[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is an Automatic rifle the same as a machine gun? Which suppresses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 300x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 300x365
Is an Automatic rifle the same as a machine gun? Which suppresses better?
>>
Gonna need to define your terms, friendo :^)
>>
>>30642052
ayy tee eff says automatic rifles are "machine guns"
>>
>>30642067
Honestly, I hate firearm terms, including the term firearm. Like, who the fuck called it a machine gun? All guns are machines.
>>
>>30642067
Browning automatic rifles vs Machine guns.
>>
File: 1468069096766.png (73 KB, 255x289) Image search: [Google]
1468069096766.png
73 KB, 255x289
>>30642052
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_gun
>A machine gun is a fully automatic mounted or portable firearm, designed to fire bullets in quick succession from an ammunition belt or magazine, typically at a rate of 300 to 1800 rounds per minute. Fully automatic firearms are generally categorized as submachine guns, assault rifles, battle rifles, automatic shotguns, machine guns, or autocannons. Machine guns with multiple rotating barrels are referred to as "rotary machine guns."

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_rifle
>An automatic rifle is a type of magazine-fed rifle that uses either its recoil or a portion of the gas propelling the projectile to remove the spent cartridge case, cock the rifle, load a new cartridge and fire again repeatedly, as long as the trigger is held down or until the magazine is exhausted. Automatic rifles are distinguished from semi-automatic rifles in their ability to fire more than one shot in succession once the trigger is pulled. Many automatic rifles are select-fire weapons which are capable of firing in fully automatic and semi-automatic modes, or in some cases, even being capable of burst-fire.

Do people just go straight to 4chan with questions instead of even considering thinking about attempting to maybe possibly try to make an effort to look for the answer first?
>>
>>30642100
What kind of machine guns? Light machine guns? General-purpose machine guns? Heavy machine guns? Submachine guns? Automatic weapons in general?

>>30642092
They're a necessary evil if you want to categorize them.
>>
>>30642105
>They're a necessary evil if you want to categorize them.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the accepted meaning, but because they're so vague you can do anything with them. You have definitions that differ when you speak about something from various contexts. Machine gun in military terms is different from another military terms, which is different from various legal terms, consumer market terms, and even our individual understanding of it.

It's fucking weird and annoying, I hate how languages develop lol.
>>
>>30642105
Like the Browning automatic. Is it a machine gun? Does it shoot more bullets than the MG42?
>>
>>30642335
No and no, are you just being retarded?
>>
>>30642101
That definition for machine gun is wrong though
>>
>meanwhile in day/k/are
>>
>>30642455
How?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.