[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
skeep/trap/clay shotgun thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: st_12-gauge-shotgun-loads8_h.jpg (30 KB, 420x259) Image search: [Google]
st_12-gauge-shotgun-loads8_h.jpg
30 KB, 420x259
sup /k/,

Looking to get into sport shooting, and I'm ready to purchase (been renting for the most part).

While I do have a budget, I'm still new to buying, and I was wondering if I could get some pointers of what to look for in a good shotgun. I'm between a semiautomatic or an over under, both sub 1000.
>>
mossberg 500
>>
>>28375000
Pump: used Remington 870 (pre-2007), Mossberg 500 (and derivatives), Winchester SXP is okay. Any of these under $350 would be fine.

For a little more, you could go Nova or SuperNova. I would go Nova unless you would use 3.5" shells hunting.

I would avoid the BPS and Ithaca 37 due to the bottom feed port being a pain when shooting trap and the lack of an open ejection port for service.

Autoloaders:
Avoid Turkshit for trap if you are going to be shooting volume. This includes Weatherby, Stoeger, and CZ. For casual shooting, they are probably okay.

Also avoid the Remington VersaMax.

I would recommend Beretta A400 or Montefeltro, but they are out of the price range unless used.

An older Remington 1100 could work well, but their gas system requires a fair bit of maintenance.

I have Mossberg 930 for this coming season and it has yet to have any issues with my pre-season shooting. The Winchester SX2 and SX3 are good and are just FN designs.
>>
>>28375000
Also, if you are serious about skeet, I would strongly recommend an autoloader over pump. Skeet can be shot with a pump, but the reset on recoil and then racking the slide can hurt your recovery.

For most clay disciplines, an O/U or unsingle is preferred. Starting out, something like a Linberta or CZ Redhead (or the cheaper Mallard) would be okay. Both are Turkish but seem to hold up better than their autoloaders.
>>
>>28375254
different guy, what about the Browning A5?
The safe with my guns was stolen out of my mom's house, we got some about, but for the shotguns I lost I want to replace them with a decent hunting or skeet gun, would the A5 be a good choice?
>>
>>28375000
Another thing to consider is sight plane. Many prefer longer barrels in clay guns, especially trap, due to the sight plane being narrowed in focus by the distance from the shooter. Most call this "less leading," though the velocity difference of target shotshells in 2 inches of barrel is pretty small.

I prefer 30-34 inches but can shoot well down to 26 inches. My 930 is 28 inches.

A longer barrel also weighs more, affecting moment of inertia and the gun's swing. I like a heavy gun due to my weak follow-through, but that depends on the shooter.
>>
>>28375392
New or used? Used and at a good price, why not. I don't feel the new ones are worth $1500.

Also, they use a recoiling barrel. This isn't bad, but it gives the gun a different recoil pattern than most modern autoloaders. You have the initial recoil, the barrel coming back, and then the barrel sliding back forward.

I hate shooting over the hump, but have mechanically similar Remington Sportsman 48 that uses a more modern receiver design.
>>
>>28375392
Also, the new A5s don't use the classic action.
>>
>>28375492
>>28375461
yeah Ive been researching a little and saw that, My Rem 1187 was stolen in the safe, so I was looking to replace that, but I weary of the quality of remington nowadays. I'll think about it though, cause it looks like cabelas has A5s for $1200 instead of 1500
>>
>>28375000
>quality over and under
>sub 1k
Pick one
Although I bought a stevens 28g for 700
>>
>>28375254
>>28375346

I'll go with a good autoloader over an over/under. In the long run, is it cheaper to maintain an o/u vs an autoloader?
>>
>>28375543
The O/U I recommended would be for starting out. You would have to replace it down the road with something better.

Autoloaders vary a lot from gun to gun. Gas guns are usually worse than recoil.
>>
>>28375543
Break action shotguns have a whole host of shit that goes wrong with them, such as cracked receiver faces, lug warping/wear, and the barrels moving out of true.
>>
I use a Springfield 67E
>>
>>28375543
I went with the 930 because they are pretty hard to fuck up and they are cheap. Even with getting the a special snowflake variant, it was only $600.
>>
You can find remington 11-87s for fairly cheap. Mines been reliable and runs light or heavy 3in loads. Piston operation is best operation.
>>
>>28375560
I'll prob go over 1k, looking at the recommendations. In all price ranges, there's a good mix of synthetic and wood stocks. Is synthetic more ergonomic and durable? I always assumed wood is just for looks.

Also, is there much dismissing returns when you go from 1k-1.5( to anything above 1.5k?

>>28375586
Never knew they had hosts of maintenance points
>>
>>28377606
For the break actions, it's less maintenance and more wear. If I had a cracked face on a cheap O/U, I would just buy another gun. Better guns are generally going to outlast the shooter.

Oh, and cheap break actions seem to have trigger issues, especially Stoeger.
>>
>>28377606
Wood versus synthetic isn't all that big of deal in higher end guns. The wood is usually choice quality and/or reinforced. Synthetic stocks are still going to show abuse less.

Cheap wood is usually more of a pain than it's worth, unless it's laminate. Cheap wood is often soft or brittle. Turkish imports often have veryvgood wood, which is misleading as to the gun's overall quality.
>>
>>28377606
For autoloaders, I would question the returns above $1500 and there would have to something to justify it, like a fully adjustable stock and rib or something. Walnut isn't worth $500 to me, but to some it is.

Towards $2000 you are looking at much better O/U options than under $1000.

If you have a range with rentals, try that. I had a UGB-25 Excel of regret for a time because I bought then shot.
>>
>>28375392
>A5 for sts?
Shoot it if you got it, but no, not really. A5 is a nostalgia piece, like a tommy gun or SAA for pd.
>>
In my opinion, the biggest difference in shotgus is feel and fit. After 100 shots, the manual of arms will become ingrained.
>Beretta (and Ruger Red Label) forearm allows barrel to sit in palmof hand
>Browning (except 425) forearm perches barrels up high above hand
>Some autoloaders have shimkits to fit the gun to you
>Trap guns have a high comb
>long balanced barrels swing better
>European guns balance better because barrels and chambers go through proof houses.
Japs and yanks just hog on as much steel as needed to keep bubba from blowing his hand off.
>B
>>
>>28378359
Which European shotguns balance better than something from CSMC like the A10? I know the Beretta D10 and Krieghoff Model 32 (burgerpoor, I know) are pretty similar, despite the A10 having what felt to be a huskier receiver than either the D10 or Model 32.

Granted, I hate break guns and have less than 1000 rounds through any single competition grade break action, so my senses aren't too finely calibrated for such things.
>>
>>28377940
pretty sure your thinking of the old one, browning came out with a new one a few years ago
>>
>>28377904
Usually all the rentals at mine are autoloader Benelli's, so the variety isn't there, and I don't have many friends into shooting in my area.

Anything I should know between choosing an autoloader that's gas vs inertia?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.