[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the fucking point on using F-4 phantoms as objetives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8
File: retarded.jpg (46 KB, 550x375) Image search: [Google]
retarded.jpg
46 KB, 550x375
What's the fucking point on using F-4 phantoms as objetives?

Couldnt they just use old trucks and sell the F-4 to a gallery for some million dollars?
>>
seriously this is too retared to be real

>using an historic plane as if it was a 1985's broken car in a gypsy garage
>>
>>27523568
Look up the rationale behind "Monkey Model" export sales.
>>
>>27523568
There were thousands of F-4s made. They are not special, and there are a ton of them on display. There are export rules in place by the developer, aka, the USA, that says the plane is either destroyed, or returned to the US, where it will be destroyed. Once a plane is harvested for parts its a shell. A shell that likely has metal fatigue and structural damage. So you shoot it or blow it the fuck up.

It desensitizes pilots, drivers, and infantry who would otherwise hesitate at killing a beautiful machine as gifted to the humanity by the omnessiah. It is a necessary cruelty should we ever face one of our own in heretical combat.
>>
>>27525532
I wonder if you can get a shot up shell. Legally it's no longer a plane as its demilled and is basically scrap metal. Hell I would just love on in my back yard as a lawn implement.

I know a few military vehicle collectors who got pattons and bulldogs shot the fuck up from target ranges.
>>
Recycling is natures way.
>>
File: 1444278166029.png (50 KB, 209x201) Image search: [Google]
1444278166029.png
50 KB, 209x201
>>27523568
>actually thinking of military equipment as some sort of irreplaceable artifact rather than the cheap, mass-produced garbage it really is
>>
File: 20150612_105218.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150612_105218.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>27526432
Actually that's how a bunch of museums get their planes.

At the MAPS museum in Ohio, they've got an old F-105B that was used for training repair crews, so they're in the process of patching it up and repainting it.

And at the Martin Museum in Maryland, they got two B-57As from the Army. One wasn't in bad shape, but the other was used as target, so it's just sitting around until they can find someone willing to trade it for something they don't have.
>>
>>27523568
>Runs into the middle of a desert, kicks the plane and runs away.
>>
>>27527195
The nimitz museum got one of it's Japanese tanks that way. It's completely shot to shit
>>
File: 20150612_105230.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150612_105230.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>27527342
Yeah it seems to be pretty common actually. Problem is that it tends to fuck over the museum in the long run. The Air Force doesn't like it when people get "their" planes from anyone but them, and most planes you see at smaller museums come from Army bases that were either using them as targets or decided to just throw them in a field one day and let them rot.
>>
File: Rafale eater.jpg (158 KB, 1250x513) Image search: [Google]
Rafale eater.jpg
158 KB, 1250x513
>>
File: high drag bomb.gif (2 MB, 330x248) Image search: [Google]
high drag bomb.gif
2 MB, 330x248
>>27523568
When you're viewing practice targets from a targeting pod at altitude it is nice to see a realistic target. Plus those phantoms or whatever they have parked in the desert are all used up. The other day I put a Mk-76 right through one.
>>
>>27523568
OP I feel you. They're also using glorious CUCVs as target practice for the A10s. Though, if they are not to be sold off, I can't imagine a more beautiful end.
>>
>>27523568

I think I understand why they didn't put guns on the early Phantoms now.
>>
In Spain we put F4 on roundabouts
>>
nÂș. 2
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.