[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Yugoslavian_SKS_M59_66.jpg (182 KB, 1501x415) Image search: [Google]
Yugoslavian_SKS_M59_66.jpg
182 KB, 1501x415
Is an SKS a good beginner's rifle? It seems pretty good, but how readily available is ammo for it?
>>
>>30665525

Uses the same round as the AK-47 and AKM. 7.62x39.

Ammunition is widely available and pretty damn cheap. Easily the second most popular intermediate cartridge in the USA assuming that's where you are.
>>
Absolutely a great entry rifle. Cheap, reliable, low maintenance, fairly accurate, low recoil, dirt cheap ammo that can be found litetaly anywhere.
>>
File: sks does errything LOL.png (47 KB, 727x929) Image search: [Google]
sks does errything LOL.png
47 KB, 727x929
>>30665525
Sure. Just don't pay so much you could have gotten an entry level AR for $100 more.
>>
>>30665535
That is where I am, yes.
>>30665557
Sounds amazing, recommend any site in particular where I can pick one up? Already have a FFL dealer in mind.
>>
youre 15 years too late for the cheap sks train (unless youre canadian).
get a used mosin at a pawnshop for $100-150 instead.
or get a yugo or turkish mauser for $200-250.
or spend $100-200 more than the sks likely costs and get an ar-15 or WASR kalashnikov.
>>
>>30665571
Where can I find any sort of deal on a SKS? Even online, I'm finding the cheapass Norinco SKS's for $450. I can get an ATI Omni Hybrid AR for $550 on sale from Dunhams.
>>
>>30665525

May as well save up another $200-300 more and get a WASR-10. You'll have the benefit of a removable 30 round magazine, not to mention plenty of choices for muzzle devices, furniture, and optics if you so desire.

Unless you're in California.
>>
>>30665571
How would you go about using it as a bottle opener? I'm assuming just with the bayonet.
>>
>>30665591
I'm in Florida.
>>30665582
I know that, and don't want a Mosin.
>>
File: SKS Mosin.jpg (2 MB, 1268x3495) Image search: [Google]
SKS Mosin.jpg
2 MB, 1268x3495
I was going to suggest getting one from Atlantic, then realized they're all sold out. Some are Classic, those are $100 more expensive than when I saw them for sale two years ago.

Good rifle though. Mine was my first long gun, and has lots of history behind it, which is a plus if you're also into getting a gun with character.
>>
File: SKS Bolt Face.jpg (48 KB, 667x605) Image search: [Google]
SKS Bolt Face.jpg
48 KB, 667x605
>>30665754

*Some are available from Classic Firearms

Fuck I can't type worth shit tonight
>>
>>30665616
you smack the cap against the gun somewhere and hope the glass shards dont go inside the bottle.
>>
>>30665586
http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/sks-rifles/chinese-sks-rifle-7-62x39cal.html
>>
File: 1458478725839.jpg (217 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458478725839.jpg
217 KB, 1920x1200
>>30665828
>Not drinking glass shards with your Guinness

Beta male detected.
>>
A Russian sks was my first gun in 09 but to be quite honest you're better off with a ar build or a wasr in today's market
>>
I'm also nogunz but I've held a few and heard a lot about them and honestly I'd get one if I could actually find a Russian one that hasn't been modified to death. There was a gun show on the 16th in my town and only one SKS wasn't completely modified, and it was a Norinco with the fake bayonet. All others were modded, ranging from light modding like giving it a detachable mag, to heavy modding like the guy who made it into a fucking bullpup and did a terrible job at it.

If you can find a Russian one for $500 or less that isn't modified, go for it. But good luck finding one.
>>
>>30665525
Its a tough cheap reliable rifle, with cheap ammo. its only real use is as an inexpensive battle rifle.

but no, it isnt a good beginners rifle, a beginners rifle should be a bolt action .22 to learn the fundamentals of shooting on.

Really it depends on what you want to do with your "beginners rifle".

for hunting, any other basic bolt action will be better unless you're doing shorter range shit like hunting hogs.
>>
AK would be better choice tbqh, and prolly would cost the same nowadays. No other semi is as easy to field strip and maintain, aftermarket is huge, and you can feed them just about any kind of ammo.
>>
>>30665525
To put it simply - If you like the rifle, get it, and don't look back. Sure, there's a fuckton of better rifles. Worse, too. If you accept what it is, you'll be happy with it. And if you don't get it, it'll be gnawing on your mind for not getting something you like. Easy, right?
>>
>>30666369
Or, y'know, contact some local gunfag to show you the basics, go to a range a few times, get a feeling of what you like and then buy something.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.