[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /k/ I'm writing a little bit of fiction regarding future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Scurry guns.jpg (580 KB, 864x720) Image search: [Google]
Scurry guns.jpg
580 KB, 864x720
Hey, /k/ I'm writing a little bit of fiction regarding future space colonies and corporate proxy wars and shit, but there are some things I'm unable to find reliable information on.

Let's just assume that a newly colonized world wouldn't have much in the way of an industrial base, and the best locally produced weapons would probably be black powder muskets just because they don't have the industry to produce useful amounts of standard cartridges. Now, let's say the colonists are having a bit of a dispute with an offworld mining corp that's staked out a particularly resource rich area on their planet. The colonists own the charter to the world, but the corporation claims to have bought resourcing rights to the planet. The colonists would just love to kick the claim jumpers out, but they have few modern weapons and a lot of muskets vs mercenaries armed with military surplus and class 3 body armor.

Long story short, I was wondering a few things:

Can you use a suppressor on a black powder or nitrocellulose musket?

How would a 50 cal musket do against modern body armor? And is it possible to jury rig up some kind of armor piercing ammo for a musket or is it just too low velocity?

How would you deal with a hind-equivalent gunship with wild-west era tech?
>>
>>30649791
I want to see a real life tacticool musket now.
>>
>>30650164
Make it happen anon. There are kits for black powder guns if I recall correctly. Glue on a fire select for the lulz
>>
>>30650391

I wish I could afford to spend money doing that.
>>
>>30649791
I would Imagine that planet, moon, and maybe large asteroid based colonies would have some sort of industrial capacity. Atleast to produce man portable tools and consumer goods. Probably not enough for vehicles or heavy machinery. If they didn't import weapons or had to deal with black powder, because bans or some shit, i would think people would turn to making gauss rifles, as battery tech and capacitor tech should make it feasible by the year 2XX6 that your setting is in.

But theoretically you should be able to supress black powder just fine. The real issue is going to be the build up fouling in the baffles of the suppressor. As for armor. Eh. A musket actually has more muzzle energy than an AR. So if you had a minie ball style projectile with jacketing. Or a saboted drill bit or something.

The rest of /k/ can call me out if I'm wrong. Because this is a halfassed response.
>>
>>30651409
Oh, also likely tactics would be
>IED/ambush a patrol with improv weapons
>Flee or remove weaponry from corpses
or
>hijack shipments/steal from storage.
>bribe less than loyal mercs to "lose" weapons or keys/cards maybe even shipments.
>>
Forgot your tactical pistol grip for your musket
>>
minie ball is accurate to 300 yard mass produced or 1000 yards more if the more heroic/crazy stories of sexy accurized rifles and confederate snipers are true.

Also they would fuck up modern armour that round is heavy as fuck.

Suppressing a musket would require enough tech and machinery know how to build AR-15's or at least a sten gun. A good suppressed musket equivalent could be a cross bow with future tech materials to make it quieter.

desu honest its hard to see what they are shot on on this colony if they need to use black powder. Maybe their fabricator database or something got fucked up or is owned by mega corp so they can't access knowledge to build more complex shit. The thing is that cased ammunition is really easy to make even if it only works 9/10 times which is enough for a resistance. And WWII era guns are super low part count. TT30 soviet pistols are less then 30 pieces of metal and any asshole can make a sten gun.

Maybe if metal is super precious musket would make sense but muskets require and equal amount of metal by weight as an AR-15 with alot of plastic or wood furniture.

Maybe the people on the colony can't make springs. Which is a hilarious problem to have but in make the muskets work. Although I feel like rebel officers would def. carry pistols of some kind.

I'm rambling at this point, and laughing about a world with finite springs
>>
>>30651409
why make space muskets instead of space Stens/Grease guns ?

If they have any basic half-assed modern industrial capacity they can get it done. Just flute the receiver and any other tubes housing sliding parts because the Black Powder reloads are going to cake that shit to the moon.
>>
>>30649791
>1.
I suppose so.No real reason to though as they wouldn't give you much in the way of hearing damage anyway.
>2.
Not very much.While heavy the round is slow and not shaped right for armor piercing. You might be able to make something but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be cheap, viable or easy.I'm no expert though.
>3.
Fire all the cannons and hide in the basement.
>>
the more I think about finite spring planet the better the idea gets... and it eliminates the sten problem
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.