[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about hunting whitetail /k/. Never done anything related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Thinking about hunting whitetail /k/.

Never done anything related to hunting. Know nothing about hunting.

Where do I start?

>pic unrelated
>>
Take a hunter-safety course.
It will basically go over alot of fundamentals of firearm safety in the woods.
It will basically have to hunting strategy's but it could seriously save a life.
>>
>>30645251
I was expecting some tips/tricks from experienced freezer-fillers
>>
>>30645264
No, go get some safety lessons before you go in the woods.
>>
>>30645264
use a scentless detergent with no UV brightness. Deer can see in UV and they'll run away.

Deer vision is based on movement and siluets, use ambushing tactics. obscure your silhouette as much as possible.

Doe piss will attract bucks, but be sure to get a super sealed container cause the buck might start moving towards you to find the doe, spot you, and run away.

Deer don't look up very often, advanced hunters abuse this.
>>
>>30645296
So basically just act like I'm a horny doe while being as hidden as possible?
>>
>>30645355
yeah, all bucks want to do is fuck and eat grass, and sense you can't lure them with grass you gotta lure them with the ass.
>>
>>30645296
silhouette ?
>>
>>30645405
Alright, so what along the lines of weapons? (What caliber is best, bow or rifle, anything else I should keep on me for future reference?)
>>
>>30645412
probably, my english isn't very good and you people steal so many words from the french its impossible to keep track.
>>
>>30645428
I like .308 bolt actions. Practice ammo is cheap so you can practice like crazy and it's more than capable of taking a deer.
>>
>>30645428
the lowest you can go for deer hunting is a .223, but not every state allows hunting with that small of a cartridge. pretty much every state allows .308 though, and its a much better cartridge for a beginner.

bow hunting deer is for people who are really good at the bushcraft of hunting, which you aren't obviously. You'll very rarely get the killshot on a deer with a bow the first time so you'll need to track it and put it out of its misery fast.
>>
>>30645428
Please do not hunt with a bow for the first time.

Fucking sick of seeing deer with arrows in the guts of really nice bucks from people that didn't know shit about hunting. with a bow.
>>
>>30645296
>Deer don't look up very often, advanced hunters abuse this.
>advanced
Using a tree stand is not advanced, it's about the most pussy thing to hunt from besides a box stand.

>ground stalking master race
>>
>>30645553
"advanced" as in "people who abuse deer psychology"
>>
>>30645520
Eventually I'd like to start using a bow and track Elk, but that's probably way out of my league right now.
>>
>>30646034
I've been bowhunting for maybe ten years and have killed a couple deer with a bow, I'm thinking about taking this bow season off just to refresh and practice a shit ton with a bow. I haven't wounded anything but it's way too easy to fuck up and I don't feel as confident this year. Stick with guns, they're easy, and practice your bow until it's boring then practice some more.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.