gets me through just over an hour of rangetime. Does your range have slow fire rules?
>Spend 3 hours at the range
>Slow shoot various rifles at 100yd
>get nice groups
>at least 100rd in 30min (The more semis I bring the more I shoot)
>Bust out WASR and have fun shitting on steel targets
>300 rounds gone in another hour
>Meander to the pistol range and spend the remaining hour going from 5-20yd slow and fast. Peppering ebil mugger targets with 9mm & 380ACP
>200-300 rounds gone.
>Rifles are finally cool to the touch
>Spend rest of afternoon drinking, cleaning funz and watching action flicks.
>>
>>29351628
>>My LCP is a lot smaller than the LC9 and doesn't try to jump out of my hands.
>>My LCP is a lot smaller
>>My LCP

A .380 vs a 9mm
I can see why it's not trying to jump from your hands
>>
>>29359204
>380 bounces off of denim

LOL.

Care to test this theory? What's your area code?
>>
>>29359578
If that's 10-15 yards, you're doing fine. That's more than accurate enough for an inexperienced handgun shooter. You really should see about getting a compact or fullsize handgun to practice with, the subcompacts are much harder to shoot accurately as well as having much worse recoil.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.