[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In my state, it is illegal to sell AR lower receivers to anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 2000x1334
In my state, it is illegal to sell AR lower receivers to anyone under 21, as it can be turned into a SBR or pistol.
My question for you, /k/ is as follows:
What is stopping somebody under 21 from buying a full-length rifle, removing the lower receiver, and building a pistol off of it?
What would the potential legal ramifications be?
I'm 23, own a few AR-15s and never understood this law. Seems pretty dumb to me.
>>
>>30670765
Once a rifle always a rifle. If you do that you've created an unregistered SBR.
>>
>>30670765
It doesn't have to make sense for them to make it law anon. You know what to do.
>>
I'm pretty sure that's federal law.

Lower receivers are classified as "other" or some shit and are treated as handguns, so FFLs can only sell them to people 21+
>>
>>30670779
If it starts life as a rifle, then that's the case. However, a stripped lower or one assembled as a pistol can be converted into a rifle and then to a pistol with no problem.
>>
>>30670765
>It's like anti gun legislation was written by people who don't understand guns

You're starting to get it anon.
>>
>>30670781
So what about 80% lowers, then? If you're over 18 but under 21, what would happen if you used an 80% lower to make a regular rifle?
>>
>>30670799
Hm, I thought it could be converted to a rifle, but not back into a pistol again. Not that anyone would know unless you did it in the ATF's waiting room or something.
>>
>>30670818
Nah, if it starts life as a pistol or "other" you can convert it willy nilly.

That's why it's stupid to buy an assembled rifle.

Side note, even if it's an assembled lower with a stock and everything, it's still considered "other" and you can take off the stock and use it as a pistol.
>>
>>30670806
Probably nothing.
>>
>>30670829
put a pistol receiver extension tube on if you do this
>>
>>30671945
You don't have to.
>>
>>30672037
I'm pretty sure taking the collapsible stock off a lower with an short barreled upper doesn't make it a pistol, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to argue that with feds if they ever got in my ass about something.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.