[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GI bill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: GI bill.jpg (15 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
GI bill.jpg
15 KB, 275x183
Is the GI bill just a meme or is it actually useful?

Since everyone I've talked to who wants to join the military wants to join because of the GI bill.
>>
I went to school with a bunch of post-mil dudes using the 9/11 GI bill. It paid for their tuition, books, and housing for 4 years of school. They got a mechanical engineering degree and now make $60-$150K. The two guys that did navy 'nuke' jobs prior to engineering made $150K+ starting with a 4 year bachelors. I'd say they did pretty good. Also to note was they all had a hell of a good work ethic and motivation to do a good career path.

I'm sure there's probably experiences in other directions; that's just been my exposure to guys using the post-9/11 GI bill.
>>
>>30651249

Do the math, the benefits *almost* never make up the lost years of potentially much higher earnings. If one ends up working a dead end job for $40k a year for the rest of his life then maybe he came out ahead.
>>
>>30651538
That's JewMath that assumes the individual would have been able to start earning at that level at the same time they entered the military. That is literally never the case or else they wouldn't have joined the fucking military. The GI bill is awesome, our tuition assistance is bullshit, though. You only get a pittance per year, and they cap the amount you can apply for each semester hour. You're basically limited to shit diploma mills.

t. Air Force enlisted
>>
>>30651587
Really? I go to UF and know several lazy as fuck AF guys who get paid to go to class and shit. Even got hooked up with jobs on campus.
>>
>>30651538
not really.

Say 4 years total for lost time, and 4 years in school.

GI BILL is around 70-78k in education paid for, plus 500 a semester and lets just say 1k bah for a 36month period.

So 70k+500(8)+36(1000)=110,000 dollars in bennys. 40k going into your pocket, so around 10k a year TO GO to school.

Now yes you lose that time, but a pfc makes roughly 20k a year with practically no bills so you also make 80k before school, and may even be able to use TA or training to knock out some classes.

Then theres the state rewards such as in texas, illinois, and missouri's returning heroes act.

Then theres the veteran preferential treatment for different programs, training, school, yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>>30651587
>would have been able to start earning at that level at the same time they entered the military

Hence "potentially". If you're a retard who is only fit for a faggot tier liberal arts degree and end up earning $30k a year for your first 5 years, then sure, GI bill is awesome. If you're getting engineer/doctor/lawyer material, it is demonstrably a massive waste of time and money.

>>30651908

even with that super generous math, 110k/4+20 is not a good number compared to starting salaries of professional fields. again, if your goal is to make shit money, then GI bill is great.

>Then theres the veteran preferential treatment for different programs

nigga cops and prison guards don't go to college (no, criminal justice does not count).
>>
>>30651704
>Durrr muh anecdote
>>
>>30651587
>who wants to join the military

You are correct, anyone who is dumb enough to want to join the military is not smart enough to have high potential earning power down the road.
>>
>>30652053
Like the founder of Fedex right? He's only worth 3.6 billion bucks, which is more than you'll ever see in your life : ^ )
>>
>>30652040
wow guess you're right after all. Really made me think
>>
>>30652080
Oh every military vet I know makes 150,000 a year

My statement holds as much water as yours does.
>>
>>30652068
>Durrr muh anecdote
>>
>>30652091
Really dipshit? Where did I say $150,000 a year? It was more to your retarded point that all they can go to is some diploma mill. great logic.
>>
>>30652068
>compares post-college volunteer during active conscription period to today's welfare queens
>>
ITT: civvies crying that bernie wont pay for their college

Enjoy your massive debt and working at star bucks off your degree that no one will hire you guys for : ^ )
>>
>>30651908
>Then theres the veteran preferential treatment for... school

Fun fact: my alma mater has a special dumbed down program for GI bill students who can't make it through the regular curriculum. They started the program just to get the federal monies for accepting retarded vets.
>>
Kek, the vast majority of college grads don't get jobs related in their field, this means they spent tens of thousands of dollars for degrees that don't really help them out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/05/20/only-27-percent-of-college-grads-have-a-job-related-to-their-major/

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/15/just-14-percent-of-this-years-college-grads-have-real-jobs-waiting/
>>
>>30652142
>thinks college is on-the-job training

kek
>>
>>30652109
Oh I'm sure your gender studies degree will help you pay off all that debt that daddy "Loaned" to you

Guess the only real job experience you need is the experience you have on your knees
>>
>>30652165
hows star bucks treatin' ya sweet heart ;)
>>
>>30652183

its ok, i prefer peets coffee

are all vets this sour because they pissed away 3 or 5 years only to get a semi-free useless degree and no job?
>>
>>30652216
Heey pretty sure I make more money than you and your parents combined but whatever makes you feel better. I know Bernies done and all, so no one will bail you out of all that money you owe for your gender studies degree.
>>
>>30652283
>Heey pretty sure I make more money than you and your parents combined

watch out everyone, got an internet tough guy here
>>
>>30652283
>gender studies degree

Is this what vets all tell themselves and each other to feel better about their shitty wasted years?

And just for the record, MSEE here. I did take a gender studies literature class freshman year though, shit was so cash.
>>
I used it along with the Texas Hazlewood Act to get my post graduate teachers certificate. Even though I didn't get 100% (Nasty Girl), the combination paid all of my tuition and fees, gave me about $1200 a month and along with my part time job allowed me to live a pretty decent life. I still have about 2 years left on it and the majority of my Hazlewood hours to pursue further degrees. It's way better than 1607 and 1606 GI Bills.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.