[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magnifiers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: rda_vmx-3t_bl-t.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
rda_vmx-3t_bl-t.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
Is it worth buying an expensive magnifier? The prices range all over the place. All they are are just little monoculars with pic rails. Anyone have experience with a cheapo vs an expensive one?
>>
Magnifiers are shit, regardless of how much you pay.
>>
I have the exact magnifier in your OP and it was... Okay, I guess. I had it set up with an aimpoint PRO But I don't think it alligned perfectly with the RDS. It felt cheap like it would break if it ever got hit by something. The finish wasn't that great. I think you'd be better off with either getting just a dot sight or a magnified optic. Or maybe even a variable maginified optic. I got a Vortex Strike Eagle eventually and it seems decent enough. I also know it's tough because I dropped a couple nuggets on it by accident.

I wish I'd been able to find the Aimpoint magnifier because those look like they're alot more solid than the vortex one.
>>
>>29216925
care to elaborate?
>>
>>29216884
OP here. It just seems like if I was to get an Aimpoint or an EOtech, I would be paying for the brand name more than anything else.
>>
>>29216884
>>29217312
I have a Aimpoint pro and an Eotech magnifier on my AR.

I also have a Scar 17 with a Trijicon acog.

Obviously, 2 very different setups, but I find that the Trijicon is a bit clearer and 1 acog is way lighter than both a magnifier and a red dot.

Honestly, I feel that I should have just bought a acog for my AR in the first place.
>>
File: received_1704312439852659.jpg (55 KB, 960x559) Image search: [Google]
received_1704312439852659.jpg
55 KB, 960x559
>>29216940

Thats my setup as well. Works fucking fine. The Vortex is likenyou said not the sturdiest feeling butnits fucking fine. Just dont drop huge weight on the hinge when its flipped outwards.

What do you want
Anything with a hinge has a structural weak point.

Also VORTEX will fucking replace your broken optic for life.

Its good OP I recommend it unless you wanna drop 1.5k for an ACOG or 2k for an Elcan Spectre.
>>
>>29216884
Why when it is not even a scope?
>>
>>29217781
>Fellow Tar-21fag

mein neger.

Yeah Vortex has great warranty but ultimately I didn't think the magnifier gave me much benefit, much happier with my Strike Eagle.
>>
>>29216884
>Buy large monocular
>hire machinist to make mount from scope rings and some hardware
>it's functional
>>
>>29216925
correct
>>
>>29217312
No, you're paying for way more durability with the Aimpoint. The difference is if you want something you can trust your life to or just one to take plinking.
>>
Bump for thread.

I'm interested in a magnifier for my AR.

It has a red dot right now but I want 300yd capability. At the same time I want red dot both eyes open reflex capability for less than 50yds as well.
>>
>>29218017

Then get a magnifier.

Vortex is the cheapest Id buy for the quality.
You spend double that though on a EOtech migjt be sturdier never handled one
>>
File: IMAG1452.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1452.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
>>29218017
I have the vortex one in ops picture. Overall I recommend it. It works flawlessly with my Sparc 2 and I have reached out to 400+ with it. It's overall pretty good quality. I can take it off, put it back on and it'll hold zero just fine. My only issue is I can't have a buis on my rifle if I have the magnifier. See pic related.
>>
>>29217312
We use Aimpoints as the standard optic for our carbines (milfag, pretty much all weapons thata can have an aimpoint on them) and i've never seen one break, or even that the battery has run out on them. And you have to consider that we're talking a large amount of incredibly retarted people handling a large amounts of firearms and optics.
>>
>>29218420

Sweden may be a cucked country but AIMPOINT makes the best red dots.
>>
File: PB156597.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2400) Image search: [Google]
PB156597.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2400
>>29216884
I actually have the Vortex you posted there and I'm pretty happy with it. Eye relief is pretty short, so you gotta be almost nose to your charging handle, but I've never felt it was difficult to use. It works well for my purposes and if you're going to get one, I highly advise the Vortex. The flip to side mount it comes with is sturdy and it's nice to be able to get it out of the way.
>>
>>29218361
The only reason I didn't go with the sparc is because of BUIS. the PA Advanced Micro Red Dot is a little more compact and lets everything move forward enough to accommodate BUIS as you can see in >>29218913
>>
>>29218913
I really like this setup.
>>
I own an Aimpoint 3x magnifier and have spent some time comparing cheap and expensive glass, though admittedly I have never spent serious time with a cheap magnifier.

Generally, paying for high quality glass gets a buyer a greater range of adjustment and more repeatability of adjustment (moot points for a magnifier) but the extra investment also generally lends itself to far more strict quality control, higher quality materials, more well optimized and applied light transmission coatings on external and internal lenses, as well as a general increase in ruggedness.

I don't regret buying the magnifier I did, as the glass quality and light transmission are excellent, on par with any Leupold, Swarovski, or Nikon glass i've used in a scope within the same general price range.

One other important factor to consider is that the higher end magnifiers (Aimpoint, Eotech, Samson) tend to come with proprietary QD or flip to side systems which guarantee consistency when the tube is in its deployed position. That may sound like an unimportant thing but given that magnifiers generally have a small ocular lens and thus cast a relatively small focus of light (generally just a couple mm in diameter at proper focus length) on the shooter's pupil, being slightly out of position can lead to a disrupted sight picture. Note: this will not change the zero on the dot like it would on a magnified optic with a crosshair BUT it will slow you down as you readjust the optic or yourself into a more consistent index.

Is it worth it to buy an expensive magnifier? maybe? It depends if you're a snob about light transmission and glass clarity, mostly.
>>
>>29217781

The quality isnt fantastic... its perfectly usable but its no high dollar shit thats for sure.

>Also VORTEX will fucking replace your broken optic for life.

But yeah. They are awesome about this. My gf dropped my AR and broke the button part off of my Strike Fire red dot. I shipped it back and they shipped me a Strike Fire II because they no longer made the one i had.
>>
>>29216884
why do you want a fagnifier, are you not fag enough for wanting one in your ass?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.