[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/, new gun buyer here looking to buy my first handgun before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 400x250
Hi /k/, new gun buyer here looking to buy my first handgun before Obama makes it lengthy/impossible to obtain.

I was looking at .357 revolvers, but decided I want a 9mm. I'm most interested in the S&W SD9VE. Cheap, reliable, all-around good starting gun from what I've read.

What does /k/ think? Apparently the trigger is the only issue with this gun, and at <400$ I don't think I can go wrong here.
>>
If you want an SD9VE go ahead and jump for the M&Ps, better overall quality. They're fine carry weapons.
Go to the store and try out the weight, size, and how it feels in your hands.

Now prepare for the shotstorm
>>
>>28449906
>shitstorm
I never visit /k/, sorry if I violated some board culture.

Thanks for the tip though.
>>
>>28449933
You didn't, you're just going to get copypasta teling you to research 30 clones of Glocks, read five books, buy a Nugget, etc.
I try to jump on these threads before that happens.

.357 is a perfectly fine carry round, if you try out some 9mm and find the recoil too snappy then a revolver in .357's weight may be better for dampening that. .357 magnums can also fire lighter .38spcl rounds which are good for cheap range time.

And you will need to spend time gitting gud if you expect this gun to protect you.
>>
>>28449958
Oh, I have experience shooting. I've just never owned a handgun. I've had my stepfather's 12 gauge for home defense and I've fired his handguns plenty of times, but I've finally decided to purchase my own handgun and get a concealed permit.

And thanks for the tips. My top pick for .357 chamber is the Taurus Model 65 with the 4" barrel.
>>
>>28449896
I'm not going to lie, the SD9VE is easilly one of my favorite guns. Glock 19 size for a significantly lower price, made by Smith and Wesson. I sold the shit out of them when I worked at Rural King, and that was even when they were sitting next to Sig 2022's on sale for $430. Triggers can be replaced with a parts kit, I can't remember where they're sold but I'm sure someone will post it. The trigger job apparently does wonders and makes the gun just werk.

As far as .357, in a concealable pistol it's really not that great. In a full sized pistol, it's amazing. Shorter barrels on .357 revolvers actually don't allow the powder to burn completely, resulting in near-.38spl performance. A .38+P, on the other hand, is a decent choice for carry. Look up the Smith line of Airweight .38's, they come in a few different flavors depending on what you like.
>>
>>28450006
>Taurus
Not even fucking once
Avoid Remington and Marlin for that matter if you're ever looking for long guns in the future
>>
Could you imagine if you invested in S&W before Obama's election? I think the stock is up like 600% over those 8 years.
>>
>>28450015
>Shorter barrels on .357 revolvers actually don't allow the powder to burn completely
This, you need at least 4-5 inch barrels for .357mag to be effective I believe.
>>
>>28450019
There was an anon in one of the gun control threads on /pol/ who posted a graphic of his stock investment in S&W, and it's amazing how much money he's made in the past 6 years.
>>
>>28450018
Yeah, I've heard bad things about Taurus semi-automatic handguns and reliability, but their revolvers seem to get good reviews from what I've seen. Any input on this?
>>
>>28450063
Frankly I wouldn't put stock in any company that's well known for making awful anything.

Ruger and S&W are both perfectly fine manufacturers that offer a range of revolvers in different caliber and budget options, why bother with Taurus QUALITY?
>>
>>28449896
Buds guns has some M&Ps that are used that are similar, they have police trade in Glocks too. I've shot a few SD and all were reliable and fairly accurate.
>>
>>28450063
I've never personally owned a Taurus or a Rossi, but from what I know:

Older Taurus and Rossi can really be crap. I've seen minty looking .357's under both names selling at exactly $300 because people don't trust them. As for the newer stock, they'll keep working just fine, but the fit and finish really suffers. There was a brand new Raging Bull for sale at my lgs once, and I passed on it because I ended up buying a different gun. Months later, the same Taurus was back on consignment, and the chrome on the cylinder releases was flaking off, like that chrome paint you see on dollar tree toys.

Their semiautos, so I've heard, are fantastic for the price, if you're not going to run a gorillian rounds through them. Just understand, like a new Chrysler, depreciation sets in really quick with them.
>>
>>28450077
Because I couldn't find a Ruger .357 that I liked for under $500. I'm on a tight budget right now and would really love to spend $700 on a great gun but sadly can't.
>>
>>28450106
Check out Canik TP9 variations. Affordable and good quality with tons of accessories included.
>>
File: DSC_1796.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1796.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
>no one corrects OP that .38 is 9mm

My carry gun is an air weight but I also have a glock 19.
>>
I've had a SD9VE for a couple years now. Great little cheap pistol.
>>
File: download_20151109_174020.jpg (460 KB, 1632x918) Image search: [Google]
download_20151109_174020.jpg
460 KB, 1632x918
I made the mistake of buying the SD9 a few months ago. The trigger is TERRIBLE, it feels like a god damn revolver. I also had an issue where my thumb would keep the slide release down. After putting 500 rounds through it, I decided enough was enough and sold it for an M&P sheild.

I'm not going to say "Get X or Y" because everyone has different tastes and what's comfortable to me might not be comfortable to you. Before you buy any handgun, always fingerfuck it for a a while, compare between others (including ones out of your price range) and if you can, rent it at a range.
>>
>>28450106
You can get S&W .38s and .357s for $300-$500, particularly if you're willing to buy used.
There's a slutty 6-inch S&W blued .357 at my lgs I've been dying to fingerfuck, fit and finish looks great and all that.
>>
>>28449896
Revolvers are outdated 19 century crap and have no place in self defense in the 21 century. Good that you are not getting a museum piece to carry.
>>
>>28450150
Ignore this autismo, .38spcl and .357mag are two of the most proven self-defense rounds and revolvers are by design rugged and intuitive carry weapons.
>>
>>28450169
I've been on this board for half an hour and even I can tell >>28450150 is a stupid troll. Revolvers are reliable as fuck and .357 is a great self defense round.
>>
>>28449896
Pretty decent piece for the money, the older ones have a really bad trigger i heard some of the newer ones they improved it but havent shot a newer one to know
>>
I've never shot an SD but I've shot my friend's M&P shield and it's a great gun. Since you can get them pretty cheaply I don't see a reason to buy bottom of the barrel, but an extra $100 to spend on ammo is nice too.

I spent a little more and got a sig p320c, I don't regret it at all. It's stupid easy to disassemble and clean. Check how the SD is to disassemble, it's probably simple too but if it's complicated you may want something easy for your first.
>>
>>28450169
>intuitive carry weapon

Oh what is next? Are you also a 500 pounds intuitive eater?

Revolvers are outdated, 38 special is a joke round, 357 magnum needs a long barrel to be effective and you have limited capacity in all revolvers. If you are serious about self defense you need at least 12+1.

I carry a glock 17 by the way.
>>
>>28449896
Though I've never owned one, I regularly handle a SD9VE everyday in the shop. In my opinion, SD9VEs have the best striker fire trigger compared to all other polymer wonder 9's. It's definitely a good pistol to start out with.
>>
>>28450315
>Revolvers are outdated,
Apparently not, they sell millions every year
>38 special is a joke round
.38spcl is literally 9x19, it was the police carry round for years for good reason
>357 magnum needs a long barrel to be effective
True but only 5 or so inches, no bigger than most compact semiautos
>and you have limited capacity in all revolvers. If you are serious about self defense you need at least 12+1.
No, you fucking don't. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent sampling of self-defense situations where more than 6 rounds were fired outside of situations with multiple assailants, typically gang members, are involved

Great job spewing memes you obvious noguns
>>
>>28450401
Blown the fuck out.
>>
File: Okay buddy.jpg (23 KB, 487x675) Image search: [Google]
Okay buddy.jpg
23 KB, 487x675
>>28450315
>If you are serious about self defense you need at least 12+1
>>
>>28450401
Fixie bikes also sell millions a year that doesn't mean that they are not outdated. They are for nostalgia faggots and hipsters.
>38spcl is literally 9x19, it was the police carry round for years for good reason

Because they used revolvers? And no, 9mm outperforms 38 spcl in ballistics and real life data.

>True but only 5 or so inches, no bigger than most compact semiautos

Noguns detected

>No, you fucking don't. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent sampling of self-defense situations where more than 6 rounds were fired outside of situations with multiple assailants, typically gang members, are involved

Yes goyim, prepare only for the average, preparing for something more than average is stoopid!
>>
>>28450483
>no arguments other than memes and false equivalences
Report to Obama and turn in whatever guns you claim you own at your earliest convenience.
>>
>>28450315
Bait/11
>>
>>28450018
>>28450063

Their older semi-autos and current production revolvers are good to go. As a rule of thumb: if it seems gimmicky (judge) or really cheap and not chambered in .22LR, steer clear. Taurus is not a bad company, but their products are cheap for a reason. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra 150 sheckels on a S&W, Ruger, Glock or Springfield.
>>
>>28450036
Snub nose .357mag pistols are also loud as fuck
>>
>>28450063
I own a 605 Poly protector, I got it for really cheap so I gave it a shot. The .38 special shoots perfectly never had any issues after 500 rounds or so with it. The .357 fires fine but its such a small gun its not worth shooting .357. Id recommend for the right price if you just wanted to shoot some .38 special
>>
>>28450401
>Apparently not, they sell millions every year

So Twilight is a great literature series got it
>>
File: 20150731_153235.jpg (1 MB, 2988x4330) Image search: [Google]
20150731_153235.jpg
1 MB, 2988x4330
Get a Glock 17 or a Glock 19. The have a much better trigger than a SD9VE and have much better aftermarket parts availability and customization.
>>
>>28450112
Of course a t*rk is shilling for canik
>>
>>28449896
I cc the sd9. Love it. My only gripe is 34 dollaridoos a mag.
>>
>>28450617
>comparing an entertainment medium to a tool/weapon
So you admit you're a fucktard
>>
>>28449896
I have a sd40 I dig it, but the trigger is pretty stiff and my magazines rattle when full.
>>
>>28450986
>Great job spewing memes you obvious noguns

Just admit you lost
>>
>>28451123
>talking to yourself
:^D
>>
>>28449896
>Hi /k/, new gun buyer here looking to buy my first handgun before Obama makes it lengthy/impossible to obtain.
so you're a convicted felon?
>>
>>28451144
Don't be a smartass, Obama pushing for further gun control is a real possibility.
>>
>>28451135
*holds you down and starts to smash your face in*

TALK SHIT TO ME AGAIN

DO IT

FUCKING FAGGOT
>>
File: Crying Obama.jpg (171 KB, 521x1011) Image search: [Google]
Crying Obama.jpg
171 KB, 521x1011
>>
>>28451156
>Obama pushing for further gun control is a real possibility
it will be this year, it will be next year, and the year after that. This is nothing new.

Not sure why /k/ isn't more worried about states enacting their own gun control.

You fudds get so distracted by the president, that you let state bans go right through without any uproar
>>
>>28451186
dry your eyes m8
>>
>>28451223
>people that don't like Obama = fudd
Uhh
>>
>>28451186
dry your eyes m8
>>
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156 KB, 1111x597
>>28449958
>9mm
>recoil too snappy
>>
>>28452480
>if you find the recoil too snappy
Can you read, fucknugget? For all I know OP is a 120lb college co-ed.
>>
Does the SD9VE work as my sacrificial self-defense gun that the cops can take as "evidence"?
>>
Walther CCP, 9mm.
Good gun for a first time buyer; the ergonomic handle is ogasmic.
>>
>>28451186
dry your eye m8
>>
>>28450401
>>28450315
>>28450169
>self-defense rounds
>of self-defense situations
>about self defense
what about self offense? do you need other guns then?
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
>>28452764
>if you find the recoil too snappy
>9mm
>>
>>28456147
>if
Go take some ritalin for your autism son
>>
>>28450041
Pics pls?
>>
>>28450077
>Frankly I wouldn't put stock in any company that's well known for making awful anything.
>Investing stock because you like the company
>Not because they have a potential to exponentially increase your investment
Stay out of finance.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.