[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY HP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: 9_mm.jpg (165 KB, 900x474) Image search: [Google]
9_mm.jpg
165 KB, 900x474
I have around 4000rds of 115gr 9mm ball and hardly any hollow points. I just can't bring my self to stockpile the defensive ammo when it's almost 2x the cost.

But I just had what might be a great idea. Tell me why I cant make jig that locates and secures the case rim, and drill out the tip on a drill press.
I already Googled it, and can't find anyone doing it on a drill press with a jig.
>>
Youre pretty special arent you
>>
>>30661703
check out the old basement machinist/ johnny labs/ thesalesman2.0 infographics, he had a thing on doing that with .32 short

to be honest, doing what you're thinking without using a lathe and collets will inevitably lead to FTF in an auto loading gun
>>
>>30661703
Yeah you could do that but it won't have the same effect as a HP that was factory made. FMJ is fine.
>>
Serious, you want to take a live cartidge, and drill into it, which metal on metal drilling usualy makes sparks, and hope you dont lose a finger... Also, the hollow point by itsell will do nothing, so much science and development goes into the shape and size of the cavity, thickness and construction of the jacket and so on. Drilling a hole into a cheap fmj will do nothing for increasing the stopping power of your bullet. Heres an idea, instead of wasting all that money on shit ammo, you could have bought a few hundred rounds of good self defense rnds. You can only carry so much ammo in a post apocalyptic scenario anyways, why stock pile more than a few hundred.
>>
>>30661810
Im fully aware they wouldn't perform like a factory HP. And I wouldn't go crazy with doing it until I test functionality and performance. But I'm thinking it would atleast dump more energy than ball and expand slightly.
>>
>>30661840
I don't stockpile for post apocalyptic scenarios. I stockpile for post hillary scenarios.
>>
>>30661703
I'll offer you a few scenarios
>OP bores into FMJ round in a drill press
>sparks fly
>nearby ammo box sets on fire
>49 pistol rounds go off all over your garage
>one hollowpoint manufactured

>OP decides to fire homemade rounds
>rounds are not structurally sound, a piece of metal catches and the explosive force fails to propel the round down range, round explodes into a zillion pieces in your fist

>OP is getting his dick sucked in a back alley by some other fag
>some guy pulls a knife
>OP being the glorious /k/ommando he is, pulls pistol
>home made rounds jam
>stabbed to death, your date sucks the robbers dick to stay alive
>OP is not only a faggot, but a cuck.
>>
>>30661840
You can't spark on copper or lead. And if you are sparking while drilling you are doing it way wrong anyway.
>>
>>30661894
This is what I'm doing as well
>>
>>30661840
>>30661921
Hardened steel drilling into copper and lead would not create a spark. But ill cut you some slack, they probably didn't teach you that in high school.
>>
FMJ will do fine, just work on your aim a little more.
>>
How many rounds do you think you'll fire in defense? How many firefights do you think you'll survive? Do you think life will become Fallout? Wandering Apocalyptia, mowing down bandits and looting corpses you deanimated yourself?
>>
>>30661703
they make these for tokarev ammo

You don't need to stockpile defensive, only enough to fill your magazines
>>
File: ijelqwiqyxlz14be0v9h[1].png (424 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
ijelqwiqyxlz14be0v9h[1].png
424 KB, 800x450
>>30662200
>How many rounds do you think you'll fire in defense?

>>
I pulled a bullet out and tried to drill though it to make it into a bead for a necklace. Lead gums up standard drills something fierce. The heat from the drilling melted the lead around the bit so it just galled up about .25" in.

If you do try to drill, get something that can pull the offal out quick and use tap magic to help draw off the heat.

I was using a standard, cobalt coated #40 drill.
>>
>>30662331
you could just use water, you wouldn't even need cutting oil
And it's pretty obvious you drilled WAY too slowly if you were melting it into the flutes
>>
>>30662475
I didn't have a drill press so it was just hand work. The lower melting point for lead was something i was not used to working with. The drill was having problems pulling the chips out and I should have peck drilled it. It went from fine to fucked rather quick.

It is probably for the best though. Having exposed lead on a necklace is probably not the best idea so I gave up after the first go.
>>
>>30662596
>Having exposed lead on a necklace is probably not the best idea

Lead doesn't magically aerosolize, cuckold
>>
People used to drill out ammo surplus ammo to make cheap hollow points. Unfortunately- most ball ammo us a lead core pressed in from the rear. if you drill out the front- you risk the core being shot out and the jacket being left behind n the barrel.
>>
>>30662639
>if you drill out the front- you risk the core being shot out and the jacket being left behind n the barrel.

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
yes, you can drill it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AHiciJi5o

but you'll be significantly lightening the bullet, the powder will not be burning at the right speed so you'll probably get lower energy than the FMJ or a regular HP
>>
File: 100_2255.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
100_2255.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
>>30662616
No but it does rub off and can get into pores. Many substances can be taken up though the skin. Fingers are pretty tough but soft skin around the neck can absorb stuff easy.

It would also make the necklace weigh more. It ended up looking pretty good.
>>
I would not seek to modify the FMJ rounds you have. I expect that to result in disaster! My advice is to purchase hollow-points. For a large budget supply I would suggest Hornady American Gunner. It is sold in bulk, it is XTP hollow-points and in 9mm it is available in 115 grain and 124 grain +P. That should do, the 115 should compare nicely with the FMJ that you have.
>>
>>30662988
>that tactical jackoff crystal
>>
>>30663032
lol, man. It is like you never made jewelry for a chick before. That is half the reason you take jewelry classes at a community college. I am pushing 30 and date chicks in the 18-22 range.

That necklace was for a lady who loved purple stones and slav guns.
>>
>>30662200

damn, them digits would mutilate minors
>>
USA9JHP2 doubles as practice / stockpile and carry / home - defense ammo

it works damned well but because it does not cost an arm and a leg the internet tells you tha it is bad
>>
>>30663106
>a chick
If "she" asked you for a jackoff crystal, I've got some news for you, Anon...
>>
>>30663339
No, she likes purple amethyst. I don't judge, I just make what they want. She wanted Wolf ammo too. And hemp string.
>>
>>30663309
Still at best, $15 box. Over 90% of my 115gr ball I paid <21cpr, all brass. The few HP I do have are ppu and paid 34cpr.
>>
>>30661840
even for apocalyptic scenarios, ammo is always good for trade
>>
>>30663443
Ppu is the least useful hp ammo money can buy. Get some real defensive rounds; Gold Dot, Hydra Shok, Hst, Silver tips, Golden Sabre, Crtical Defense...
>>
>>30663534
I'm aware of what "good" hp are, I have Interneto Explorero obviously. I just refuse to pay such a premium.
>>
>>30661703

How much do you value your time, OP?

To do this *well*, you would have to remove the bullet, line it up on a drill press (Or better yet, a lathe) and drill out the center. Once you do this, you'll have something between a HP and an FMJ round, and possible feed issues.

This will be a messy and time consuming process, since lead will melt and gall up your drill points.

The cost of time and equipment alone makes this impractical. You're better off buying a reloading set and casting your own hollow points, but in terms of money saved that's a toss up.
>>
>>30663581
Well than you get what you pay for. Low price gets you low quality shit. I would rather have one box of 124gr +p Gold dots that have literaly killed thousands of bad guys by american law enforcement, many on the first shot,than 4000 rnds of target plinking ammo that you have no hope of quickly stopping a threat without a brain shot. Just my opinion tho.
>>
Just buy cheap hollowpoints instead of premium defensive stuff.

I mean, they are factory made hollowpoints, so they're probably at least a little better than home-drilled, you waste zero time making them yourself, and the ones I buy cost $15 a box. (Independence 115gr)

That said, if you want to know how and practice making hollowpoints yourself out of regular FMJ plinking rounds, well, go ahead. I've tried. I would suggest somehow filing the point down to be flat first, so your bit doesn't keep glancing off the point and making your hole off center.
>>
>>30663738
Were talking a suffucient jig, and a sufficient bit on a press. Glancing off center, fuck that. You have the wrong idea, this would be precise or not at all.
>>
there is zero reason to stockpile HP's.
get two or three boxes, shoot one mag a month, buy a new box every time you use one up.
>>
>>30661732
>>30661784
>>30661840
>>30661921
>>30662200
>>30663692
Jealous faggots that don't have stockpile.
>>
>>30663534
>>30663581
>>30663738
I say again: use Google. USA9JHP2 is a useful hollowpoint. The worst you can say about it is that it is 147 grains, and then only if you harbor the weird irrational grudge against heavy 9mm loads that is older than most posters on this website
>>
>muh stockpile
>a hollowpoint is literally just a hole drilled in the center and nothing else
>can't spend $40 for 100 rounds of defensive ammo

Sell your guns and ammo, take up a safe hobby that doesn't potentially endanger others with your infinite retardation. You're living in a fantasy world. I can safely bet you only own 2 spare mags
>>
>>30661703
>Tell me why I cant make jig that locates and secures the case rim, and drill out the tip on a drill press.
you can. have fun.
>>
>>30661703
>Tell me why I cant make jig that locates and secures the case rim, and drill out the tip on a drill press.
you can do just that. most people dont want to destroy their guns/hands/life though so they spend a small sum of money on actual hollowpoints
>>
>>30661703
Why not take the time you would spend drilling your own hollowpoints, and make some money to buy some hollow points?
>>
>>30661894
At worse it is only 8 years. Doesn't gunpowder and primers degrade over time?
>>
>>30666832
cartridges made with quality components will last half a lifetime if theyre stored correctly
>>
>>30661869
>removing mass
>increasing energy transfer
Nope
>>
>>30661921
Stay classy /k/.
>And THIS, Gentlemen, is why I always come back.
>>
>>30664752
Lmao 4k isnt even a pile
I still have 18000 from my last order
>>
>>30666845
you'd have to chrono the drilled rounds to see how much energy is lost since the powder doesn't match the bullet weight. The JHP is more likely to pass through the target, so not transferring all its energy. The drilled round is able to transfer more of its energy. The question is, does the drilled round lose more in internal ballistics than it gains in terminal ballistics. Hope I'm making that clear, I can't word this nicely
>>
>>30661703
Drill a .556 wide hole long enough to fit a powder filled .22 short in it and you have some nice DIY explosive rounds.
>>
>>30666912
I'm doubting that just drilling out an FMJ is going to give you a noticeable increase in percent of energy transferred. There is a lot more that goes into bullet construction than "hurr just drill a hole in it"
>>
>>30667567
Drilling and filling works well though
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=71AHiciJi5o
>>
>>30661703

Do a something like this

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/diy-extreme-hollow-point-maker-kit?a=891185
>>
>>30662674
it sounds retarded but its not so uncommon, in austria fmj was prohibited years ago, some surplus was available with grinded off tips like dum dum's and if there was too much material grinded away it happend that the core was blown out and the jacket stucked in de barrel
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.