[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what exactly are the merits of a striker fire vs a hammer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: fire.gif (3 KB, 299x279) Image search: [Google]
fire.gif
3 KB, 299x279
So what exactly are the merits of a striker fire vs a hammer fired?
In my limited knowledge it just seems like striker fired would be more simple and has less that could go wrong.

Is it harder to make the sears work for a striker than a hammer or something? Since there's less to grab on to?

Are there any striker fired semi-auto rifles? Every one I know of is hammer fired. Why is that?
>>
In pistols, strikers are mechanically simpler.

Most bolt action rifles are striker fired.

A couple semi-auto / full auto rifles like the VZ58 and the AS VAL / VSS rifles. But in rifles it's questionably simpler because the striker requires an additional guide rod. A semi auto bolt usually doesn't extend back to where the trigger group is. There's also something some people call a "linear hammer" which is exactly the same except with a separate firing pin, the linear hammer doesn't directly hit the primer.

Also ignore anyone who says the Glock is single action. It's double action, pulling the trigger pulls the striker back, but it's partially pre-cocked similar to putting a hammer on half-cock to make the trigger pull smoother.
>>
>>28454048
So can you decock a glock an be able to fire it like that?
Can you decock a glock at all?

What are some "linear hammer" guns?
>>
File: P1012930.jpg (421 KB, 1008x568) Image search: [Google]
P1012930.jpg
421 KB, 1008x568
>>28454223
Type 97 for sure plus I think one of the VSS or AS Val family rifles uses linear hammer(possibly the vikhr).

Picture is type 97 bolt and linear hammer in a fired position. Above is guide rail and hammer spring.
>>
>>28454223
No you can't decock a Glock, it stills needs the partial pre-set to work

IIRC the early AS VAL / VSS were striker and the later versions switched to linear hammer
>>
>>28454223
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/27/qbz-95-bullpups-action-works/

Heres an article on it. Theres a xray of the QBZ-95 which shares a similar action.
>>
>>28454398
noice, thanks
>>
>>28454376
other anon here,
so its technically a DAO?
I had a friend saying his was DA/SA and called bullshit, but I don't have one myself
>>
>>28454560
a glocks closer to a single action only than a dao

if it was a dao pulling the trigger again would result in a click rather than not being able to pull it back at all
>>
>>28454604
Ok, That's what I originally thought because of the consistent trigger pull (and being a striker), I was just wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass when telling him it was definitely not a DA/SA
>>
a glock would be best described as an incomplete single action
on something like a 1911 which is a single action racking the slide cocks the hammer
pulling the trigger releases the sear its only 1 action

with a glock racking the slide brings the gun to say 90% cocked
pulling the trigger does the other 10% then releases the striker
the trigger performs 2 actions but this is not the same thing as double action

its not double action cause it cant recock itself just by pulling the trigger
>>
>>28454048
>Also ignore anyone who says the Glock is single action. It's double action, pulling the trigger pulls the striker back,
That's why if you get a light primer strike all you have to do is pull the trigger again, right?
>>
>>28454223
no yo can't, well, only if you hold the slide open by hand a little, the stronger recoil spring in the guide rod is what holds the striker at partial cock, in some comp guns they have to go with lighter striker springs because their very low power recoil springs that let the gun work with mouse-fart handloads won't keep the slide closed otherwise
>>
>>28454956
kel tec is double action only and doesn't allow multiple trigger pulls without reset.

the correct answer is that it's not double action though, it's striker fired. which is a type of action. like double or single action.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.