[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aircraft maintenance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3872x2592
Im wondering, the planes on carriers that are above deck, open to the elements, how much are they affected by the weather?
Surely after 10/20/30/40 years some planes get some serious problems with the environments they traverse
Or does basic maintenance suffice?
>>
>>28336157
>>28336157

In aviation squadrons daily corrosion inspections are done and parts/airfranes are cleaned and treated with either preservative fluids to prevent corrosion or repainted to protect surfaces. Corrosion prevention is a never ending battle in the fleet and lots of man hours of work are eaten up by it.

Salt water (and for that matter salty air) are the main problems due to corrosion of airframes and parts. Naval aircraft have a maintenance schedule that includes periodic washdowns with fresh water and soap which removes the salt, dirt, grime, spilled fluids and assists in identifying problem areas.

An aircraft carrier can avoid most severe weather thanks to modern weather forecasting and satellites. However the ship will steer through occasional small squalls and rain storms on purpose because the fresh water is available and free. The fresh water used daily is produced aboard ship and it takes up to 500 gallons of fresh water converted to steam for each catapult shot as well as that used for cooking, hygiene etc etc.
>>
>>28336234
Thanks, quite informative
>>
>>28336157
>>28336234
Also, let's not forget that aircraft on the flight deck are constantly rotated through the hangar deck for maintenance and storage. While there are almost always aircraft being stored on the flight deck, they're not all the SAME aircraft. Any given aircraft may only spend half the deployment or less (or a little more) being stored on the flight deck.
>>
>>28336482

Sorry for tard-tier question....

Is there space for all the planes in hangarage in case of bad weather etc? How are the planes physically attached to the deck to stop them rolling about?
>>
>>28336157
I use to fix f-18's in the navy, but never went on a boat. I would her horror stories about a squadron coming back and a couple of their planes being sent immediately to depot maintenance cause of how fuck they got from the salt air.

>Boss sends me on a busy work job
>Go find airplane 330
>Walk entire airbase 3 times, even some planes im sure I shouldnt be in
>Still dont see airplane, they dont magically disappear
>See what use to be a plane in the corner of a hangar
>No wings, tail, engines, landing gear, stabs, cockpit
>If it was connected by bolts it was gone
>Hey I found it
>>
>>28336522
There is space for all of them. They use steel cables to hook into metal bars that are recessed into the deck to keep them from rolling about. It's not a tard-tier question, watch a documentary or two while jerking off or reading stuff and you'll learn interesting tidbits about these things. There is an excellent NOVA documentary on Aircraft carriers.
>>
>>28336533
Pic sorta related.
>>
File: flight deck tie downs.jpg (236 KB, 1264x722) Image search: [Google]
flight deck tie downs.jpg
236 KB, 1264x722
>>28336522

>How are the planes physically attached to the deck to stop them rolling about?

Tie down chains from points on the aircraft to pad eyes o the flight deck. Pic related.

>Is there space for all the planes in hangarage in case of bad weather etc?

While there is large amounts of storage space to conceivably carry the current number of aircraft in a carrier air wing it is impractical to move them all because of time.

See the next pic I post to get a sense of how cramped the hangar can become with aircraft.

It is easier in foul weather to simply move aircraft further back from the bow of the ship (where winds and waves are more dangerous) and tie them down with additional tie down chains.

And yes as large as a carrier is waves can and do occasionally go over the flight deck in foul weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AGEpBjcZ4s
>>
File: hangar bay.jpg (3 MB, 3956x2724) Image search: [Google]
hangar bay.jpg
3 MB, 3956x2724
>>28336576

Hangar bay pics.
>>
>>28336588
>being the guy who has to play hornet jenga
sounds like hell
>>
>2015
>Ships and jets aren't made out of rust proof metal

Thanks Obama!
>>
>>28336588

Same anon.

Video of how aircrat are moved in the hangar bay to elevators for transport to the flight deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzi-itcEp3M
>>
>>28336567

Pretty sure that pic is not kosher, not kosher at all.
>>
>>28336234

>steampunk catapult technology

Why? What about other options?
>>
>>28336879
We are working on EMLS, but there are not a whole lot of other options.
>>
>>28336879

Hence why they are going towards electromagnetic technology for launching the aircraft.

The first catapault systems used hydraulic fluid and pistons but they were notorious for frequently failing to launch aircraft to the proper speed. Steam catapaults then were developed to reliably launch aircraft -- especially as aircraft weights increased with newer generations of planes and weapons.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.