[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can wargame train me to be a military commander?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: capture.jpg (270 KB, 1063x1500) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
270 KB, 1063x1500
Can wargame train me to be a military commander?
>>
probably not a really good one
>>
yes. Rommel played board wargames in his childhood.
>>
Totally.
>>
No. That's Combat Mission's job.
>>
>>30645182
>Can wargame train me to be a military commander?
>>>

No. Try US football.
>>
in the most shallow way possible, yes, because it can teach you the dangers of moving armor in a contested city, and the value of concealment.

other than that it's not a very realistic game. the biggest problem is the ranges. most ATGM only outrange tank guns by about 800m, and neither of those can shoot over 3km.

it's very much a game. it's a RTS with units grounded in reality.
>>
Total War can teach you more about ancient warfare than almost any modern game can teach you about modern warfare
>>
File: Surgeon Simulator.jpg (141 KB, 1220x636) Image search: [Google]
Surgeon Simulator.jpg
141 KB, 1220x636
>>30645182
In the same way this game will make you a professional surgeon in all areas of medicine
>>
>>30645285
So its a solid maybe?
>>
>>30645227
>it's a RTS with units grounded in reality.
>grounded in reality
>almost every unit on REDFOR is fantasy
>>
>>30645182
yes, just like watching hentai makes you a sex god
>>
>>30645348
>almost every
don't be hyperbolic. at least 2/3 of them actually went into production
>>
>>30645348
Can you name few? I don't have red dragon, only airland battle, and it seemed pretty realistic (or at least authentic) with only few prototypes here and there.
>>
FUCKING PLEB LEAVE THIS BOARD NOW
t:command ops and combat mission patritian
>>
>>30645425
Red Dragon went a bit crazy with prototype units because of the 90s timeframe extension.
>>
>>30645373
Well I did become a sex god through reading and watching hentai, so I don't think your analogy works.
Maybe HoI3 makes you a commander.
>>
No, it's kind of a shitty game. It had potential but Eugen a shit.
>>
>>30645395
>>30645425

Being in production doesn't excuse fantasy stats.

This is just a quick glance through USSR.

>Konkurs-M, RPG-29, Metys-M all being able to frontal Leo 2a5s and M1A2s
>Spets being competent
>Buratino
>Tunguskas 9M331M ( The missile ) outranging any 8km missile ( Hellfire ) and not being radar
>Any T-series tank without ERA on the sides having more than 3-5 AV
>Any T-series tank having the same HP as any western tank
>Any T-series tank that's capable of mounting GLATGMs gets them despite that not being the case ever and them almost universally reserved for command units
>Ka-52 has stealth
>Ka-52 has SEAD x 2 when it should be x 1 at most ( Which is made worse when its the ONLY non air-tab unit to have SEAD, and other countries who actually mounted SEAD on their helis don't get them )
>Spets GRU
>Skrez
>BRDM-3
>BTR-90
>BTR-T, out of time frame, even says so in the game
>BMP-3s missile outranging tank guns ever
>Any variant of hind
>IL-102
>Mig-27 and variants
>Mig-29M
>Su-27M
>Yak-141

Not even going to bother talking about naval, it's broken shit.
>>
>>30645518
I think the stupid amount of prototype units from the 90's helped ruin it. That and the lack of proper matchmaking.

>no ere specific matchmaking
>no deck-specific matchmaking
>everyone just spams 90's prototype units or quits once their heli rush fails.
>>
>>30645518
this
>>30646067
>sovbashing
fuck off blu
>>30646809
iktf
no Turkey blu-on-blu sim
>>
>>30645182
No but it will train you to hate your incompetent team mates and feel nothing but disgust for a gaming community
>>
>>30645182
Lolno, there's plenty of broken shit in the game. It may help to teach about things like logistics and the importance of good reconnaissance, but the game falls short in a lot of areas. Also if your teammates suck then you're basically fucked, unless the other team sucks even harder. Couple tips
>if it looks like you will lose ground, start creating lines of defense behind the front line. These can act as reserves if the situation changes and you want to push forward
>leave some AA in your rear in case the enemy tries to helo rush
>cheap atgm vehicles may die easily, but enough of them can fuck up a heavy armor charge
>MOVE YOUR FUCKING ARTILLERY AFTER YOU SHOOT
>Never shoot arty next to a FOB
>if possible, move your units around when you're on the defense to throw off enemy arty
>lots of non-radar AA systems helps tremendously since wild weasel aircraft won't be hitting anything
>well supported veteran line infantry can fuck up special forces
>there is no such thing as too much anti-air units
>use fucking smoke, it's there for a reason
>>
>>30647026
>tfw they nerfed smoke because people would play as Canada and just hot-box an entire 2km radius with the Bison's smoke rounds and push Elite infantry through the smoke instakilling anything they run into.
>>
>>30646067
wait what the hell is your problem with the Skrezhet? it's a terrible unit, it has like 15% accuracy, and terrible range. how on earth can that trigger you?
>>
>>30645221
wat
>>
lolnope, the real professionals play Command, pic related

>tfw me and my coworkers are currently simulating a conflict between India and South Africa with autistic levels of detail
>>
>>30647416
link please
>>
>>30647815

Not him but here
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:80E10AC602B5BB7C86D53021FD4082DC7FCAADCB&dn=CommandModernAirNavalOperations&tr=http%3a%2f%2fbt.rutracker.org%2fann%3fuk%3dcghmZgbUr6&tr=http%3a%2f%2fretracker.local%2fannounce

Run the crack during installation
>>
>>30647836
thanks my man
>>
>>30645241
so, best way to win a battle in Sengoku period Japan was to occupy high ground, hide commander behind the army, separate a squadron of cavalry from the main force & hide it out of sight, wait for enemy to pass the hiding place & attack their commander with the cavalry while they are preoccupied with attacking your main force?
>>
>>30648021
hammer and anvil.

The Romans had a huge loss where they got kitted up the middle and then flanked both sides. Know how people get crushed to death in nightclubs that catch fire? That's what happens to a formation when you hit it with a cavalry charge.
>>
No because charisma and dealing with people is an important aspect of being a military officer.
>>
>>30648021
yes, best way not the most used due to "honor" and shit
>>
File: 20160716111726_1.jpg (252 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160716111726_1.jpg
252 KB, 1920x1080
>>30645218

you mean Graviteam's job
>>
gib me more game recs
>>
>>30651007

>>30647416
yes
>>30649306
yes
>>30645218
and yes

Also look at some of the old Jane's games from the 90s like Fleet Command
>>
>>30651052
is combat mission turn based, cuz thats gay and unrealistic
>>
>>30651058
The old ones are, the new ones have the option to choose which mode to play on
>>
>>30651052
Which version(s) of Graviteam and Combat Mission are best? It looks like both have multiple releases.
>>
>>30651309
That just depends on what era/theatre you like best. Stay away from the combat mission games with the shitty graphics, they don't have real-time combat
>>
>>30651309

Graviteam is two games, Operation Star and Mius Front. Mius Front is new, OpStar is a few years old. The brand used to Achtung Panzer: Operation Star, but Paradox jewed them out of the name.

OpStar has a bunch of DLC which adds various WW2 Eastern Front operations and some Cold War scenarios (USSR vs Iran, South Africa vs Cuba in Angola), Mius Front doesn't have any yet because its like three months old. OpStar is usually pretty cheap on sale.

Mius Front is an improved engine with a revamped UI (which is still opaque as fuck) and generally improved functionality for the same overall gameplay. AI is better and the engine can handle significantly larger numbers of units. In a couple years Mius Front will be the clear choice, but for now OpStar+DLC has more variety and is worth getting unless you're mainly just interested in the Eastern Front.
>>
>>30651669

If you're mainly interested in the Cold War stuff you want Operation Star (which is the base game) and the "Operation Hooper" and "Shield of the Prophet" DlCs. There's also Zhalanashkol, which is a 1960s Sino-Soviet border skirmish, which is interesting but a much smaller-scale operation (it's meant to recreate the historical skirmish, so its basically just a couple platoons of infantry and a BTR), so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you exhaust the first two.

Hooper probably has the most variety, its a combined-arms operation in jungle and open terrain with a bunch of leg infantry supported by IFVs and some tanks. Shield Prophet is a very large armor-centric operation in a mostly flat desert plain with a few dry riverbeds and a small town. Both of them have a good deal of replay value.
>>
>>30651431
>>30651669
>>30651828
Cool. Thanks for the information, /k/omrades.
>>
>>30647300
massive butthurt over getting his cheapo heliborne infantry assraped by well placed Shkerzet
i've seen it happen
hell, i've made it happen a few times
>>
File: Bd5IqgoCcAAsim_.jpg (44 KB, 535x800) Image search: [Google]
Bd5IqgoCcAAsim_.jpg
44 KB, 535x800
>>30645182
Is hearts of iron a fun game?
>>
>>30652094
never playd it
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.