[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, can one of you fuckers give me a non bullshit answer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: AFD-081120-041.gif (18 KB, 1500x1337) Image search: [Google]
AFD-081120-041.gif
18 KB, 1500x1337
Hey /k/, can one of you fuckers give me a non bullshit answer on how to become an officer United States military? I've talked to an Air Force recruiter and he's telling me to enlist, and because I don't have anyone in the family who enlisted I'm relying on you guys to give me a less biased answer. Basically:
>Which branch would you recommend attempting to be an officer for?
>What's the best path to become an officer right out of high school? (I'm 18, birthday was last December)
>Is it ridiculously hard?
>Is it better to just enlist or to try and become an officer through college stuff?
>I'm a pretty mediocre guy, as long as I work hard would I be fine, or do you need to be some hyper intelligent person with connections?
>In my eyes being an officer is like management or a general leadership position. Am I retarded? If so, what is it like?

I know nothing about the military, so sorry if some of the questions are stupid. Answers are very appreciated.
>>
>>29345498
This Indonesian basket weaver forum is not famed for the large number of officers contributing baskets. Grunts are more common.

From my time on meeting US officers it appeared that they first get a degree from a university, preferably a university that has close ties with the military. And then proceed to officer training from there.

This system is also used in some European countries, some recruit cannon fodder from the streets, some times from prison, while officers are recruited from universities through special officer training courses that also pay the student.
>>
/k/ despises the military and especially the Air Force AND officers.

By asking how to be an Air Force officer you've effectively activated so many of /k/'s autistic triggers at once I seriously wonder if this can't be a highly effective troll.

Either way, I recommend deleting thread and leaving before the MEPS rejects flood in to start calling you a welfare whore.
>>
>>29345498
You would have had to go to West Point if you wanted to be an officer right out of highschool, idiot. But, idiot, if you (idiot) want to be an officer, you, idiot, would have to get a bachelors degree (thats 4 years in college, idiot) and then go to officer training school, idiot.

Also, idiot, you should go to a college that has Air Force ROTC, if you (idiot) want to join the Air Force.
>>
>>29345552
To my knowledge this friendly forum started to discuss Latvian Reality T.V., but I'll keep your advice in mind, thank you.
>>29345574
I'm also looking at other branches. Specifically the navy. Additionally, I'll try my best to deal with the mean words.
>>29345498
Thanks friend. Any degrees you would recommend?
>>
>>29345619
last one meant for
>>29345604
silly me
>>
>>29345629
Depends on what you want to do, idiot. You can literally go to "airforce.chair" and see all the jobs they offer for officers. I think the only real combat role for Air Force officers would be a CRO.
>>
>>29345668
Logistics and intelligence are pretty cool, but I don't think going with a degree like Business Administration would be the right choice because it's so common. Do you know how to find out what degrees are in demand for the military?
>>
>>29345619
>To my knowledge this friendly forum started to discuss Latvian Reality T.V.
Yes, it is getting rather painful at times.

Back to OP >>29345498
>Which branch would you recommend attempting to be an officer for?
You have to decide on what culture you will fit in. Officially there is one military culture. That is rubbish. Each branch is different and there are many units that differ even more. Where I served we had a lot of slack and half of us were, uh, peculiar. And that included the officers.

So if massive steroid abuse is your thing I'd look up the infantry. If you like far out thinking that would put this Latvian reality show society to shame, there have been some cool stuff going on in Space Command:
spacesolarpower.wordpress.com/
These guys were thinking big thoughts and allowed anyone on the net to take part in the discussion, and that was 10 years ago.
>>
>>29345498
If you want to become an officer, the easiest/fastest way is to go to college and do ROTC while in.

I'm going to college for mechanical engineering, and am going to commission as a developmental engineer in the Air Force. Doing AFROTC.
>>
>>29345764
Mind if you tell me how your united was peculiar and how that reflected your branch? I thought there were different cultures across branches, but I didn't think there were different cultures across units. Pretty interesting
>>29345777
What's been your experience with ROTC so far? Are you going to a 'mid ranged' school or a super good one? How competitive is ROTC where you are?
>nice trips
>>
>>29345838
>Mind if you tell me how your united was peculiar and how that reflected your branch?
Not sure what I can tell, mostly because these are all tall tales few would believe.

OK, one example: in this branch we didn't have these funny little explosive charges with trip lines to warn of impending attack. We though that was unfair. So we made our own. Except from that someone either didn't know the explosive yield or mixed up grams with kilograms. So next exercise when the first infantry unit approaching thought they would easily bag a bunch of bespectacled autists they actually set of a rather adequate explosion. Or fireball.

In another episode the infantry unit was incapacitated using haha not telling since in hindsight it was absolutely insane and I am not giving you guys any ideas.

And the officers supported us to the point the chief got quite the bucked of abuse from the officers running the exercise while wearing a Cheshire cat grade grin of someone knowing he had won. While tanking much of the exercise.
>>
>>29345838
Basically every week you have to go to the main school where the ROTC detachment is and do PT and classes for leadership and things.

As long as you maintain a good GPA you're able to get into ROTC. If you want to get a scholarship, it's more selective as they have to pick from a pool of students around the country and choose who to dole out money for scholarships to.
>>
>>29345498
He is a recruiter. Of course he is going to sell you enlistment and tell you to just join now and go to OTS later. All he cares about is getting people to join, although air force usually doesn't have any shortage of people wanting to, from what i hear.

why do you want to be an officer? I mean yeah, money and shit, but most of them seem to be the true believer motivated type. Is that what you really want?
>>
>Bothering to reply to someone who wants to be an officer but doesn't post it in the designated thread for military enlistment

2/10 washout material
>>
>>29346286
>true believer
Having trouble with what you mean by that.

I'm looking to do 10 years in the military, and starting as an officer seems like one of the better places one can start.

>>29346300
Didn't see it, thanks for pointing that out, will use it.
>>
>>29346300
The way I knew "enlisted" it did not mean become an officer. Regional variations or overeager outwasher?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.