[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need a defense firearm for college/hiking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
I'll be attending college soon in a college town about 2 hours away from home. I'm going to want something that I can keep in my console next to me in my truck in case if for whatever situation I need to defend myself. I'll also be traveling to Colorado and Utah for some camping for about a two week period with a friend, and would feel more comfortable with me having a form of protection, because you never know what'll happen in this crazy world, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. So ideas?

I'm not too experienced with pistols, as I've only owned and used rifles and shotguns. So what would be good, but not overkill when it comes to self defense, but something a moderate size to keep on my person for camping, or just roadside traveling?

>pic for attention
>>
>>28380839
>not experienced with pistols
S&W revolver in .357mag. No safety or hassle, just pull the trigger and boom
>>
>>28380858
For more info: .357 out of a good weight revolver has very low recoil, .357mag caliber has the highest % of one-shot stops, and despite what paranoid people will tell you 6 shots is more than enough to kill anything that moves - mugger, snake, raccoon, agitated woodland critter, etc. Anything you can't kill with 6 shots of .357 you shouldn't go fuck with.

A used S&W will run you about $300-$400, they're reliable as all hell so unless something is outright broken you won't be getting conned. All around great babby's first gun
>>
Ruger LCP
>>
File: tip sent.jpg (83 KB, 1192x333) Image search: [Google]
tip sent.jpg
83 KB, 1192x333
>>28380839
>Need a defense firearm for college
>>
>>28380858
>>28380908
same can be said for any striker fired pistol if you don't want a revolver. I have nothing against revolvers either, its just the point and shoot simplicity isn't limited to them anymore
also regular cc and hiking cc are two different games. If you want a hiking gun that probably means something big and heavy that shoots a large bullet which is more difficult to cc
>>
>>28380908
Another advantage is that if it's rated for .357 mag you can very safely shot .38spl out of it which is generally much cheaper. So you can get some good rangetime with it for a bit less cash which is always nice for a college student.
>>
>>28380858
This is the kind of advice that's given to women by gun store counter jerks.

OP, Get a Glock 19.
>>
File: P7040025.jpg (381 KB, 799x593) Image search: [Google]
P7040025.jpg
381 KB, 799x593
>>28380839
Ruger SR9C

>9mm
>reliable as fuck
>compact
>10+1 capacity on the shorter mag
>inexpensive
>not an ugly glock
>>
>>28380858
>>28380908
I'd rather have twice the ammo with the same physical dimensions. .380 or 9mm

9mm ammo is also half the cost and is more available
>>
>>28380839
.40 S&W is the only common carry caliber that can be relied on to stop a wild animal. 10mm would be better though.
>>
>>28381471
>.40 S&W
deprecated, expensive, unavailable
>10mm
please.

OP, how many bears do you encounter where you live?
>>
How old are you? Also how old do you have to be to own a handgun in your states? Pa fag here
>>
File: smith-wesson-mp340.jpg (38 KB, 661x496) Image search: [Google]
smith-wesson-mp340.jpg
38 KB, 661x496
>>28380839
>>
>>28381319
dont go 380
>>
>>28381507
I'm 19, and Kansas law permits me for one.
>>
File: M&P Shield.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
M&P Shield.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28380839
I recommend what I carry around campus for college, don't know if it'd be good enough for innawoods though because lolonly9mm
>>
>>28382080
I'm not looking to carry around for camping, campus, just back and forth road travels, and in my apartment
>>
Glock 19. There is a reason why its the best carry gun in the fucking world and the SEALS have switched over to it.
>>
Anything wrong with a 1911 in .45?
>>
>>28382155
A bit big and got quite the punch, but its a great gun on overall
>>
Get a compact 1911 like para warthog
>>
>>28381098
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHmwD2VElyE
>>
>>28381197
>namefag gets triggered by anon posting logical advice because DAR GUNS FER GURLZ!!!
Holy shit lol
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.