[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone give me a crash course in bullets? I just recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 707x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 707x488
Can someone give me a crash course in bullets? I just recently acquired my first arm, ever. And I've always been curious to learn more about the differences in the caliber and size of a billet, and what each is intended for and capable of doing.

To put it in perspective, I only know about 9mm and 50 cals, which I know that the latter is intended to bring down fucking airplanes.
>>
>>30671520
Start off with reading the sticky. Any specific questions? What gun do you have?
>>
>>30671549
A Glock 17, mate.
>>
>>30671520
killing yourself would be a good start.
>>
>>30671520
Lesson 1: A combination of bullet, primer, casing and powder is called a cartridge. Not a 'bullet.' :^)
>>
File: wheel.gif (31 KB, 450x455) Image search: [Google]
wheel.gif
31 KB, 450x455
>>30671560
Get familiar with it before you take it to a range. YouTube is great for disassembly videos and answering a lot of your questions on it. Look up basic safety and read up on any range rules beforehand. Here's a chart for figuring out what you're doing wrong when you shoot it for the first time. Just like anything else it's going to take practice to get better.
>>
>>30671560
FMJ's for plinking and training
Good JHP's for actual self defense
>>
>>30671520
The later was intended to shoot airplanes down but I don't know if anyone uses them for that purpose any more.
>>
>>30671691
fmj = full metal jacket
jhp = jacketed hollow point
>>
File: drag.jpg (69 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
drag.jpg
69 KB, 720x404
>>30671520
Here's a real answer.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
>>
>>30671520
I'll give you a /k/ meme rundown of the common pistol calibers.

.25 ACP: Fetish round
.32 ACP: Fetish round
.380: Lol worse than 9mm
9mm: Lol no stopping power
.357 sig: Meme round
.40 S&W: Meme supreme
.45 ACP: but muh high capacity
>>
>>30671706
Thanks, mate. How much damage can a JHP do to the human body?
>>
>>30671751
.45 GAP: lolwut
.460 Rowland: it's 1 bigger m8
.50AE: one shot kill headshots
>>
>>30671520
bullet = projectile
Cartridge/round = casing containing priming compound, powder, and a projectile
And no, you don't know shit about .50. Caliber just means diameter. 9mm means a bullet with a diameter of 9 millimeters. .50 means 0.50 inch diameter. The .50 BMG cartridge has been used by early fighter planes, but there are several .50 cal cartridges. .50 GI is just a slightly larger .45 ACP. .50 AE is what you get if you made a .44 mag as wide as it's rim (thus making it "rimless", due to not having a protruding rim). .500 S&W is as large of a cartridge as manufacturers feel comfortable sticking in a handgun. None except the BMG would ever be considered fit for an AA role.
>>30671751
You forgot 10 out of 10mm, God and Col. Cooper's gift to mankind. If Browning was alive, he'd redo all his handgun designs to fire such a perfect caliber.
>>30671768
More than an FMJ of similar size. HPs just mushroom out to provide more frontal area. More crush area, reduced penetration.
>>
>>30671751
>7.62x54R
cyкa Блять

>.577 Tyrannosaur
ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO SAVE THE PRESIDENT?!?
>>
>>30671815
>Caliber just means diameter. 9mm means a bullet with a diameter of 9 millimeters. .50 means 0.50 inch diameter.

This is not true all of the time, due to how measurements are done (either to a peak or to a valley), leading to things like a .44 special actually being .43 in diameter.
>>
>>30671856
.44, .38, and others were done in a time when heeled bullet designs were the norm. A heeled .44 spl has a projectile .44 inches in diameter. We stopped doing heeled bullets because that shit is retarded and bad for accuracy. Same case, same weights, similar charge/ charge equivalents, but the name was from a bygone time and bygone design.
But yes, there are minor variations based on if the caliber is measured on the bullet, a peak, or valley, or you have a retard at the helm who picks something close because the name was already taken.
>>
>>30671768
Between 40 and 80 DAM depending on small arms skills.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.