[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books that have essentially the same information
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: blind.jpg (891 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
blind.jpg
891 KB, 2048x1152
Are there any good books that have essentially the same information taught in the military regarding combat techniques, drills, and strategies?

pic unrelated
>>
File: america.jpg (41 KB, 625x404) Image search: [Google]
america.jpg
41 KB, 625x404
>be /k/ommando
>spend hours every week at the range
>spend thousands of dollarydoos on Glock-brand-glocks and Daniel Defence ar15s and Aimpoint optics
>spend hundreds on armor plates, boots, combat attire and other gear
>have no idea what the fuck to do in combat other than leapfrog

really /k/...
>>
>>30652927
Ranger Handbook will cover most everything you need to know about the basics of small unit- platoon sized and under- tactics and the basics of patrolling/movement. Most of it is useless though.
>>
>>30652927
yeah theyre called military manuals

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm
>>
Honestly you won't know how and why they're applicable unless you're infantry. Shit is very simple, but I've never seen a POG and especially a civilian grasp battle drills properly.
>>
>>30653258
>>30653297

Pretty much these two answers.
A lot of stuff taught is also internal unit SOP's and previous engagement experience.
Reading is nothing like actual training.
>>
>>30653297
For whatever reason "fix in place with your engaged element then flank with whoever is left" is a hard tactics to understand.
>>
>>30653258
>Most of it is useless though
All of it is pertinent. I wore out my SH 21-76 during ranger school. We practiced every single page. Of course, OPORDS and FRAGOs were the most used (obviously) but everything from rope bridges, armor reconnaissance, dead reckoning and buddy rappels were all highlighted.
>>
>>30653345
>ranger school
>real combat

Tell me more about confusing your rank with my experience, sir.
>>
>>30653345
Outside of Darby I could count the number of times I used my Ranger School Handbook on two hands, and I don't even think I cracked it open once outside of briefings in Floridia.

The sections on "leadership", "Commo shit", "calls for fire", and mountaineering" were useless.

And once you got the basics of any given battle drill- fix then flank- you didn't need to look at those anymore.

So long as you weren't an officer tasked with an OPORD it really wasn't useful.
>>
>>30653277
>Hey how do you navigate the individual page numbers?
>>
File: 1533c77.gif (12 KB, 216x216) Image search: [Google]
1533c77.gif
12 KB, 216x216
>>30653376
I've been to combat too, hero. I have my CIB (and I cherish it).

They don't put instruction in the handbook to make each other giggle. They do it because you may need the knowledge.
>>
>>30652927

Here you go OP, same shit i was taught in the army. Granted reading only goes so far, and its the very basics.

http://www.milsci.ucsb.edu/sites/secure.lsit.ucsb.edu.mili.d7/files/sitefiles/resources/STP%2021-1-SMCT,%20Warrior%20Skills,%20Level%201.pdf
>>
>>30653376
Not that guy, but...

Riding around in an up-armored humvee and firing wildly at some mountain 1km away 3 or 4 times doesn't really count, man. Sorry.

I'm imagining your training lessions: "Well, we shoot wildly at the rocks hoping to hit Taliban. Now you try it. I'm a hero."

lol
>>
>>30653384
In what Infantry world do only officers construct opords?
>>
>>30653376
"This one time a guy I knew I drove over an IED."
>>
>>30653410
thanks breh

enjoy this original reaction face screencap taken by yours truly
>>
>>30653376
Talk shit to a Rangers face and he'll gladly show you some real combat.

You probably got ptsd from watching your buddy fuck a goat to death.
>>
>>30653434
Ranger School where 98% if the time the OPORD is given by some kind of officer given a lot of help by whichever poor O-3 who completed the captain's career course and decided how was a good time to go to Ranger School.

In real life? Yeah sure I've helped construct and brief OPORDs before, but they weren't in the five paragraph format and I didn't need to use the RHB when creating my portion.
>>
>>30653421

Please, real combat is when you are dismounted to go talk to some goatfucker, and you start hearing snaps and the bangs from which they originate and seperate people start yelling 'CONTACT' even though you are well fucking aware. Then you find the nearest cover you can find, wait for somebody to tell you what the fuck to do but nobody does because the LT is busy yelling at other people and then getting on the radio. So then a bunch of people start shooting so you are like 'fuck it' and start dumping rounds in the general direction they are while simultaniously shitting your pants because oh god its happening, then everybody starts the resounding cease fire just as you are about to pull out a mag cause how many times did i pull that trigger. So the LT is finishing up his call for fire support, and god damn it you forgot to put your earpro in and its going 'EEEEEEE' but yeah you can hear the radio asking for how many rounds, and the LT says 'about tree fiddy'. Its about that time you notice your LT aint no LT at all but a 7 story tall crustacean from the paleolithic era, and HQ gets back to him over comms and says 'God damned lochness butterbar, I aint givin you no god damned tree fiddy rounds of fire support, go and get your own god damned support company'.
>>
>>30653473
Please, tell me more!
>>
>>30653473
What a complete disorganized cluster fuck. Your NCOs should be raked over coals. I'm guessing you were in a leg unit.
>>
File: image.png (577 KB, 893x895) Image search: [Google]
image.png
577 KB, 893x895
>>30653492
>>30653516
>these assholes didn't get the joke
>>
>>30653471
Perhaps 4 years in LRS changed my outlook. NCOs were the gods of leadership. I've issued more fragos and opords than I could shake a stick at.

Different jobs, different standards, different perspectives.
>>
>>30653532
I guess not. Fill me in.
>>
>>30653532
>tree fiddy
>EEEEE
>loch ness

yea i got it shitheel. can't i enjoy the story anyway?
>>
>>30653447
holy shit calm down edgemaster
>>
>>30653473
>God damned lochness butterbar
>>
>>30653245
>North Dakota
>Mountains
>>
>>30652927
Len Calcutt ,,Combat"
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.