[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k/ thing of TiN(Titanium nitride) bolt carriers? Are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: TiNNiBBCG556.jpg (65 KB, 450x365) Image search: [Google]
TiNNiBBCG556.jpg
65 KB, 450x365
What does /k/ thing of TiN(Titanium nitride) bolt carriers?
Are they worth it?
I know a standard BCG will work just as well, but thoughts?
>>
>>29225431

From a TiN coatings on tools .pdf
>TiN coating will be most effective in reducing flank wear and, thus increasing tool life. In addition, the low frictional and anti-weld characteristics of titanium nitride, it can be utilized to allow higher speeds and feeds thus providing increased productivity.

Durability. And aesthetically it's a pleasant hue with black imo. Purists don't like it, and it's benefits aren't shattering, you're paying extra for an extra hard finish that looks nice.
>>
Slightly more resistant but basics cheap "mil-spec" carrier go on trucking for tens of thousands of rounds anyway.
>Do you want to be extra Gucci?
Go for it.
>>
File: Infantry OSUT 88.jpg (117 KB, 979x795) Image search: [Google]
Infantry OSUT 88.jpg
117 KB, 979x795
>>29225431
I've used regular bolts since 1988 and haven't had a problem. Tens of thousands of rounds sent down range. Zero broken bolts or bolt carriers.

Here's a pic of me with my very first B and BC:
>>
Why not color case harden it, along with other internals that receive friction?

It'll also reduce wear and it'll be cheaper and look cooler.

Plus you can actually do it yourself.
>>
It's supposed to also help with friction even more so than nickle boron? thoughts?
>>
>>29225597
http//www.crypticcoatings.combolt-carrier-group-coatings/

Thoughts?
>>
>>29225993
Were you experiencing these type of malfunctions prior to this snake oil sales pitch?
>>
>>29226014
No, I use standard BCG almost exclusively, I picked up a nickle boron BCG a while back and other than being easier to clean I haven't noticed a ton of change. But I was just wondering if they were worth it in regards to long term wear and tear. Like the fail Zero where they ran a test for the military with zero lube and not a single fail. I'm not to hard on my guns most of the time. But I'm looking to make a new ar to run through classes and training in my area and some of the classes we'll go through a thousand rounds easy. So i was looking for a in a worse case use and abuse scenario are they worth it.
>>
>>29225431
Is that from a drug lord's AR bought from the ATF?
>>
>>29226114
Unless you're fighting in Ardennes, the Battle of the Bulge or an extended cut-off in the Gobi, you will never need to insure yourself with extra precautions.

Our troops HAVE fought in those environments using regular GI weapons and succeeded.

This is just a bunch of hooey. Don't get suckered in.
>>
File: don-draper-shrug.jpg (66 KB, 848x477) Image search: [Google]
don-draper-shrug.jpg
66 KB, 848x477
>>29226001

What are you really looking for here? I mean the specs are there. TiN has it's gold hue, adding carbon you have have black coloring (TiCN, Titanium Carbo-Nitride) It's nice to have a good looking BCG, but honestly a barrel is gonna give in sooner than the BCG will. Either barrel or the upper receiver feed ramps.

Having hard coating like TiN will improve it's speed, durability and make the cleaning of components coated with TiN be like give it a sweep and be done, not a massage parlor session of intensively rubbing it like your old johnny.
>>
>>29226388
>NEED
>>
>>29226425
I'm not one of those people. Buy whatever the hell you desire. I'm merely advising on whether it is a smart purchase - it is not.
>>
>>29225795
>Why not color case harden it, along with other internals that receive friction?

>case hardening 9310 or 8620

>It'll also reduce wear and it'll be cheaper and look cooler.

>color case hardening
>cheap

>Plus you can actually do it yourself.

kek. I've seen maybe 4 people that DIY CCH that doesn't turn out like shit, and that was on low carbon steel that is actually intended to be case hardened.
>>
>>29225779
neato, I know you have more than a few hazing stories, since you lived through a time period where beating up smaller people and stuffing them in lockers was praised.
>>
>>29228082
Our one hazing was one of the biggest men in the platoon.

Who influenced you to believe we picked on small people?

In the Infantry, we have a job. If you are six foot ten or five foot three, you better fucking accomplish it. That's what we care about. Audey Murphy was 5'4" - got the Medal of Honor.
>>
>>29225431
Even better, get a Ti bcg and anodize it literally any color that isn't red.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.