[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you guys be willing to discuss LARP weapons and strategies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: event_269646302.jpg (22 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
event_269646302.jpg
22 KB, 360x240
Would you guys be willing to discuss LARP weapons and strategies?

How well would Greek or Roman shield wall technique work?

Would a ridiculous sword be just as good or better than a spear or a bilhook?

What would you take into battle?
>>
>>29267010
I'd take a bunch of tennis balls into battle because I could cast lightning bolts and kill everyone.

LARP is shit and so is this thread.
>>
File: images-ACMS4_2_l.jpg (477 KB, 2783x1412) Image search: [Google]
images-ACMS4_2_l.jpg
477 KB, 2783x1412
>>29267010
I don't know anything about the fake stuff, I'm just used to actual metal weapons, so I don't know if that'll make any difference.

Generally speaking, a billhook's going to serve you better if you've got a lot more guys with billhooks with you in an array. One guy traps an enemy's spear or bill with his, and then one of the guys next to him finishes off the trapped guy. I'd recommend this sword, which is fucking brutal. One side is meant to be sharpened, and you're mostly going to hamstring some stupid fucker and leave him on the floor to bleed out.

A shieldwall's okay if everyone works together and knows exactly what they're doing. If not, it's going to be a disorganised scrum which ends up in someone smashing themselves in the face with their own shield. I've seen it happen before, it's hilarious.
>>
>>29267021
>I don't know anything about what I'm saying: The Post!
>>
>>29267030
Provided i could even get the people required to make a decent shield wall i definitely hoped to practice a bit before going into battle.

Something like that would be a good onehanded sidearms along with some boot daggers
>>
File: LARP1.jpg (430 KB, 1134x952) Image search: [Google]
LARP1.jpg
430 KB, 1134x952
>>29267055
If you like pretend fighting with foam weapons with your friends, more power to you. Doesn't stop it from being faggy.

If you're talking reenactment or medieval tournament fighting (BotN style), that's one thing. LARP is another thing entirely.
>>
>>29267010
Was playing around in the SCA a few years ago and used Roman themed stuff. The shield wall bit is a necessary strategy for the bigger battles but your mostly just a wall since it'll be polearm guys doing all the killing bits. Some of the guys ran around with rubber bill hook heads which I found a bitch to deal with since they hook my shield than slam me in the face which was certainly neat.
>>
File: 1458051194349.jpg (196 KB, 880x940) Image search: [Google]
1458051194349.jpg
196 KB, 880x940
>>29267200
>>
>>29267030
that doesn't look like a longsword anon
>>
>>29267010
>>29267057
Shield wall is based around having fought as a unit for your entire lifetime, knowing the people next to you; knowing Anon broke his left arm as a kid and he can't block as effectively so you need to stick him in the back row. Back in the ages of massive armies squaring off, it's more important to have higher-level tactics at work, hence Generals and dedicated strategists. In LARP, I imagine that you'll be with a bunch (smaller than an army) of fat nerds who don't spend the winter doing back-breaking labor in between campaigns. Thusly, a shield wall is a bad idea. Y'alls gonn get fuckt up, basically. Unless you're confident in your physical strength as cohesive unit (e.g. taking a full on infantryman charge as I doubt you'll be using Horses or dogs of war), use a tactic that relies on intelligence instead. Perhaps emplacements or fortifications for your fat friends. Skirmishers and scouts for the lanky ones. Only work on small unit tactics if you're commanding a group of strong warriors. You're probably not. Basically, if you can, know the field of battle. Your troops will do as they see fit unless they're a professional army, anyways.
>>
>>29267010
no fuck off neckbeard
>>
>>29267303
Long story short, know your enemy, know the field, and know your troops. In that order.

Step 1 who are we fighting? Do they have horses.? Are they heavily armored or are they light on their feet? How many are there?

Step two where are we fighting? Mountains? Hillocks? The beach? Can you retreat and or ambush?

Step 3 are we prepared for the prior steps? Do we have the advantage of range or are we charging? Are we attacking a fortified area? Do we have the proper tools? What kind of formation would be most effective considering enemy composition and field of battle?
Etc.

Protip: use biological warfare, make them laxative brownies as a gesture of 'kindness'
>>
>>29267303
You're overthinking LARP combat. A shield wall boils down to putting all the guys with boards in the front and telling them to not get hit. Most of the time there's no cavalry and archers are much less common since bows and crossbows aren't the most fun to play with. Occasionally you'll have "artillery," but again, uncommon.
>>
How can you even call it LARP if you're just massing up a bunch of dudes on a field to whack each other with foam weapons? The larps i've been at have been character oriented where you basically run around in the woods and interact with other characters, have some kind of mission that you try to accomplish during that weekend, if you get killed you get a new character with a new mission. Occasionally a bunch of orcs or goblins would band together to stage a raid against a larger settlement but large scale fighting was not the main focus. It's mostly just fighting bandits, raiders or duels in smaller clashes if you bump into hostile characters.

If you want to do actual historic fighting there are sports for that and historical reenactments with way better methods and scenarios.
>>
>>29267408
Depending on what your attending, most LARPs have non-combat stuff which is where most of the RPing part of LARPing comes from since you usually have some persona or another and something to do. I quit since the there was a bit too much of the RPing and not enough LA personally.
>>
>>29267356
>use biological warfare
This anon gets it
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.