[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MA fag looking to get into shooting thankfully I found out my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: 1454902805988.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
1454902805988.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
MA fag looking to get into shooting
thankfully I found out my area is one of the "nicer" ones getting ccw permits and the like isn't all that hard., So what are my options for guns? Any residents here want to name drop some brands, LGSs and things to keep an eye out for?
pic related, Ive settled on a plain .38 as my first, Ill just be plinking with it and ive found them for good prices. Good idea/bad idea?
>>
>>29259114
Well, What area? Northern mass? The cape? Western mass? What?
You're on mostly smith and wesson and ruger for your revolvers, or go a bit cheaper for a charter arms one.
>>
>>29259114
well, depending on what part of our shit state makes a difference.

near me my preferred LGS is Northeast Trading Post.

most guns will honestly probably be cheaper to buy online and pay the shipping and ffl transfer fees, but the larger manufacturers tend to be similar priced here as elsewhere..

.38spl is a nice round, I have a snub nose in it, but they grip a bit strange due to the small frame. go to some places near you and finger fuck the guns, see if you can find a range that'll rent to non memebers (but you'll need your ltc for that)

Mass Firearms probably has the best class for relatively cheap and it's only 4 hours long. it'll take about a month to six weeks after filing all the paperwork before your license shows up. within the next two weeks your gun pin will also show up (you can't buy a gun without it)
>>
>>29259181
Guess it does depend on the part of our shit state. I got my pin the same day as my license and bought a 1911 the next day up in pelham
>I fucking love these gun stores right along the border in NH
>>
>>29259160
im close to the cape
>>
>>29259230
lol gg commie
>>
>>29259205
Western, MA is the only redeeming part of this hellhole.

OP, you do have a decent selection of Guns to choose from in this possible. The approved firearms roster is large. Dan Wesson was a Monson, MA company a d Colt is sout of the border. So you can occasionally find those. 75% of the guns you'll find will be S&Ws, Rugers and Savages, it's not as good selection as a free state, but leagues better than NY, CA, NJ and MD.
>>
>>29259243
This, who /413/ here
>>
>>29259114
yeah, here's a good tip: move to neighboring new hampshire
>>
>>29259250
Ayyyy lmao

Norwottuck Fish and Game is muh range.
>15$ a year dues
>>
>>29259257
this or at least >>29259243
the further west you go the better things get
>>
>>29259286
Just stay out of Amherst, and only venture into Northampton for the god tier dining. Or the link Cal sex/bdsm shop.
>>
>>29259243
>leagues better than CA
>has to take a 'test' and hours of classes, just to get a basic permit to buy a revolver in MA
>if want a "high capacity" weapon with 10 round magazine, has to take above classes for more hours, plus meet with police chief, plus do shooting test on revolver at police shooting range in order to determine you can own a glock.
>has to have permit available at all times with gun to show the gestapo your papers which give you the temporary privilege of ownership

yeah, no buddy. you guys are THE shit tier state when it comes to gun ownership
>>
>>29259316
not how I had to go it
>go to a cops house
>he teaches gun safety and permit classes at $100 a head
>expensive yes, but so is everything in this state
>gives us a pretty well rounded overview of different pistols, shotguns, ammo types how they work
>openly shits on our laws, saw we give too much rights to the scumbags and tells us how to more or less get away with shooting somebody in self defense
>after that we have cake

dude was pretty chill, mostly just talked shop for the whole time and how he wants to move to Maine. I wouldn't be surprised if hes on /k/
>>
>>29259114
.357 mag is slightly better and can shoot .38 spl as well
>>
File: Dale Gun Ownership.jpg (16 KB, 274x276) Image search: [Google]
Dale Gun Ownership.jpg
16 KB, 274x276
>>29259114

A double action revolver firing .38 is very easy to use and straight forward with manageable recoil.

A few suggestions.....

1: If you're getting a full size revolver (not a snub) then get a .357 Magnum. You can fire .38 special out of a .357 magnum to learn to shoot and for cheaper target practice; but you'll also be able to chamber a more powerful round if you want.

2: Get a good brand, Smith and Wesson, Colt, or Ruger are all safe bets.
>>
>>29259181
the one in attleboro? you know that piece of shit ratted out bass pro to the AG when they first opened and were selling 'off-list' guns? fuck that rat piece of shit. if it's the one in peabody(similar name) then nevermind.
>>
>>29259362
well i think you're probably smart enough to realize that's not the general experience of most people in the state. and that said, you still had to pay money for bullshit classes and go through the hassles of filling out and dropping off paperwork just for a dumb permit. also, you have some bullshit requirement about being a paid member of a shooting range, so minus some more money for that absurdity
>>
>>29259316
Yeah, next time don't go to a shitty instructor and do your research.please

My class was a 4 hour deal at the S&W range for under 100$ a head. With lunch included, and the instructor bitched about the laws. Then I went to my station and shot the shit with the Sgt about guns while he processed my permit.

You don't need extra classes for the unrestricted license. You just need to not live in a shithole town.
>>
>>29259114
Hey man, if you are set on a .38, shell out a bit more to get a .357 magnum instead. that way, you can use both .38sp for training and plinking, and .357 for defensive loads.
>>
>>29259316
>taking one safety course is hours of classes

there is no test, the LTC A is literally the same application, nobody ever applies for the lower class to the point that they debated removing class b recently

there is no shooting test, that's Rhode Island

meeting with the police chief depends on the town I guess, but generally speaking they have better shit to do.

the process for a majority of the state is
>take safety course
>provide copy of safety course with paperwork filled for LTC A
>get photo taken while you turn in said paperwork and fee for application process
>wait for license to arrive

every other state he listed is worse
>CA has no plans to test/review future guns for expanded roster (MA has year round testing/review)
>has current "smart gun" and "micro stamping" laws in state senate currently
>bullet button
>also is may issue state making them subject to same potentially gay police chief

we're all shit tier, but MA is the turd floating at the top of this port-o-potty
>>
>>29259427
This, SP101s and GP100s can be had for under 500$ in great condition.
>>
>>29259418
Oh trust me I know, ive heard some serious BS happening that makes me thankful for my guy being so cool. A good rule of thumb is to get away from the cities, even in gun friendly states, that's where the grabbers associate. Ii want to move out of MA but ive got work and family here so im stuck for now. Could be worse, could be NYC
>>
>>29259420
lol. i live in california. my class cost me 50 cents in gasoline, was me driving to the gunstore, picking out the gun i wanted, paying with credit card, and having to wait 10 days like a cuck before driving back to pick it up.
>>
hey OP, if you're in SE MA check out shooting supply in westport, first defense in uxbridge, outback arms in plympton, outdoor shop in yarmouth, gt arms in wareham, bobs up in webster to name a few. if you're looking for a range check out the new bedford city range on woodcock rd it's like $60 a year for non residents but the hours kind of suck. you can get any gun you want with some effort, for my first gun i wouldn't do a revolver but that's me.
>>
>>29259416
well shit, I didn't know that
>>
>>29259427
ive been looking at those
>700 dollars for a gp100
>300 for a model 10
I just want to eat
>>
>>29259418
there is no range member requirement, at least not at the state level
>>
>>29259459
ted the rat is his nickname, there's a shooped pic somewhere i'll try and find it.
>>
>>29259481
damn, if I had known that I would have stopped going there a while ago
>>
>>29259447
>>29259441

i know because i lived in boston for 2 years. there was a shooting test that was required for LTC A (non carry stipulation of course), you had to drive to the boston police firing range on moon island in the boston harbor. you had to interview with boston police chief. you had to pay for the safety class. you had to pay for a years worth of range membership. you had to find "sponsor" that could write a letter of recommendation on your behalf. basically after all was said and done, the costs just required for procuring the permit was $500, and not including the days off work you had to take, for the multiple appointments with the police chief and shooting test
>>
>>29259114
If you're just plinking, grab a .22lr. Ammo's mad cheap. My first gun was a Taurus 94, a 9 chamber .22lr double action revolver. If you're looking to get a revolver.

If you're goin to plink and CC I would suggest what you've found
>>
>>29259489
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1677975

some details
>>
>>29259515
>basing the whole state off of Boston

Boston is literally the hardest place in the state to get your license and all that shit has been beaten in court multiple times because the only legal requirements by the state are the safety course and passing the background check. They just keep doing it because most people don't have the time/money or want to put in the time/money to get the license or challenge it in court

moral: don't live in Boston
>>
>>29259562
i think 'assault weapons' are banned by name in boston as well, to own/store etc
>>
>>29259521
what about the .22lr being unobtanioum meme?
>>
>>29259515
>>29259562
the state is shall issue though isnt it? My cousin lives in MA and cc's in Boston regularly but doesn't live there
>>
>>29259525
well, looks like I'm never going back there

shit, idk where the next closest ffl is besides Bass Pro
>>
>>29259587
they are. boston has its own city ban on ak/ar type rifles. but the police chief told me it hasnt ever been enforced or prosecuted, they are only concerned about people having the proper license to own and buy. no carry is granted unless you are a judge or rich lawyer or mayor
>>
>>29259593
cabelas almost always has it in stock at non rape prices.
>>
>>29259605
the state is 'shall issue' for their own contrived basic permit requirement just to buy and own a gun. there is no 'shall issue' for carry permits. the state law leaves it up to the chief of police of the relevant town to decide carry, so it depends where you live
>>
>>29259605
I think it's technically shall issue but with heavy input from local authorities, so they will try to bump you down or deny you in certain towns but if they don't have an actual reason it'll get overturned in court

basically some commies try to operate this state licensing as may issue banking on people not putting in the time/effort to fight them on it
>>
File: Boston-Amber-License-Plate-jpg.jpg (171 KB, 1815x919) Image search: [Google]
Boston-Amber-License-Plate-jpg.jpg
171 KB, 1815x919
>>29259638
cept MA bros cant buy ammo online.

meeting with police chiefs, paying for safety classes, just to get a permit to buy a single shot 22lr
>the spirit of america
>>
>>29259114
Any south shore MAfags got anything to say about The Gunrunner in Middleboro?
>>
>>29259676
sure they can, but anyone who has a source that will ship to MA guards it with his life because the number of companies who will ship here are getting smaller all the time, i know they're trying to get the cabelas in berlin to smarten up with their ship to store pilcies
>>
>>29259638
ill give them a look then, thanks
how about colt revolvers? I wouldn't mind getting an old police positive of official police
>>
>>29259686
they sell certain things that technically aren't illegal but our draconian ag doesn't like
>>
>>29259619
so looks like Gartman is closest, which is cool because they have a bunch of Nazi paraphernalia everywhere, but isn't quite as cool because the old guy that used to run it was literally a Nazi who fought for the Germans in WWII...

whatever, I'll support a Nazi over a snitch
>>
>>29260045
Gartman is pretty good from what I hear
>>
>>29260285
they actually have a gunsmith in store so they can do basically anything you want, but they used to only be open Tuesday/Thursday/Jewish Holidays
>>
>>29260317
I heard one of the dudes from 1776 in Walpole is there now going to check it out soon
>>
if online ammo sales is legal to MA but most retailers wont because they are afraid from the pressure of the liberal AG, do people in MA just buy ammo from private sales on forums like ar15.com and such? if you do, what is the premium like? are prices jacked up for you guys or can you find competitive prices from bro tier /kommandos
>>
>>29260637
most guys i know just head up to NH and buy a few cases of whatever, or they have a friend out of state who will accept shipments for them. myself i reload and take a few trips to N H a year to stock up on what i don't make, with a few trips to cabelas for 22.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.