[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any news on the railgun's development ? How will it be used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: Japan-F-35.jpg (100 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
Japan-F-35.jpg
100 KB, 800x598
Any news on the railgun's development ? How will it be used ? Railgun broadside when ?

>Also, future military technology discussion thread.
>>
Never thought about a railgun broadside. It would def. require a fuckton of power.

We're gonna go full circle and end up with canoes, or some shit.
>>
>>30654557
>full circle
Railgun-equipped modern Ironclads when?
>>
>>30654615
Idk. I was thinking more of a ship of the line kinda thing.

Might happen when railguns have longer reach/advantageous to missiles, and ships can provide the high power needed.
>>
>>30654446
Unfortunately, it looks like no new revolutionary advancements are being made, ie, the tank, stuff like that.

Everything is just a slight improvement on the previous thing.
>>
>>30654686
I can't imagine how railguns are better than missiles. Can anyone enlighten me ?

Besides the railgun ammo being smaller. That's all I can think of.
>>
Bump thread, I'm interested, but don't know much.
>>
>>30654446
There's been recent publicity, but nothing new this year other than Raytheon showing off their pulsed power system and General Atomics test firing Blitzer.

>>30654753
Smaller, cheaper, easy to reload, and safer storage. Velocity and range will also increase as the technology matures and shrinks in size and weight.
>>
new laser, railgun ,and hvp report by O'Rourke
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/R44175.pdf

common land and sea railgun mount
http://www.dtic.mil/congressional_budget/pdfs/FY2017_pdfs/HASC/HASC_Report-CRPT-114hrpt537.pdf#page=102&zoom=auto,-104,239

info on hvp and railgun prototypes in 2017
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016armament/GeissWilsonDOTC.pdf

recent railgun and hvp related sbir's
http://www.navysbir.com/n16_1/N161-046.htm
http://navysbir.info/n16_2/N162-119.htm
>>
File: X-47B runway below.jpg (127 KB, 900x1218) Image search: [Google]
X-47B runway below.jpg
127 KB, 900x1218
>>30654446
Why the USN isn't using this as a stealthy bomb or missile truck is beyond me.
>>
File: F35C carrier landing.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
F35C carrier landing.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>30655757
A tanker is fine too, but having a stealthy flying magazine would significantly benefit the USN on hour one of day one of an operation. Combine with vid related for maximum effectiveness.
>>
File: LRS-B B-21.jpg (56 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
LRS-B B-21.jpg
56 KB, 1024x512
>>
>>30654753
What's to understand? They're just better all across the board in terms of logistics.

They also will eventually be used to intercept missiles.
>>
File: mitsubishi f3.jpg (149 KB, 800x1195) Image search: [Google]
mitsubishi f3.jpg
149 KB, 800x1195
>>30654446
Japan better paint up at least one of their F-35's in that dank af marine camo that they gave their F-2's.

Speaking of Japan, how is their 5th gen tech testbed going along?
>>
>>30655597
How much of dotc is public record? I imagine the proposals are not.
>>
Railgun will be live fired from a Zumwalt later this fall or early next year according to the CNSTC when I asked.
>>
>>30655859
According to an article that came out today or yesterday about Israel painting their F-35's tail, there's currently only one tone available for paint (light grey on the darker grey skin), although the article says the US is working on coatings with alternate colours. You can just forgo a bit of stealth and use normal paints though for ceremonial purposes.
>>
>>30654753
No high explosive propellant. Saves you a LOT in terms of safety systems and interlocks. No huge rounds to lug around, just one small projectile placed in the rail.
No exhaust gas bore evacuation since there is little gas to remove (though there is some plasma that has to be expelled).
power can be controlled much finer than counting bags of gun powder.

The list is endless.
>>
>>30655757
Force addition vs force multiplication.

Put a UCAV on a carrier, you are adding to its current force.

Put an UAV that can be an tanker, that is a multiplier to every combat aircraft on the ship.
>>
>>30655951
This comment makes me laugh every time it's posted.
>>
>>30656142
Except it fills a niche that is sorely lacking in current naval aviation, adding strike capability out to nearly double the range that even the F-35C will offer. Its not adding the same kind of capability that already exists within the fleet.
>>
>>30655983
>You can just forgo a bit of stealth and use normal paints though for ceremonial purposes.
Sure, if you want to spend a fuckton of time and maintenance hours restoring the RAM coating once you remove the paint.
>>
File: HT-95_Front.png (395 KB, 911x448) Image search: [Google]
HT-95_Front.png
395 KB, 911x448
Hovertank with a railgun when?
>>
>>30656654
As soon as we build a dyson sphere to power the fucking thing
>>
>>30656615

Now I'm picturing someone trying to wrap an F-35 in weeb vinyl.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.