[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gun Cleaning Setups
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: gun bench.jpg (75 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gun bench.jpg
75 KB, 640x480
Let's see /k/'s gun cleaning bench.

Inspired by this from another thread:
>You don't need to clean an AR with anything more than a rag to occasionally wipe it down.

I think this is bad advice. It's semi-true and OK a couple times, but owning a rifle like an AR doesn't mean a couple times, it's basically for life. Like safety, cleaning should be taken very seriously. Owning a rifle for 60+ years, used much or not, still requires a lot of cleaning sessions. If not, you will find it one day with rust. That is worse than neglectin powertools, vehicles, even your house. The rifle is ultimately what protects them all, and is made to outlast them.

A cleaning bench should have a clear well-lit work surface and be designated for gun cleaning. Invest in a quality brass rod and jag for each caliber you own, Dewey is good. Buy bulk packs of bore brushes, patches and mops online. Have a solvent like Hoppes No 9 and any lubricant like Rem oil- just have a giant bottle and a small refillable bottle of each. Aerosol CLP type stuff is convenient but relied on alone for long term adds up $. Have an organized system to store all this. Put everything back when you're done.

Every effort should make all the future years of gun cleaning the least burdensome as possible. Should never get home from shooting and dread cleaning, or put it off because you're out of something or your work spot is messy or a cheap plastic case for a kit broke and things aren't all in one place.

I think all this is justified. There are people who want to take these things from us, don't let us take them from ourselves.

Someday we'll hand our rifles down to the next generation. Make they get it nearly the same condition we did, and that the skills and discipline you had keeping it that way is passed on as well. Take care of our rifles better than we take care of our selves. Nothing can change that we have to go someday, but our rifles can pretty much last forever.

/rant
>>
>>30652646
you should keep your starret in a case so it doesn't lose calibration, they're nice tools
>>
>>30652646
I keep my rifles lubricated
Not clean
>>
>>30652646
all I need is a boresnake, AKA a shoestring with knots tied in it, and a bottle of Hoppes synthetic blend for less smell to clean my AK.
>>
>>30652646

Brings a tear to my eye
>>
>>30652646
Hoppes No 9 is a good powder solvent but takes days of soaking to clean out copper fouling, but it wont eat your barrel like ammonia-based cleaners will. Is there a good middle ground that wont take 5 days to work but also wont eat my bore?
>>
File: bench.jpg (477 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
bench.jpg
477 KB, 1296x968
>>30652646
>Should never get home from shooting and dread cleaning,

me

>or put it off because you're out of something
>your work spot is messy
>cheap plastic case for a kit broke and things aren't all in one place.

me, me, me

>you will find it one day with rust

goddammit.

Forgive me I have sinned. I could have bought 20 Dewey rods by now for all that was wasted on the worn out boresnakes now lying around.
>>
>>30652669
Looks like an older mitutoyo actually.
>>
>>30652646

For my 1911, I use RB-17 to clean my gun. Then I wash it off with water then dry it with a hair dryer until all the water's evaporated, then lube it with Hoppes Synthetic Oil
>>
File: Guns016.jpg (106 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Guns016.jpg
106 KB, 1024x768
>>30652646

not mine but hnnng
>>
So what do you guys lube it up with ;)
>>
I only have bolt actions and I don't believe in heavy cleaning.

Basically I do rust prevention and lubrication to keep them in good condition for as long as possible. I aim to reduce wear on all my rifles.

Every few range trips or before long storage I will clean the carbon fouling out of the bore with solvent but usually I just boresnake it each time I shoot it. I use soft chamber sticks as frequently. Keep the bolt face, action and follower clean by wiping them down with solvent. And I lightly grease the bolt body. I like cold fouled bore shots over cold clean bore.

I used to be one of the guys that scrubbed the fuck out of the bore with all manner of brushes, patches and chemicals until the patches came clean. But no only was it a waste of time it probably only added to the deterioration of the rifles. Now every few hundred rounds I strip the copper fouling out completely but that's it.
>>
>>30653038
Is that one of those mp5 stocks that go over the ejection port?

I got a zenith and was worried about this
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.