[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With all the ridiculous shit going on in the news, I figure it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: pix438399614[1].jpg (19 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
pix438399614[1].jpg
19 KB, 640x360
With all the ridiculous shit going on in the news, I figure it's probably a good idea to prepare for the worst. I figure I should finally buy a firearm, I was thinking of going with an SKS, probably either a yugoslav or a norinco. I figure now is a good time since Hillary has a good chance at becoming president, and that will probably drive up gun prices.

So, I ask, is the SKS a good first rifle, or even a good rifle in general?
>>
>>30636837
hey man if ya live in the florida panhandle and can legally own a firearm I got a shotgun for sale.

Im legitimately not part of the ATF
>>
>>30636837
I recommend the Yugo model. Most of the ones coming in are unissued. Don't fall for the chrome-lined bore meme, it's literally a non-issue since corrosive ammo for the most part is dried up.
>>
>>30636837
It was the nugget before the Mosin was the nugget, so yes.
>>
>>30636899
I actually live in Florida, but I can't really make it to the pan handle. Sorry pal.

>>30636925
Any reason in particular?
>>
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/571532652
>>
>>30636837
The SKS?

Get a Chinese one, for the chrome-lined barrel. The Yugos all have been shot a lot with corrosive primed ammo, and have no chrome. Their bores all look like rusty sewer pipes.

Is the SKS a good first rifle? Not really. A good first rifle would be a bolt-action or semiauto .22 with decent iron sights. Take it to a few Appleseed workshops, learn to shoot it.

Is the SKS a good rifle in general? well, it's mostly the early 20th Century's idea of an infantry rifle. It loads from the top with these really awkward stamped sheet metal clips, like something from the late 19th Century. It does use the 7.62x39mm cartridge, which is (for the moment) cheap and plentiful in the US, though almost all of it is imported. Is it especially accurate? No, not really. It's rugged and reliable, very resistant to abuse and neglect. For the year 2016 it's comically heavy for the pissant 7.62x39mm cartridge--it's almost as heavy as a Garand, which is around twice as powerful. It's not especially accurate--it's unusual for them to shoot better than 3-4 MOA with any consistency. The triggers are generally terribad, not that a n00b will know the difference. It only holds ten rounds and this isn't readily fixable. Yes, I know, there are aftermarket 20, 30, 40, whatever round capacity mags for it. All aftermarket parts for the SKS, without exception, are absolute dogshit. The "extended assault clips" don't work worth a shit. The "sporterized" stocks are flimsy plastic and look stupid.

You could do worse, I guess. You might want to consider something else, though. Like that .22 rifle I mentioned, to practice with. And if this is going to be for "the worse," i.e. self-defense, I'd recommend a more modern design. There's nothing wrong with the 7.62x39mm cartridge for antipersonnel work at bad-breath distances but you're going to want something with a detachable box mag--an AK--if you like that cartridge and are wedded to the idea of stockpiling it.
>>
>>30636975
I just said that most Yugos are in unissued condition compared to the well-used chinese guns you find in pawn shops.
>>
>>30636837
SKS is a preddy gud rifle, for innawoods. For any emergency type shit, it's probably not the best choice.

If you're in a urban environment, I'd say get an H&R pump action 20 gauge if you're a pussy. You can practice on 12 gauge bird shot and work your way up though, if you want to be a man.
>>
>>30637212
This anon again.

It isn't a bad idea to buy a stripped lower, or 80% at this point in time.
>>
>>30636837
SKS is noice, but consider that you can get 2x 12 gauge shotfuns for about the same price.

For a first rifle, get a bolt action .22 or a lever action 30-30.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.